Amish Man In Buggy Arrested For DUI

'03VstarSH

"Police in central Pennsylvania say they arrested an Amish man on drunk driving charges over the weekend after he was found asleep in his moving buggy."

"An off-duty officer from nearby Quarryville reported seeing the horse pulling the buggy at a walking pace as it straddled the center line."

Can't even trust the damn horse! :lol:

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/saywhat/story/Amish-Man-In-Buggy-Arrested-For-DUI/BGbauxCPBUeb5NybhG4BOA.cspx

i thought it had to have a motor to get a DUI?

i wonder if crippled people can get DUIs for rollin down the sidewalk drunk in their manual powered wheel chairs, let alone the electric ones :eek:

Why yes they can:

Motorized wheelchair:

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090805-21059.html

Manual wheelchair:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL2233116920070522

:lol:

Amish buggies cause so many crashes and wrecks... studies have shown (as with the truckers speed limit) it isn't the slow or fast, it's the DIFFERENCE from other traffic.

Buggies should not be allowed on public roads, sorry, but this is how I personally feel. I don't care if your personal belief is cars are evil and all new technology is evil...

I have dealt with the buggys allot going to mid-o and back. They are crazy scary because of the hills u climb on those roads. We were fully loaded with 4 bikes in the 18'trailer and 5 people in the 3/4 ton van at night crested a hill and bam there was a buggy. There was a car coming the other way,but they slowed enought to let fit around the buggy. Had that car been a semi the buggy would be history and i dont even want to know what its like to rear end a hore at 55mph. As for buggy DUI i think the horse is really the driver and he wants to live so he can get the drunk man home lol.

I have dealt with the buggys allot going to mid-o and back. They are crazy scary because of the hills u climb on those roads. We were fully loaded with 4 bikes in the 18'trailer and 5 people in the 3/4 ton van at night crested a hill and bam there was a buggy. There was a car coming the other way,but they slowed enought to let fit around the buggy. Had that car been a semi the buggy would be history and i dont even want to know what its like to rear end a hore at 55mph. As for buggy DUI i think the horse is really the driver and he wants to live so he can get the drunk man home lol.

this made me chuckle slightly

so then you missed the multiple yellow horse and buggy signs then i take it?

or you saw them and simply ignored them? if you see the signs you should know to be careful coming over blind hills or turns. nearly all the cases i've seen involving a vehicle and buggy the driver of the vehicle was at fault for not paying attention to these signs. they don't post them for nothing...

i thought it had to have a motor to get a DUI?

i wonder if crippled people can get DUIs for rollin down the sidewalk drunk in their manual powered wheel chairs, let alone the electric ones :eek:

In Pennsylvania - yes. I knew someone it happened to.

Also on a bicycle, horse or anything other than your own two feet.

Even in a van that is up on blocks, without any wheels on it or a license plate on it.

just what we need in this country is more government control by restricting them access to public roads.

its a free country, let them decide if they want to endanger themselves by taking the road often traveled.

item one: They don't pay road taxes that every other motor vehicle pays.

item two: Their steel wheels and horseshoes destroy roads at an extremely rapid rate.

They don't pay for the roads they destroy. Your argument is invalid.

It is not a free county, either, sunny boy.

or you saw them and simply ignored them? if you see the signs you should know to be careful coming over blind hills or turns. nearly all the cases i've seen involving a vehicle and buggy the driver of the vehicle was at fault for not paying attention to these signs. they don't post them for nothing...

Come to Wayne or Holmes counties. I'll wager you can count the number of those signs in the entire county with the limbs on your body.

Yea its real fun to take a huge rig and drive it slow UP a hill to look for buggies at night. There is 1 sign on the road that i have seen. either way letting a 5mph buggy run at night with 1 Little blinking light near the bottom of the carrage isnt safe even if there were 10 signs.

A sign doesn't make it better... by your same argument if they started putting up "watch for motorcycle" signs we'd all be safe all of a sudden.

The problem isn't them putting themselves at risk, it's them putting everyone else at risk. If they made the buggies out of paper mache then I'd be fine with it, but they risk everyones' life around them.

Would it be different if I were to drive 5 mph on a two-lane road down south? The vehicle makes no difference. There's no law against driving slowly on those roads' date=' but there is a law against not making sure you have enough clear distance in front of you.[/quote']

Actually there is, "speeding" laws are really "you must drive at a speed we deem reasonable", speed limits are generally guidance on what is acceptable and provide prima-facie justification for ticket, but the law is not as simple as "you must drive at or below this speed"

ORC 4511.21

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar at a speed greater or less than is reasonable or proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface, and width of the street or highway and any other conditions, and no person shall drive any motor vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar in and upon any street or highway at a greater speed than will permit the person to bring it to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.
(H) Whenever the director determines upon the basis of a geometric and traffic characteristic study that any speed limit set forth in divisions (B)(1)(a) to (D) of this section is greater or less than is reasonable or safe under the conditions found to exist at any portion of a street or highway under the jurisdiction of the director, the director shall determine and declare a reasonable and safe prima-facie speed limit, which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice of it are erected at the location.
This is the same reason you can be ticketed for going 50 in a 50 if it's icy out, you aren't traveling at a safe speed given traffic.
Edited by Likwid

Drunk driving Amish have Always been a huge problem in PA, and that's why it was mandated that they must install the reflective yield symbol on the back along w/reflectors front and back. The only Amish issue in PA bigger than the drunk buggy-ing is drug dealing by Amish..Weed and coke are huge money makers for them

Or.. we could stop trying to justify using southern Ohio roads as racetracks by blaming someone that is not at fault for anything.

I'm going to have to disagree here....

I've been driving, at the legal speed limit, down a divided highway and had a buggie go to pull out.... 50 on the road, he had the horse walking into the first lane of traffic... I barely had time to swerve into the 2nd lane