Probably the coolest painting I've ever seen....

Fonzie

Since the painting was done by an individual with no ties to the government - not an employee thereof, and the painter received no state or federal grants for his work, I don't see how it could violate the first amendment.

It seems to me that he's actually expressing his first amendment rights to free speech (speaking through his painting, as it were).

Although the idea of Jesus Christ holding the Constitution might be repugnant to some, it is still the painter's right (some might say God given right, but I'm not going there) to express himself. Had he created a painting showing slavery in the United States in modern times, which would (or should) be at least equally repugnant, he would still have been within his rights to do so.

What if he had depicted Jesus as a black man (or as a woman, or of Asian descent)? Would that change anyone's opinion?

And where did the LDS (Mormon) reference come from, and what's it got to do with the discussion? He lives in Utah, has 8 children, and graduated from B.Y.U., but I could not find any 'official' reference to his religion. He probably is, but so what?

My personal opinion - it's an OK piece of art. I would not buy it, not because of the subject, but because of the execution, the painter's style. A lot of people like that "painter of light" guy, Thomas Kinkade, but not me. Do both of them have some talent? Yes. Would I be surprised to see their works at a Holiday Inn Starving Artist sale? No. Again, just my opinion, and everyone knows what opinions are like, right?

I respect your opinion, but decline to comment on the subject any further. :D

I respect your opinion, but decline to comment on the subject any further. :D

Your decision to exercise constraint, respect, and decorum will not be tolerated in this forum. You must provided a response, be it solicited or otherwise. We will NOT have members exercising discretion here. :D

Your decision to exercise constraint, respect, and decorum will not be tolerated in this forum. You must provided a response, be it solicited or otherwise. We will NOT have members exercising discretion here. :D

Well in that case....

I think he's a bible-thumping closet homo who paints pictures I don't agree with really well! :p

Ah, you are going to fit in here just fine kid. :cheers:

I already do ya Yammi-Pansy :p

I think Christianity is wrong and there is no intelligent creator and Jesus didn't exist and the bible is fiction.

Well you're wrong my friend. And there are plenty of us here to let you know! :D

He shoots, he scores!

Thanks you very much!

:plus1:

I think Christianity is wrong and there is no intelligent creator and Jesus didn't exist and the bible is fiction.

And to think I gave Sally Struthers money to help your people. :rolleyes:

FNZ, thanks for unknowingly posting feed for DramaLlamas.

I'm bored so I'll play along. What an excellent painting, the artist has a talent that I will never posses. I really appreciate being exposed to talent that is undeniable when witnessed. The artist is full of shit with his political view concerning the content.

James Madison

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

"Ecclesiastical establishments tend to great ignorance and corruption, all of which facilitate the execution of mischievous projects."

"The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries."

John Adams

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved-- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity."

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of Nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?"

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."

Thomas Jefferson

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."

"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.”

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."

"On the dogmas of religion, as distinguished from moral principles, all mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarreling, fighting, burning and torturing one another, for abstractions unintelligible to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of the human mind."

"It is not to be understood that I am with him (Jesus Christ) in all his doctrines. I am a Materialist; he takes the side of Spiritualism, he preaches the efficacy of repentance toward forgiveness of sin; I require a counterpoise of good works to redeem it."

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"We discover in the gospels groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication.”

"No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever."

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the Common Law.”

Benjamin Franklin

". . . Some books against Deism fell into my hands. . . It happened that they wrought an effect on my quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity."

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."

Thomas Paine

"The New Testament, they tell us, is founded upon the prophecies of the Old; if so, it must follow the fate of its foundation.''

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

"The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion."

I would submit that any of these founding fathers would be offended by their inclusion with the artist’s message. Religious principles are in the bases of our government because they are good ideas for a civilized nation not because we are founded by religion. Religion has sound principles for keeping a society orderly but religion didn’t invent these principles nor do they own the rights to them.

I wish there was a Muslim (or any religious, non-Christian) painter somewhere out there that'd paint this same picture but from a Muslim (or any religious, non-Christian) perspective. I might actually want to buy that one, simply because it would be thought-provoking in how striking it would be to the average Joe.

This one though, it's barely worth being used as toilet paper.

Edited by Harb67

I wish there was a Muslim (or any religious, non-Christian) painter somewhere out there that'd paint this same picture but from a Muslim (or any religious, non-Christian) perspective. I might actually want to buy that one, simply because it would be thought-provoking in how striking it would be to the average Joe.

This one though, it's barely worth being used as toilet paper.

Yea, something like that would be a huge talking piece among anyone who sees it. Even people who normally don't voice their opinions would throw a word or two in. I would definitely buy a non-Christian version too...maybe a Hindu version

Sweet, give me a bruisin, lets line em up.

Or are you scared of getting beat by an old man on a cruiser? Hell, I'll even start in second gear.

Just you wait till I get something faster than the Tuna! :nono:

Well there is definite proof that the Bible is not fiction and that Jesus lived. Even the hardcore Atheists believe that. For over a hundred years archeologists have used the Bible as the most accurate source for finding dig sites. You are in denial to believe that the Bible is complete fiction, it has already been proven that it is not. It is just up to you to decide whether or not to believe in God and Jesus

Well there is definite proof that the Bible is not fiction and that Jesus lived. Even the hardcore Atheists believe that. For over a hundred years archeologists have used the Bible as the most accurate source for finding dig sites. You are in denial to believe that the Bible is complete fiction, it has already been proven that it is not. It is just up to you to decide whether or not to believe in God and Jesus

:nono: