does anyone here jog?

oldschoolsdime92

I've started running again about 3 weeks ago. I have been doing 4-6 miles with a 10 minute/mile pace. Goal is 10 miles at a 10 min pace by Oct. 1. Been slacking this week pretty badly. I try to run at least 4 times a week, but prefer 5-6.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I ran just under 2 miles a few days ago. I have had to convert to bicycling. I couldn't stand the constant ache in my knees running. I've been riding my bmx bike( I raced for years) about 10 miles few nights a week. I've also been going to the bmx track pretty regularly and practicing. Most of last winter I spent at the indoor bmx track running gate practice. I'm down 37 lbs thus far. I'd like to loose another 20.

What shoes are you using? I wouldnt recommend any of the minimalist running shoes if your knees are weak...i would assume you need some cushioning. Brookes and Asics Gel Kayano are great shows as well. Go to a legitimate running store:

http://www.runnersplus.com/

http://upandrunningindayton.com/

Tell them your issues, bring in an old pair of running shoes and theyll match you to the perfect shoe.

What shoes are you using? I wouldnt recommend any of the minimalist running shoes if your knees are weak...i would assume you need some cushioning. Brookes and Asics Gel Kayano are great shows as well. Go to a legitimate running store:

http://www.runnersplus.com/

http://upandrunningindayton.com/

Tell them your issues, bring in an old pair of running shoes and theyll match you to the perfect shoe.

To expand on this a bit, a really good fitting pair of shoes is a start. A good pair of insoles makes a great shoe amazing. I had to go with a cheaper shoe most recently, new balance, but I use good feet insoles. They make all the difference in body alignment. A pro is a great way to get good shoes and they should be recommending insoles too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

What shoes are you using? I wouldnt recommend any of the minimalist running shoes if your knees are weak...i would assume you need some cushioning.

Really? Everyone I've talked to who uses some sort of minimalist shoe says they're easier on your knees. The reason is that you're forced to maintain a proper midfoot/forefoot strike instead of heel striking. Mid/forefoot striking takes advantage of the natural spring/cushion afforded by the entire muscular system of your legs and back, instead of relying on an inch or less of foam rubber.

I'm running the Air Force half marathon tomorrow. What I've discovered while training all through the spring and summer is that if running hurts your knees, you're probably doing it wrong. And I have bad knees to start with, including a reconstructed ACL and meniscus tears in my right knee.

Nike is free, well came installed on my phone.

Do you still have to buy the Nike+ thing that goes in your shoe? Chip/sensor or what ever its called. I used to have a pair of Nike+ Shox and there was a compartment in the shoe for it.

Nevermind. I looked up the app.

I've been using MapMyRun/MapMyRide for awhile now. Pretty slick little app, but of course has all the limitations of a phone-based GPS. Hopefully when I get a better phone it'll be more precise, but for now it's pretty decent for free.99.

Really? Everyone I've talked to who uses some sort of minimalist shoe says they're easier on your knees. The reason is that you're forced to maintain a proper midfoot/forefoot strike instead of heel striking. Mid/forefoot striking takes advantage of the natural spring/cushion afforded by the entire muscular system of your legs and back, instead of relying on an inch or less of foam rubber.

I'm running the Air Force half marathon tomorrow. What I've discovered while training all through the spring and summer is that if running hurts your knees, you're probably doing it wrong. And I have bad knees to start with, including a reconstructed ACL and meniscus tears in my right knee.

+1

This was the barefoot style I was mentioning earlier.

However there are ultra light running shoes with a more traditional drop from heel to toe that can encourage heel strikes without as much cushion as the more supportive shoes. I would avoid these.

Craig

+1

This was the barefoot style I was mentioning earlier.

However there are ultra light running shoes with a more traditional drop from heel to toe that can encourage heel strikes without as much cushion as the more supportive shoes. I would avoid these.

Craig

I have these currently

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:179966/sku:201571/saucony-progrid-kinvara-3-mens/white/blue/&SID=5506&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Engine-_-Google-_-Plusbox

Looking to get those barefoot style ones soon

I use the endomondo app too, I like it. Granted I just started running last thursday and only used the app 3 times.

Ive used the Endomondo app also. Pretty nice to give route as well as basic pace, time, speed. I guess more features are available if you pay for the Pro.

Only problem was when there was a GPS hiccup in my phone and suddenly my 2.5 mile run went through Ontario :eek:

My pace was incredible. :D

Craig

Ive used the Endomondo app also. Pretty nice to give route as well as basic pace, time, speed. I guess more features are available if you pay for the Pro.

Only problem was when there was a GPS hiccup in my phone and suddenly my 2.5 mile run went through Ontario :eek:

My pace was incredible. :D

Craig

:lol:

Well, this thread got me going again. I just got done jogging - took the dog out.

The dog may get you out, but most are not good training partners. Dogs want to go out fast and stop after a couple miles.

There are plenty of online schedules for training for a half marathon. My brother was in town on Friday and we ran 8+ miles Saturday morning. I alternate between 3.x mile loops and a 5.2 mile "out and back" route averaging around 8 minute miles for the long loop. Doing 8+ miles at a 10 minute pace was pretty easy...

So especially when time is at a premium, a faster 5-9 mile training routine will still allow you to finish a half marathon. In any case, you want to alternate LSD (long slow distance) with shorter runs at "race" pace.

Oh I dunno, my dog is a pretty good training partner, so long as it isn't too hot. He'll do five miles without a problem at a pretty good clip. He's not average, I suppose, but I did a 5k earlier this year for a local animal shelter, and there were a whole lot of dogs there that were pretty impressive distance runners. Like everything else, they just have to be trained for it.

Also with endomondo go to Setting--> Workout settings--->Auto pause and turn it off. I had it on once and it will stop and start all the time even if your still moving. I dont know if its a lag problem with the GPS or what but i have let it off and havent had a problem. As far as accuracy goes everytime it chimes in with mile stats im always in the same spot within reason.

Many dogs can be good training partners but they have to train like the humans. On one message board someone said they had done several 10k runs with their chihuahua :eek:

I've watched a couple athletic dogs in the neighborhood with runners and cyclists. Some of these dogs appear to be loafing along while the human is doing a pretty good pace.

It all depends on the build and fitness of the dog.

Craig

Many dogs can be good training partners but they have to train like the humans. On one message board someone said they had done several 10k runs with their chihuahua :eek:

That's no joke, either! My dog is a 75 lb lab mix, in great shape. We run all the damn time, and I usually the one slowing him down. But that 5k we did for the shelter, there was this little terrier thingy that just SMOKED us! You wouldn't believe how fast his little legs were moving!