114 members have voted

1. 1. Should HB191 be passed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think this is a picket line you want the media involved in.

This is a 'bleeding heart' issue and they'll rake you guys over the coals and paint you out as the 'wannabe guys on crotch rockets that street race' - trust me, the media/public won't be on our side on this one. Think about the AMA response to your letter.

Just keep fighting the good fight by writing letters to the General Assembly and let larger orgs take up the cause, if they dare.

Letters? Really that's all we have? We're fucked. Im suprised to see you roll over on this jrm.

I don't like it, but getting the media involved and trying to picket this cause isn't going to help us politically.

1: "What are these people picketing?"

2: "They're against stiffer penalties for street racing"

1: "O rly?"

You can try to rationalize and debate all you want, but the media isn't going to report it. They're going to report what gives them rating, and that's the story "Street Racers picket against stiffer penalties" - and queue clip of the bleeding heart story of why this bill was even introduced, cut back to picketers against cause to prevent street racing injuries and deaths.

Who comes out the bad guy on this one?

This is like the abortion thing. If you're not pro-life, the opposite isn't pro-choice (according to die-hard prolifers) - it's pro-baby killing. So, if you're not against street racing, you're for it.

I can see how this would all play out now. The media route isn't the way to go. It's the only recourse once cops begin abusing it, because there's good ratings on 'cop abuse of power' stories, but the 'general public' (and this is a wild ass assumption) probably isn't tolerant of anything that is pro-street racing, and that's exactly what you'll be painted out to be.

Another modified letter.........

Dear Senator,

There is a bill that just passed the House that I am concerned about (H. B. No. 191)"Street Racing". I do not condone any kind of street racing and I understand that recently someone was killed as a result of street racing. However I do not think we should have a knee jerk reaction with an all-encompassing piece of legislation like this.

Street racing is already illegal so my concern is about the details of this bill. It expands the definitions of street racing so far and sets the punishment so harshly that I fear it could impact normally passive drivers who find themselves in difficult traffic conditions. It may impact the antique and classic car shows that bring much needed business to our state. It also leaves too much interpretation of "what" is street racing with the officer. (It includes single vehicle excel and braking provisions) I would like to think that before someone’s vehicle can be taken from them, that more have to happen than an officer implying that I was excelling too hard or braking too hard. Ohio already has a reputation as being heavy handed on motorists. This bill is a club in those hands.

I am asking you to vote against this bill Sir. It just needlessly expands the definition and punishment for an act that is already illegal.

Thank you for your time.

You MIGHT want to fix a couple minor things, like excel? It's accel, and accelling. (sorry to be the spelling/grammar police, just thought it might help, seeing where it's going!)

whatsup with every organization named "ama" taking a dive for political correctness!?

Good find Casper, I'm gonna pass this along to other people on ohio forums for cars as well. I don't think anyone disagrees that street racing should be illegal but way too much ambiguity in this bill.

This is ridiculous! I have drafted a letter below. I am not so much a talented write so any critique is welcome. I will be sending it tomorrow with whatever changes you guys help me out with.

"Senator,

My name is Justin Adams and I have been recently informed of a bill that has passed the house in relation to “street racing”. Some concerns with the bill include the vast ambiguity of the conditions considered to be street racing. I do not participate, nor do I endorse street racing of any level. I am a spirited driver no less and would not be happy about having my car taken away simply because an officer makes a determination that I was accelerating/decelerating too quickly. Especially when it is based on nothing more than the opinion of the officer that witnessed it happening. Can you tell me how a standard will be set for measuring acceleration and deceleration? One officer to the next, these opinions could vary creating an inconsistent understanding of what is and is not ok to do on the roads. Certain traffic situations require aggressive braking and accelerating to maneuver into or out of traffic. Also, how can you be racing while by yourself? These loosely defined definitions of street racing will do nothing more than promote more court time in the system from people fighting to get their vehicle back because of being falsely accused of street racing. There are many events throughout the year for automotive and motorcycle enthusiast alike that will be greatly affected by this bill coming to fruition. I am all for stricter fines/punishment for true street racing. It is not safe or responsible and those who participate do deserve to be punished. I am available for any questions I can answer for you. If you need someone to be an advocate against street racing, I have no problem with that as well. I am a sales manager at a motorcycle dealership and would be happy to circulate any safety print material you have in relation to the subject. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I appreciate anything you can do to tighten this bill up."

