Will Mike Holmgren save the Cleveland Browns?

TwiztedRabbit

this is rich coming from someone from chippewa lake.

really. middle of nowhere. medina wadsowrth is 8 minutes away 15 minutes from most cleveland southern suburbs. thats bfe?. 30 minutes from downtowne cleveland. you cleary dont know wtf you are talking about.are you a fucktard? do you know what the fuck you are talking about. keep googling. maybe you should google fucktard, your name may come up. try it.:popcorn:

Edited by that dude

the browns have won 8 league championships. four in the NFL and four in the AAFC which was absorbed into the NFL in 1950.

I'm aware of what they did back when there was like 10 teams in the league.

I specified the 43 years of Super Bowls with increased competition pool ;)

It had to be a real slap in the face, when the same team & ownership changed cities & won a Super Bowl within 5 years of said move

Edited by Fonzie

I'm not a Browns fan at all, but I would like to see them turn it around, if for anything just to get some respect for Ohio.

Our football teams don't have much respect at all.

Bengals, who ever really knows what is going on with them, Browns, just a losing mentality most of the past 50 years. OSU, love them and they are winners, except for big games(lately). Most people outside Ohio hate OSU though.

Ohio is a big football state, nearly the fan frenzy and reputation of Texas.

We just need some big level teams to back that up.

I'm a Dolphins fan, I'm liking what Parcells has done so far.

Hopefully Holmgren can do similiar for Cleveland. I don't think he is on the same level as Parcells, but I don't think he is a Belichick lackey either like the past few slouches that have been here.

really. middle of nowhere. medina wadsowrth is 8 minutes away 15 minutes from most cleveland southern suburbs. thats bfe?. 30 minutes from downtowne cleveland. you cleary dont know wtf you are talking about.are you a fucktard? do you know what the fuck you are talking about. keep googling. maybe you should google fucktard, your name may come up. try it.:popcorn:

i dunno. westerville is like 15 minutes from downtown columbus, so thats BFE? you must be a fucktard too lol :p

Aside from expansion teams of Houston & Jacksonville.... I think pretty much every other team in the NFL has made a Super Bowl appearence...

For all intents and purposes, the Browns were an expansion team in 1999.

Because they maintained the team name, colors, and records, I don't think they're "officially" regarded as such, but starting from scratch is starting from scratch.

I'm not about to defend the fact that the 2009 Browns are really no better than the 1999 Browns, nor am I arguing that the 30 year drought prior to the Ravens inception is acceptable, but I'm judging the current team only against the last 10 years of shitty-management.

Holmgren's got his work cut out for him, but I don't know what they expect the guy to do.

My opinion (like anyone gives a shit) is that we need to suck it up and play with Quinn at QB. drafting (and paying) another one is simply pointless. Build the offense, and let BQ be BQ... if he improves, great, if he doesn't then we can hope to attract someone better from within the league - but clearly this club has shown that they CANNOT develop a quarterback, so stop wasting draft picks trying...

My opinion (like anyone gives a shit) is that we need to suck it up and play with Quinn at QB. drafting (and paying) another one is simply pointless. Build the offense, and let BQ be BQ... if he improves, great, if he doesn't then we can hope to attract someone better from within the league - but clearly this club has shown that they CANNOT develop a quarterback, so stop wasting draft picks trying...

BINGO! hit the nail on the head with this part. Now only if the people are in charge are smart enough to realize this

I agree. I think Quinn has shown enough that he can maintain the position while the skill positions around him mature and the talent level upgraded. Also remeber, Sunday was only his 13th career start. Yeah he's been here 3 years, but he also has had 2 OCs and was caught in Mangini's BS tug-o-war for the starting spot earlier. Add to that an OC this year that has n o business calling plays in the NFL, and he is about as good as you are going to get right now. I don't think he will ever be Joe Montana, but how can anyone expect him to be consistent when the things around him are not either. I would give him the reins next year, and say "this is up to you to take from here". Let him be the man all offseason, get all the reps this time, and start the season that way. If he's no better after that, then you go looking for his replacement. But if they draft ANOTHER 1st rd QB I might eat my own feet. Hell, as much as Anderson has NOT progressed since '07, I don't think he's a bad as he played at times this year, and I think a TON has to do with Daboll and Mangini.

