does anyone here jog?

oldschoolsdime92

i've probably posted in this thread 10 or 15 pages back. 

I ran track and XC in high school.  Excelled at the 800, but gave it up to be lazy after school with my friends.  I did 2 tough mudders in 2013, and that was my most recent "training" program.

I've gotten back into the gym 2-3 days a week, and I have a mountain bike that I borrowed from JB, but running has been off my list of training activities lately.  I keep getting knee pain, and I'm too lazy/scared to have a doctor tell me something is torn...

I can still jog a 5k, and I plan to do so more when the weather turns and my daughter is able to come along for the ride in the jogging stroller, but I don't think my body will tolerate longer distances anymore.  The tough mudders were 10+ miles, and while I felt like i was in decent shape for those, I never really ran more than 6-8 miles preparing for it.

Aside from 'regular' weight training, I primarily ran a 1.5 mile loop in the park.  It was a good mix of flat and hills, and I would stop and do pullups and pushups to failure at the start of each lap.  At the time, I was getting 8-12 pullups and 25+ pushups pretty consistently.  That's essentially the perfect way to train for an obstacle race, because you're constantly trying to perform a strength task while out of breath, or run right after a strength task.   I wish we had run more hills.

Sure, I'll sell you some :lol: best thing I can recommend, is just coming out to ride, download " lose it" on your phone and track your calories and work hard =) 

Once I get the old DBR bike serviced, it's going to get heavily flogged this season ( and I mean heavily in both contexts )

i've probably posted in this thread 10 or 15 pages back. 

I ran track and XC in high school.  Excelled at the 800, but gave it up to be lazy after school with my friends.  I did 2 tough mudders in 2013, and that was my most recent "training" program.

I've gotten back into the gym 2-3 days a week, and I have a mountain bike that I borrowed from JB, but running has been off my list of training activities lately.  I keep getting knee pain, and I'm too lazy/scared to have a doctor tell me something is torn...

I can still jog a 5k, and I plan to do so more when the weather turns and my daughter is able to come along for the ride in the jogging stroller, but I don't think my body will tolerate longer distances anymore.  The tough mudders were 10+ miles, and while I felt like i was in decent shape for those, I never really ran more than 6-8 miles preparing for it.

Aside from 'regular' weight training, I primarily ran a 1.5 mile loop in the park.  It was a good mix of flat and hills, and I would stop and do pullups and pushups to failure at the start of each lap.  At the time, I was getting 8-12 pullups and 25+ pushups pretty consistently.  That's essentially the perfect way to train for an obstacle race, because you're constantly trying to perform a strength task while out of breath, or run right after a strength task.   I wish we had run more hills.

tough mudder would be brutal. Good work. I would happily go ride 200 miles on my road bike before I started on that :lol: I dont feel bad after a 5k, but I have a mental fight at that point. I have a hard time making myself push toward a 10. I would agree with you, I wish we had hills here as well. I may have to follow you on the pull ups and push ups situation, just to mix things up a bit. 

• 2 months later...

I'm about to start, treadmill for now then I'll move out side. Been dieting for 3 weeks and down 20 lbs, I wanted to detox my body before I started doing any cardio because I would have felt like shit and gotten discouraged.

I'm down 20 since the end of Jan...exercising but literally tracking everything I eat my the MyFitnessPal app.

I'm not tracking just eating the same things every day. I have to have routine when I do this, only way I can do it.

You go Jared :trollface:

It works. Only thing I change daily is the type of meat for dinner (chicken, fish, pork, tofu) and the seasoning I put on it. And maybe a different blend of steam vegetable with my dinner.

Here is a question I have for ya'll. Is it true that it's best to do cardio or run un the morning while your body is fasted? I heard that's best because your body will burn more stored energy (i.e. Fat) when it's in the fasted state before you consume anything in the mornings than it would say if you worked out in the afternoon after work. I've heard if you exercise mid day after a meal or two you are just burning what's in your digestive regions.

Your body is going to use what it easy. That being said, it really doesn't matter. If you think about it, burning 500 cal running is still going to use up 500 cal so it really doesn't matter if you do it before or after you eat. Just don't eat to compensate for the 500 you just burned off.

The fuel you burn first is carbs, which are stored in your blood and liver.  If you eat in the morning and go jogging the carbs you burn will be from last night's dinner not from breakfast. It doesn't get there that fast.

• Upvote 1

If you research it, it's a hotly debated topic i.e.- it either hasn't been definitively proven/debunked or more likely, it varies person to person.

Personally, I find that doing a strenuous workout (intervals, hardcore lifting) in a fasted state generally leads to me feeling fatigued much earlier and therefore I don't get as much out of the workout as I would otherwise. This is especially true if I'm cutting carbs. Therefore, I try not to exercise unless I've eaten something within an hour prior, even if it's just a piece of fruit. If I'm walking or other low intensity activity, I find no difference. I ALWAYS eat/drink a mix of protein and carbs afterward and if you are cutting carbs, after exercise is the best time to consume them.

It works for me...it takes a while to find the balance of too much/too little. Let me also qualify it by saying simple carbs. I generally don't count carbs in veggies unless they are high on the GI.

Edited by ScubaCinci

8 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Weird. I exercise so I can eat whatever I want. Why do you do it?

Since I need to lose weight and not maintain, my diet/exercise is geared towards weight loss but also for the overall health benefit.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I don't run. I hike, though. 

I haven't done any serious hiking in years.  I have a buddy that does multi-day hikes on the Appalachian trail.  I'm thinking about joining him this year.

If I go, I try to be as self sufficient as possible.  I'll make some beef jerky and other dehydrated food.

On March 6, 2016 at 0:39 PM, ScubaCinci said:

If you research it, it's a hotly debated topic i.e.- it either hasn't been definitively proven/debunked or more likely, it varies person to person.

Personally, I find that doing a strenuous workout (intervals, hardcore lifting) in a fasted state generally leads to me feeling fatigued much earlier and therefore I don't get as much out of the workout as I would otherwise. This is especially true if I'm cutting carbs. Therefore, I try not to exercise unless I've eaten something within an hour prior, even if it's just a piece of fruit. If I'm walking or other low intensity activity, I find no difference. I ALWAYS eat/drink a mix of protein and carbs afterward and if you are cutting carbs, after exercise is the best time to consume them.

^^ This is pretty much how my body operates as well. There is nothing worse than being 10 miles from home and feeling like death. Awhile back, I went out for a 40ish mile road bike ride, and the last 10 miles, were the worst 10 miles of my life. I didn't have enough food with me. I mentally had to force my legs to push, and I puttered along at a mere 8 miles an hour for last 10, because thats ALL I could do. r