Let me know what you guys think. I cannot believe something like this can even be considered.

AMA probably isn't concerned because there are other states with the same or similar wording and strict enforcement without any issues. Parts of CA have units devoted to going after "street racers" and chirping your tires near them wouldn't make them bat an eye. Peeling out though will get your car taken and yes there's an obvious difference even my 9 yo could tell.

I agree the language is a bit vague (and the punishment in some cases complete BS), but I'm willing to bet this is nothing new to the AMA. We are no where near the first state to use that kind of language.

Edited by fusion

I think he is the last one in a caprice or crown Vic.

It says "Freeway Patrol" across the back of his tru k lid.

He like to stop people and say their bike is illegal and they are improperly displaying plates. Recently, IIRC, he has stopped giantXTC twice and made copper1K go to court over his plates. DA threw it out. Buncha other folks been stopped too. I've passed him 100 times on 71 between morse and 270.

thanks for the heads up for next year

AMA probably isn't concerned because there are other states with the same or similar wording and strict enforcement without any issues. Parts of CA have units devoted to going after "street racers" and chirping your tires near them wouldn't make them bat an eye. Peeling out though will get your car taken and yes there's an obvious difference even my 9 yo could tell.

I agree the language is a bit vague (and the punishment in some cases complete BS), but I'm willing to bet this is nothing new to the AMA. We are no where near the first state to use that kind of language.

In those states, the cops are used to the laws and the wording. Here, it would be a 'new' thing and you can be damned sure that the cops will be chomping at the bit to make examples of people and quite frankly, there are a -lot- of CPD and OHP officers out there that I wouldn't trust at all with the added power this law would give them.

In those states, the cops are used to the laws and the wording. Here, it would be a 'new' thing and you can be damned sure that the cops will be chomping at the bit to make examples of people and quite frankly, there are a -lot- of CPD and OHP officers out there that I wouldn't trust at all with the added power they already have.

There ya go, all fixed up.... Just sayin'...

In those states, the cops are used to the laws and the wording. Here, it would be a 'new' thing and you can be damned sure that the cops will be chomping at the bit to make examples of people and quite frankly, there are a -lot- of CPD and OHP officers out there that I wouldn't trust at all with the added power this law would give them.

I'm willing to bet they were saying the same thing in their states as well when these laws were new.

cruised thru this exchange and y'all need to contact Senators.

Senate president is Bill Harris, 614-466-8086, Floor leader Keith Faber 7584, Majority whip Mark Wagoner 8060.

Bill was a car dealer in Ashland (may still be).

The only thing new in this is what I'm perceiving as the "teeth" to seize private property. I can remember being pulled over by an OHP years ago as, (I) "was approaching 55 mph". I was on the ramp by Norwalk accelerating to merge with the traffic on SR20. No shit Farnesworth, it's a ramp, they are designed and built to have you merge with the road traffic. So there ya are...one complete ass for whatever trips his trigger will pull some crap-knowing that the potential is to seize your vehicle(?). Got the I'm gonna let ya go statement. No shit again.

Call Senators now!

There ya go, all fixed up.... Just sayin'...

They already have the power to pull me over for giving it the beans down an on ramp, charge me with street racing, and then take my bike? That's news to me. I could have sworn the whole point of this law was to redefine street racing; what's the point of doing so if they already can?

If this passes and someone here gets their bike taken because of that douchebag OHP officer that camps out on 71 and targets bikes, my first question will be "did you try to do anything about the new law?" If they say no, I'll have zero sympathy.

They already have the power to pull me over for giving it the beans down an on ramp, charge me with street racing, and then take my bike? That's news to me. I could have sworn the whole point of this law was to redefine street racing; what's the point of doing so if they already can?

