First CCW Weapon / Home Protection

BeauCrawzy

I have been looking to pick up a new toy to double as CCW and fun on weekends. I have my eyes set on the glock 27 right now because of its small(er) size, anybody have any experience with them?

Edited by Squidy

Not that the .22 is just small, the MAIN reason it's not a choice protection weapon is the fact that it's a rim fire cartridge. In a situation where it must go band, it must be a centerfire. Rim fires are known to be less than perfect, got put 100 rounds of any type of rimfire through any gun, I'll garentee you several duds. When your life is on the line you don't want one of those in the chamber.

It does weigh 27 oz' date=' loaded, but I wouldn't call it a huge carry weapon. It's very easy to conceal. I like the 26 better, but the 27 is a nice carry piece. Of course, I'm used to carrying a compact forty-five 1911. I thought that was light. :dunno:[/quote']

+1 The G23 is concealable although not as easily as a lot and the 27 is a tad smaller. Personal preference I suppose. Some like them small enough for a pocket, but I can't stand some of the really small subs and micros they have out.

The Glock 27 is a HUGE CCW gun and not very practical for everyday carry.

It weighs 27 ounces loaded causing it to feel like a brick. Look around, there are better options.

I carry a G36 now, which is bigger than the 27 and have no problems. Prior to that my carry piece was a fullsize 1911. I still carry a fullsize 1911 from time to time.

The whole "too big to ccw" is almost completely subjective. However, typically the hardest part of concealment is grip length, not necessarily gun width or barrel length, thus making the G27 a good choice.

Now if we were talking older Ruger autos, DE's, or Hi points, then yes, a brick is more concealable/easier to carry.

Not that the .22 is just small, the MAIN reason it's not a choice protection weapon is the fact that it's a rim fire cartridge. In a situation where it must go band, it must be a centerfire. Rim fires are known to be less than perfect, got put 100 rounds of any type of rimfire through any gun, I'll garentee you several duds. When your life is on the line you don't want one of those in the chamber.

Winner, in the handgun debate to eliminate the 22 for protection duty. They are an inexpensive way to shoot but I have never fired more than 50 rounds of 22 through a handgun without some sort of issue except for a single action revolver. The size of the round is not deficient but rim fire reliability as stated above. The difference between the 22 and 45 is less than a 1/4 inch. At 20 feet in a stressful situation I highly doubt most shots can be placed where desired plus or minus 1/4".

The original poster should not have an issue finding a center fire handgun in his price range. I would steer clear of the 380 right now only because ammo is hard to find.