Detty Installations new service van

max power

Had a fine day of junkyardin with Blake.

Found a nice driver seat (mailman must have been a fatass), some good corner marker lights to replace a broken one, a good pull out cupholder to replace the broken one, an owners manual since the previous owner must have needed it more than he thought I did, :rolleyes: and a sweet center console.

She is coming together quite nicely. Putting the parts on and polishing the turd tomorrow.

We have several Astro vans that we have used for years. Then we have a F150 for sales work. Make sure you get a ladder rack for an extension ladder. When we bought our 2002 Astro Cargo van it didn't have a ladder rack and they needed to use it before we got a ladder rack installed. The tech was pulled over and ticketed for having the extension ladder laying on top. It was tied down in the front and back, but the officer said without the rack it's illegal. Ticket was $75 back then.

I have a trailer for hauling the 32' ladder. I dont use it much anymore. I like the Astro vans but after Blakes experience with one and the fact that people want $2500 for Astro cargos with 200k on them, I settled on the Ferd. The Toyota mini is too hard to work on.

So far I've had experience with 7 different Astro vans over the last 12 years, and never had any major issues with any. A couple of them we ran the piss out of. My boss is not one for servicing vehicles. His idea is that he will get new oil when he gets a new van! Our company had 4 at one time, one of which I bought for $500 for my own personal van. I later sold it for $500 to get a newer one with AC that I got for $300. At the time I had that, my wife had a passenger Astro to get the kids around

town. She later sold it to get a Caravan because it had the sliding door on both sides.

That $300 Astro, I still have, but it's no longer a plain white cargo van.

Of course, and I sell Skittles to neighborhood kids!

Haha, that thing is slick.

Looks in pretty nice shape

Surprised a mail van only has 38k on the odo though... Thought they ran those things into the ground?? :confused:

They all had either under 50k or over 130k.

There are actually 4 on Fleabay at the moment that all have under 50k.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3859.m39.l1313&_nkw=98+windstar+cargo&_sacat=

The 3.0 will run forever. True story. The rest of the van I am unsure of.

Thats my fear. I swore off Fords years ago, even though I can get A plan.

I'm waiting for the Rack or Tranny to fall out of it. All the 3.0's Windstars at the junkyard had over 200k on them. The 3.8's not so much.