Need opinions

RSVDon

Buddy of mine is looking for a bike. He's stumbled onto a bike at Racers Edge in Cincy and unfortunately loves it. I'm leery.

2006 Yamaha R6

Mileage: 11,060 (not actual according to title)

Title: Salvage

Mods: Yoshi slip on

Damage: Nothing visible but I haven't gotten to take a good look at it

Price: $4000

I've never dealt with a salvage bike before and neither has he. I feel it's not worth that price considering clean title ones can be had for $4800 to $5500. I'm also worried about it being a basketcase. It looks fine, all plastics are intact so someone must have done work on it or something like the frame was scratched. I just don't know. And I don't want to recommend him getting a bike that's going to be iffy, he's not mechanically inclined and it's his first bike.

The title also seems a little weird. I thought mileage had to be posted.

https://www.dps.state.oh.us/atps/titleinq.asp?id=JYARJ12E56A001825&propid=V

VIN: JYARJ12E56A001825

Edited by RSVDon

Price is too high and those guys have a sketchy history. You can buy them all day for about $1k more and you'll know more about how it was treated than if it were a salvage bike coming from those guys.

If he wants salvage, there's a lot of other shops to choose from. I think it is too high...

Here's a good story... Buddy bought a salvage bike. Had low miles on it, was in great LOOKING shape and only had minor scuffs on the bike plastic - could have ridden it home. Had been crashed the the case cover was busted...

He bought it for a song and took it home and tore it down. Got it all back together and did a great job doing so. Rode it a few times w/o ANY issues and about the third outing on it, it chunked the rod out of the #3 spot... Probably had been overfilled with oil and stressed the rod and caused the blow up...

Point is that sure, it could have happened even with a perfectly titled used bike, but when you buy crashed from someone that isn't going to go completely through the thing, you stand to risk a lot...

I'd spend even up to $1k more if I can go and talk to the owners and look it over with a fine tooth comb... But, like I said, you'd never see the internals no matter what you bought, but chances are that a salavge bike is going to have less known than a titled non rebuilt one will...

a salvage tittle doesn't only mean it was crashed and rebuilt. if it was ever impounded by the cops and sold at auction it will come with a salvage tittle. and it will say "mileage unknown" on it.

that's why I'm guessing because of that, it probably came from a police auction.

it probably came from a drug raid and the cops sold it at auction. all of this info might be available. you'll have to make some calls to find out.

Edited by serpentracer

a salvage tittle doesn't mean it was crashed and rebuilt. if it was ever impounded by the cops and sold at auction it will come with a salvage tittle. and it will say "mileage unknown" on it.

that's why I'm guessing with that it came from a police auction.

It was crashed. Small dent in the tank and scratches on the bodywork from what I hear.

yeah, like something as simple as it was sold at a police auction

And wouldn't the title show a transfer to the auction company? The title goes: Private owner>Progressive Insurance>Racer's Edge 411

Usually auctioneers have to have the title to sell the bike right? So it would show a transfer to the auction company before racers edge got it.

that doesn't mean shit. a insurance company don't total bikes for scratches.

They sure do. You crash and dent or scratch the frame, you can get that replaced. Totalled frames and wheels are common and that helps to total the bike. I've seen bikes totalled that were well enough to take back on the street. Ding in the frame or a small chip on the wheel and it's a goner...

My point was that you (as shown by even this example) may NEVER know the truth - it could be a fine bike or it could have been hammered...

And wouldn't the title show a transfer to the auction company? The title goes: Private owner>Progressive Insurance>Racer's Edge 411

Usually auctioneers have to have the title to sell the bike right? So it would show a transfer to the auction company before racers edge got it.

I don't think so for a police auction. as they don't get tittles for a car they confiscated. that's why they come with a salvage title.

I'll ask someone I know in the tittle business monday. she also works for a repo company. she also worked for the BMV in price hill.

another thing I know for sure is if it was bought from a police auction they require it to be inspected by the highway patrol before you can get a title for it.

(at least that's how it is for cars)

Edited by serpentracer

Aren't that vintage of Yamahahahahahas known to kaboom?

I thought cf7x went through two or three motors of that year. So, your already better hope he has enough to drop a fat wad of cash to repair that on his salvage bike.

Now that I'm looking at it, it seems those Yamahahahahas are known for spinning rod bearings. He's already told me he's dead set on that bike though so oh well. Don't come crawling to me when something bad goes wrong.

Yeah, scary. I'm leery on used sport bikes with an unknown past. I'd just have the hand up for this :slap: once something goes wrong. Besides, there are so many other awesome starter bikes out there...sigh.

That's just it! I even said we could find an 05 R6 for the same price or less and get him in under his price goal. But he's locked onto the new gen and wants nothing else. I even found an 08 R6 in yellow with 3k miles for $5k flat. Nope.

That's just it! I even said we could find an 05 R6 for the same price or less and get him in under his price goal. But he's locked onto the new gen and wants nothing else. I even found an 08 R6 in yellow with 3k miles for $5k flat. Nope.

Umm... DUH! 08 with 3k for $5k FTW!

:nono: someone's using emotion in their purchase, instead of their brain!