114 members have voted

1. 1. Should HB191 be passed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if it would help if anyone on here who is a member of the AMA sent them an email alerting them to what's going on? Who knows, maybe they simply aren't aware of this bill and would start sending letters and stuff if someone gave them a heads up.

Send emails to Motorcycle Riders Foundation -

Jeff@mrf.org

and

AMA

http://www.ama-cycle.org/

Click the Contact button in the upper right.

Its a start.

MD

Here's what I wrote up really quick. You might want to edit/proof read. I've been sick and my brain just isn't working right now.

I think a letter should ask more of -- what is normal? What will the difference be between speeding, reckless operation and street racing. Is it up to the police officer to determine if my braking or accerlation is normal?

I wouldnt mention anything about spirted riding. Say ---sometimes I may be guilty of "speeding" but how does a LEO determine I was "racing" even if I am alone?

These guys are politicans and we need to be level headed about it.

Also say that in principle you are against "steet racing" (even if you do it) but section C is a stretch.

Easy does it - but make the point.

MD

OK gang - Here's a letter I sent ---- subtle but makes the point. Feel free to use it!

Send to your senator........

Dear Mr Husted,

There is a bill that just passed in the House that I am in full support of on "Street Racing". I am totally against any kind of street racing and I understand that recently somebody was killed as a result of this. 2 or more people who conspire to race on public roads is unacceptable.

I would like to point out a concern though of part C that expands the deffinition of street racing - listed

© Any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is 2502

inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public 2503

road, street, or highway. Persons 2504

My concern is how will normal operation be determined? If I am speeding, is that racing? If I accelerate hard onto the highway ramp is that racing? How much acceleration is too much? If I am alone but speeding, how can I be racing? What is the difference between "reckless operation" and racing? I just think this is way to ambiguous and leaves it vague and up to the mood of the police officer.

I may as well add that - yes I am a car and motorcycle enthusiast. I dont street race and dont support anybody that does. But this bill leaves it open that I could get charged with "street racing" if the officer is having a bad day when more appropriately I may be simply be guilty of speeding. I ask of yourself and the senate to clarify or eliminate this issue. If section C is eliminated, I would be in full support of this bill.

OK gang - Here's a letter I sent ---- subtle but makes the point. Feel free to use it!

Send to your senator........

Dear Mr Husted,

There is a bill that just passed in the House that I am in full support of on "Street Racing". I am totally against any kind of street racing and I understand that recently somebody was killed as a result of this. 2 or more people who conspire to race on public roads is unacceptable.

I would like to point out a concern though of part C that expands the deffinition of street racing - listed

© Any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is 2502

inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public 2503

road, street, or highway. Persons 2504

My concern is how will normal operation be determined? If I am speeding, is that racing? If I accelerate hard onto the highway ramp is that racing? How much acceleration is too much? If I am alone but speeding, how can I be racing? What is the difference between "reckless operation" and racing? I just think this is way to ambiguous and leaves it vague and up to the mood of the police officer.

I may as well add that - yes I am a car and motorcycle enthusiast. I dont street race and dont support anybody that does. But this bill leaves it open that I could get charged with "street racing" if the officer is having a bad day when more appropriately I may be simply be guilty of speeding. I ask of yourself and the senate to clarify or eliminate this issue. If section C is eliminated, I would be in full support of this bill.

i sent this message, with a couple personal touches, and removed the senators name and just put Senator, to all of these addresses.

To help everyone get the addresses correct just copy and paste into your email program. Perhaps somebody with more knowledge than I could write up a nice letter we could all use.

SD01@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD02@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD03@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD04@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD05@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD06@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD07@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD08@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD09@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD10@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD11@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD12@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD13@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD14@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD15@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD16@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD17@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD18@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD19@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD20@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD21@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD22@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD23@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD24@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD25@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD26@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD27@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD28@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD29@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD30@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD31@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD32@maild.sen.state.oh.us

SD33@maild.sen.state.oh.us

Another modified letter.........

Dear Senator,

There is a bill that just passed the House that I am concerned about (H. B. No. 191)"Street Racing". I do not condone any kind of street racing and I understand that recently someone was killed as a result of street racing. However I do not think we should have a knee jerk reaction with an all-encompassing piece of legislation like this.

Street racing is already illegal so my concern is about the details of this bill. It expands the definitions of street racing so far and sets the punishment so harshly that I fear it could impact normally passive drivers who find themselves in difficult traffic conditions. It may impact the antique and classic car shows that bring much needed business to our state. It also leaves too much interpretation of "what" is street racing with the officer. (It includes single vehicle excel and braking provisions) I would like to think that before someone’s vehicle can be taken from them, that more have to happen than an officer implying that I was excelling too hard or braking too hard. Ohio already has a reputation as being heavy handed on motorists. This bill is a club in those hands.

I am asking you to vote against this bill Sir. It just needlessly expands the definition and punishment for an act that is already illegal.

Thank you for your time.

Fucking Stupid!!! Just because one dumb ass was drunk and lost control, we are all going to get punished. I understand the girls pain and don't wish that on anyone, cause that has got to be horrible. You can't make everyone happy so why do they try?

I really don't think this is a picket line you want the media involved in.

This is a 'bleeding heart' issue and they'll rake you guys over the coals and paint you out as the 'wannabe guys on crotch rockets that street race' - trust me, the media/public won't be on our side on this one. Think about the AMA response to your letter.

Just keep fighting the good fight by writing letters to the General Assembly and let larger orgs take up the cause, if they dare.

I really don't think this is a picket line you want the media involved in.

This is a 'bleeding heart' issue and they'll rake you guys over the coals and paint you out as the 'wannabe guys on crotch rockets that street race' - trust me, the media/public won't be on our side on this one. Think about the AMA response to your letter.

Just keep fighting the good fight by writing letters to the General Assembly and let larger orgs take up the cause, if they dare.

I'd roll up on the dual sport.