HB191 = Street Racing = Oh Shit

Casper

Should HB191 be passed?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should HB191 be passed?

• Yes
    • No

Hmmmmmmmmmm........we have enough laws already defining racing and illegal street riding, this change is totally unnecessary.

That being said, I can easily see how cops that are punks (I'm sure its just in Mt. Vernon, not anywhere else in the state or mount vernon) that would abuse it.

Case in point - I got a ticket a few years back from one of mount vernon's finest for running a red light. Law states that if the light turns from yellow to red while car in in the intersection, car has the right to finish crossing the box. Problem is I saw the light turn from yellow to red (in my rear view mirror) after I was completely through the intersection. Dooshbag says 'I wouldn't have stopped you but someone looked at me like I should do something' (I kid you not his exact words). I went to court to fight the ticket and the judge found in favor of the cop even though he was in the wrong.

Why do I mention this? To show how easily the changes give punk cops like this one too much power. 2 years previous to that ticket this same officer grilled me and a friend about riding our bikes - we just came back into town from working 2nd shift. We rode our bikes to his house, parked them in his garage, didn't see the cop the whole way. He drives up to the garage, calls us out on the mic, and starts grilling us - not for speeding, not for running a stop sign or light, not for improper lane change, just simply because he though we accelerated too fast from a stop. Should I lose my bike that I spent my hard earned money on, time out of my life that I would never get back just because some cop had someone stare him down?? Heck no bad cop no donut!!!!!

We have a winner. This is the sort of stuff I'm afraid of. Any time a cop gets to make a judgment call, I'm afraid. Not because cops are all terrible people who kill babies and shoot sportbike riders, but because cops are human and are inherently flawed. And you can be absolutely certain that I will never give a cop the benefit of the doubt, because I'm pretty sure that they view us in the same way.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Casper told me today that exactly 2 people were killed last year due to street racing.

How many were killed by falling branches in that wind storm?

More than 2 I can tell you.

So we should prolly outlaw wind storms and leave the other laws as they are as they must be working.

Heres another how many moorsickleists were killed and nobody was charged?

I do believe that is illegal too.

Sry. RantOff.

Casper told me today that exactly 2 people were killed last year due to street racing.

How many were killed by falling branches in that wind storm?

More than 2 I can tell you.

So we should prolly outlaw wind storms and leave the other laws as they are as they must be working.

Heres another how many moorsickleists were killed and nobody was charged?

I do believe that is illegal too.

Sry. RantOff.

i know of one guy killed by a branch just saying

got a responce but nothing too exciting

Dear Tyler Butera,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I will keep them in mind. This bill has not gotten much attention so far in the Senate.

Sincerely yours,

Dale Miller,

State Senator

Not much attention? Only because nobody has pointed out the issues in it to them. They see it as a way to stop street racing.

I don't think it will make things much different than they are, but it is a ridiculous piece of work, and doesn't make things specific enough in regards of rapid acceleration, etc...

I was talking to a LEO yesterday and his thoughts are that it's not any different on their part, that he hadn't even heard about it. He was of the opinion that if you're not being an ass to begin with, there's nothing to worry about. I mentioned the judging of excessive acceleration, and he says that as long as you're not getting all up on someone's ass, there shouldn't be a problem. Basically, from what he was saying, if a LEO wants to be dick, they can now. There are MANY laws on the books that are not enforced as it is. Such as backing out of your driveway, if there's a sidewalk, you're supposed to stop at the sidewalk, then again at the street. How many do that? Also, when backing out of your driveway, you're supposed to signal. How many LEO's even pay attention to that to bother enforcing it?

I didn't discuss the vehicle seizure part with him though, as I think that's more of an issue for the courts.

no it wasnt some one from the forum but it was in ohio someplace there was a story about it.. he was in his 40's i would like to say he was in his backyard when it happened.. i cant remember all the details.. i'll try n find it tonight...

That happened to a guy in Baltimore a year or two ago.

Sorry off topic.

You remember Brian Shaffer? OSU med student that dissapeared from a cbus bar.

His Dad was killed by a falling branch in the wind storm.

Back on Topic.

Wifeys friend at LSC said this isn't going anywhere fast. I'll get more deets later but we gotta keep hounding these people to get their attention.

Sorry off topic.

You remember Brian Shaffer? OSU med student that dissapeared from a cbus bar.

His Dad was killed by a falling branch in the wind storm.

Wow, that's incredibly tragic. I dunno if they still do it anymore, but for my entire Freshmen and Sophomore year the movie theater at the Gateway had a little 'ad' about him that'd cycle through in their pre-preview slideshow, and they ran a commercial about him (I think his dad was in the commercial) on several channels for years. That's awful for that family :(

This maybe a repost, but I just pulled this off the R6 forum and thought this a better place for it. Since it will effect us all. I am in no way for street racing, but I can see this law being stretched over time and people's bikes being impounded for about anything.

New law.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...?ID=128_HB_191

Petition against this.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/aut...ica-durban-law