If this passes and someone here gets their bike taken because of that douchebag OHP officer that camps out on 71 and targets bikes, my first question will be "did you try to do anything about the new law?" If they say no, I'll have zero sympathy.

Woah, woah, woah.... Easy now!

I was just sayin, that some of them can't be trusted with the power they have NOW, let alone if something like this comes about. Some people, when given power, will abuse it any way they feel like. THAT's what I was saying. Geesh....

Woah, woah, woah.... Easy now!

I was just sayin, that some of them can't be trusted with the power they have NOW, let alone if something like this comes about. Some people, when given power, will abuse it any way they feel like. THAT's what I was saying. Geesh....

My bad, I misunderstood :o I just get sick of people whining about a law/government program they could have at least attempted to change, but made no effort when it would have mattered. That's what I thought you ment; sorry about that, my mistake :)

Why do these threads always seem to turn into cop bashing bitch sessions? You guys do realize that the officers that kiss their families goodbye and go to work everyday aren't the one's that write the laws...right?

I agree 100%. I know a lot of cops and none of them are dicks. There are assholes in every profession. Just because your mom fucked the cable guy doesn't mean all cablemen fucked your mom.

I agree 100%. I know a lot of cops and none of them are dicks. There are assholes in every profession. Just because your mom fucked the cable guy doesn't mean all cablemen fucked your mom.

I don't know... I had a neighbor in college and poor little kid, I'm pretty sure his mom had fucked every cable guy...

and mailman, and UPS driver, pool boy... etc etc...

Not going back to read this whole thread. I don't see how this doesn't pass. It is very poorly written but the way it is presented no one in the house seems to care.

Nitrous can be installed it just needs to be made inoperable when used on the street. Second offenders loose their vehicles but lien holders maintain possession unless they are the offender. The bill has manslaughter in the title no matter what is in the bill the dumbasses are going to pass it, who thinks manslaughter is okay?

If a policeman is a dick he is going to be a dick. He already has enough laws to work with to be a dick. Hell, the real big dicks can just out right lie about you doing anything. I don't see how this is going to turn any current good cop into a dick.

There is enough ambiguity in this that a good lawyer should be able to get you out of most any of this if you have caused no harm. With that standard receiving a second conviction where you will forfeit property seems highly unlikely. I have the biggest problem with property seizure in this but don't see it as a problem in a practical cense. You don't cause manslaughter or harm property twice you get to keep your property. I highly doubt anyone will be harmed by this that doesn't bear some responsibility that most of us would agree with.

Don’t get me wrong I think this is a stupid unnecessary addition to existing laws but fighting it, in my opinion is futile.

Edited by Uncle Punk

Hmmmmmmmmmm........we have enough laws already defining racing and illegal street riding, this change is totally unnecessary.

That being said, I can easily see how cops that are punks (I'm sure its just in Mt. Vernon, not anywhere else in the state or mount vernon) that would abuse it.

Case in point - I got a ticket a few years back from one of mount vernon's finest for running a red light. Law states that if the light turns from yellow to red while car in in the intersection, car has the right to finish crossing the box. Problem is I saw the light turn from yellow to red (in my rear view mirror) after I was completely through the intersection. Dooshbag says 'I wouldn't have stopped you but someone looked at me like I should do something' (I kid you not his exact words). I went to court to fight the ticket and the judge found in favor of the cop even though he was in the wrong.

Why do I mention this? To show how easily the changes give punk cops like this one too much power. 2 years previous to that ticket this same officer grilled me and a friend about riding our bikes - we just came back into town from working 2nd shift. We rode our bikes to his house, parked them in his garage, didn't see the cop the whole way. He drives up to the garage, calls us out on the mic, and starts grilling us - not for speeding, not for running a stop sign or light, not for improper lane change, just simply because he though we accelerated too fast from a stop. Should I lose my bike that I spent my hard earned money on, time out of my life that I would never get back just because some cop had someone stare him down?? Heck no bad cop no donut!!!!!