114 members have voted

1. 1. Should HB191 be passed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I wrote up really quick. You might want to edit/proof read. I've been sick and my brain just isn't working right now.

name

address

city, state zip

phone

email

date

The Honorable (senators name)

Senate Building

1 Capitol Square, 1st Floor

Columbus, OH 43215

Dear Senator (senators name):

I am writing as a concerned constituent regarding the bill modifying

the offense and definition of "street racing". Passage of a this bill

will be detrimental to many small Ohio businesses including automotive

performance part stores, motorcycle dealerships, motorcycle parts and

accessories stores, etc... as well as damage motorcycling in Ohio as a whole.

Under this bill, any riding/driving outside of what's deemed normal

can and will be considered "street racing". As an avid motorcyclist,

I'm outraged. Under this bill, a spirited ride through Hocking Hills,

a higher than normal rate of acceleration on an on-ramp to reach the

speed limit, taking a corner "faster than normal", et cetera could all be

considered "street racing" even though until now no laws were being

broken. In addition to this, if found guilty, the offender will lose

their motorcycle and face steeper penalties than if they'd been

intoxicated white operating a motor vehicle. I find it impossible to

believe I'm the only person who finds a problem with this. I truly

believe the definition of "street racing" needs to be clarified.

I am asking you to please vote no on this bill in it's current form.

Thank you for taking the time to read of my concerns.

Sincerely,

name

Ok, so I've re-read the edited form you just posted.

I noticed that it states:

-Street racing is a first degree misdemeanor but they removed the part about mandatory loss of license for a minimum of 30 days or no more than 3 years.

-Street racing with nitrous is an instant felony in the 5th degree.

-Street racing with nitrous after previous offenses is a third degree felony if you're a repeat offender or you cause physical harm to property

-Street racing is a third degree felony if it's your 2nd offense or if harm was caused towards another individual.

That bill hurt my head to read...

It may not be enforced but it does make the cop able to profile more. If a car or bike all alone on a road is doing 5 over the speed limit, street racing can be applied. Leave from a light and someone chirps a tire you may get profiled for it. Almost miss a corner and turn hard, inpounded. There are tons of different scenarios all up to the officer, and if he does decide to say you were street racing the judge is mandated to take your car/bike. Basically all your hopes and dreams are in the hands of an officer that may or may not be having a bad day. It efects the hot rod/ show guys right down to the ricer tard with the wing and fart can.

If it does pass I hope the decline in revenue from Good Guys and Mopar nationals leaving Ohio that they will realize the mistake.

I couldn't have said this better. I own a 1970 dodge dart that is taken to Good guys, mopar nationals, and countless other shows. I can't tell you how many times I accidently chirp my tires when driving this car. I honestly mean accidental. This is going to cause more problems then its worth! So much for our weekend rides, and car shows for me! This pretty much sucks! Like Mike, said your fate is held in the hands of a cop who may or may not have had a bad day!

im confused on the nitrous thing....if i have a kit hooked up, but the bottle is removed from the car, is that illegal?

I would think it is ok, since the bottle of NOS is not in the car, but there might be some other law about possiblely "illegal modification" or consperisy to commit NOS........

Wonder if it would help if anyone on here who is a member of the AMA sent them an email alerting them to what's going on? Who knows, maybe they simply aren't aware of this bill and would start sending letters and stuff if someone gave them a heads up.

Bump to the top. This thing has me worried, when I had a nice modified car I can't tell you how much profiling I got. If they had the ability to just take it from me I would've lost it 5 times over for nothing more than a quick corner or just being in the wrong place when someone else decided to peel out.

Still waiting to see how it plays out, but if the threads start rolling in with people losing their bikes I'm out of this state.

AMA's response:

Dear Mr. Stillman:

Thank you for using the "Contact Us" feature at www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com <http://www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com> to share your concerns about Ohio House Bill 191.

The AMA is not tracking HB-191 and therefore has taken no position on the bill. I've read the bill and the Legislative Service Commission bill summary and don't see where responsible motorcyclists riding on public roadways should have an issue with this legislation.

A December 2 Columbus Dispatch article, "House votes to toughen street-racing penalties" (see http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/12/02/copy/StreetRace.ART_ART_12-02-09_B1_LEFS4AG.html?adsec=politics&sid=101) highlights the motivation for the bill.

We have chosen to focus our efforts on Senate Bill 65 and House Bill 128, legislation that would provide enhanced penalties for vehicle operators convicted of right-of-way, assured clear distance ahead, and marked lane violations that result in serious bodily harm or death to others. In many cases, motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians are injured or killed by other vehicle operators who drive distracted or simply don't care about others on the road. For years, the riding community has called for action on this issue. The "I didn't see the motorcycle" excuse is getting old.

Thanks again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Mr. Imre F. Szauter

Government Affairs Manager

American Motorcyclist Association

13515 Yarmouth Drive

Pickerington, OH 43147-8214

1 (800) AMA-JOIN

1 (614) 856-1900, ext. 1125

I'm really surprised by this.

They're not paying attention to the loosely laid fine print! Anyone have a contact for the SEMA action network? This would seriously kill sales on nitrous for SEMA sponsoring vendors. Money talks to them, and if a state is outlawing something that loses those companies money, then they will lobby.