As far as Mangini, I just don't see him and Holmgren working together. Two completely different football philosophies. And regardless of what kind of winning "streak" the Browns are on, you can't undo some of the negative things Mangini has done. No getting the Mangini back in the lamp. The interesting thing to watch for is whether Holmgren hires a GM and a coach, or just a coach and does both the GM thing and the Prez thing.

If you're gonna talk that, you need to go back to the Force, youngster.

uhh last time i checked the crunch won championships unlike the original force did. the crunch won i think in 93 or 94. first pro tea, in cle to win a championship in like 25 yrs or something like that. get your facts right gramps

uhh last time i checked the crunch won championships unlike the original force did. the crunch won i think in 93 or 94. first pro tea, in cle to win a championship in like 25 yrs or something like that. get your facts right gramps

whatever, though I has resepct for the crunch. pretty much Force v2.0

For all intents and purposes, the Browns were an expansion team in 1999.

Because they maintained the team name, colors, and records, I don't think they're "officially" regarded as such, but starting from scratch is starting from scratch.

I'm not about to defend the fact that the 2009 Browns are really no better than the 1999 Browns, nor am I arguing that the 30 year drought prior to the Ravens inception is acceptable, but I'm judging the current team only against the last 10 years of shitty-management.

I agree with the spirit of what you're sayin'.... But bein' an expansion team 'aint like it was in the old days now that there's free agency. Just ask Carolina & Jacksonville, both of whom made it to Conference Championship games within their first couple years of existence, along with the Panthers Super Bowl appearance

looks like they made Holmgren official....lets see just how many positions he ends up filling

Have you seen the size of this guy? My bet is the entire front office and the hot-dog vendor outside.

I agree. I think Quinn has shown enough that he can maintain the position while the skill positions around him mature and the talent level upgraded. Also remeber, Sunday was only his 13th career start. Yeah he's been here 3 years, but he also has had 2 OCs and was caught in Mangini's BS tug-o-war for the starting spot earlier. Add to that an OC this year that has n o business calling plays in the NFL, and he is about as good as you are going to get right now. I don't think he will ever be Joe Montana, but how can anyone expect him to be consistent when the things around him are not either. I would give him the reins next year, and say "this is up to you to take from here". Let him be the man all offseason, get all the reps this time, and start the season that way. If he's no better after that, then you go looking for his replacement. But if they draft ANOTHER 1st rd QB I might eat my own feet. Hell, as much as Anderson has NOT progressed since '07, I don't think he's a bad as he played at times this year, and I think a TON has to do with Daboll and Mangini.

As far as Mangini, I just don't see him and Holmgren working together. Two completely different football philosophies. And regardless of what kind of winning "streak" the Browns are on, you can't undo some of the negative things Mangini has done. No getting the Mangini back in the lamp. The interesting thing to watch for is whether Holmgren hires a GM and a coach, or just a coach and does both the GM thing and the Prez thing.

That pretty much nailed it. It's pretty obvious why Mangini didn't start Quinn for most of the season - if he did, he'd have to pay him a 11mil bonus for taking 70% of the snaps in the season. If I was a player, that just screams no-confidence from the coaching staff.

My bet is Holmgren throws Mangini AND everyone Mangini brought with him from the Jets or other organizations on their ass immediately at the end of the season, and begins the search for their replacement.

My bet is Holmgren throws Mangini AND everyone Mangini brought with him from the Jets or other organizations on their ass immediately at the end of the season, and begins the search for their replacement.

Maybe, if hes smart, but I dunno.

Something about Cleveland just brings out the suck in people.