Pulling the bike w/Saturn

wrillo

My Saturn SC-1 and bike need to make a 2000 mile trip together. My hopes and dreams were to add a ball to the Saturn and pull the bike on a 4x6' trailer. Such as this. Less Power said it will kill my car, but I don't know if he is being serious. So I need to figure it out. Someone want to explain GVWR and tongue weight? The car says maximum towing capacity is 1000 pounds and the tongue weight is 100 pounds. I assume tongue weight is something to do with the weight pressing down on the ball? So if I center the weight of the bike over the axle as best as possible, I'll reduce the tongue weight? Is there a nice and easy way to guessitmate the tongue weight? There will only be the bike, so about 500 pounds on the trailer.

My Saturn SC-1 and bike need to make a 2000 mile trip together. My hopes and dreams were to add a ball to the Saturn and pull the bike on a 4x6' trailer. Such as this. Less Power said it will kill my car, but I don't know if he is being serious. So I need to figure it out. Someone want to explain GVWR and tongue weight? The car says maximum towing capacity is 1000 pounds and the tongue weight is 100 pounds. I assume tongue weight is something to do with the weight pressing down on the ball? So if I center the weight of the bike over the axle as best as possible, I'll reduce the tongue weight? Is there a nice and easy way to guessitmate the tongue weight? There will only be the bike, so about 500 pounds on the trailer.

I don't have any expertise with this, but keep in mind, even if you center the bike, or backload it, stopping/starting or bumps will shift the weight of the trailer and press down/lift up on the hitch.

A saturn isn't meant to pull a big trailer... but it's NOT unreasonable, my neighbor has a 2 bike trailer and I've seen him tow it behind his tiny hatchback....

I don't have any expertise with this, but keep in mind, even if you center the bike, or backload it, stopping/starting or bumps will shift the weight of the trailer and press down/lift up on the hitch.

A saturn isn't meant to pull a big trailer... but it's NOT unreasonable, my neighbor has a 2 bike trailer and I've seen him tow it behind his tiny hatchback....

I didn't think of the 4x6 as a big trailer. As far as driving, 95% is going to be on the highway and I can drive as carefully as it requires.

Just take your chain off, put the front tire in the trunk, and tie your forks to the seat belt mounting bolts with a tie strap.

Good to go. :D

Srsly though, don't do that.

Trailers and small cars are tricky business. My vote is that you'll probably be successful as long as you don't drive like an a$$hole. But yes, balance the load on the trailer and be gentle.

you'll be fine. I've seen smaller cars tow a bike and live to tell the tail (smallest was a 1.6 liter toyota echo or something).

the biggest concern would be your transmission. In an extreme situation, you could cook the transmission by pulling a lot of weight for a long time. Getting the weight moving, and pulling up hill are the only times you're really stressing the transmission though.

Tongue weight is a guess-timation for most people. 100 lbs isn't a lot. Keep the trunk empty! you do want the trailer to ride SLIGHTLY nose-heavy. If the weight is too far back, the trailer is actually trying to life the rear of the car, and can pull you all over the road if it gets windy, or the trailer hits some grooved pavement. not good.

on the flip-side, 100 lbs isn't much at all... the trailer i had in my garage (briefly) probably had a 50 lbs tongue weight EMPTY.

Just take your chain off, put the front tire in the trunk, and tie your forks to the seat belt mounting bolts with a tie strap.

Good to go. :D

actually, done properly, it's not the worst idea in the world. Might exceed that 100 lbs tongue weight though

tow2-800.jpg

Will, you'll basically need:

Reese Receiver Hitch. Pn 77014, $170

Ball Mount for 1.25" receiver, $20

Ball $10

Wiring Harness for Saturn SC1. $12

The Saturn should be able to tow the bike, but if you plan on loading the car down with other stuff you may have issues. The brakes should be okay but typical driving with a trailer must be remembered. The engine will have loads of fun pulling it but you should be okay.

that woould suck though... all that mileage on the rear wheel... say cross country you would damn near have to buy a new tire when ya got there... or get a shitty one before ya left to make the trip

I don't tihnk so.

it's less weight than normal (no rider) and you're not doing any accelerating with that wheel.

I think tire-wear would be negligible. just be sure the rear tire is slightly over-inflated so it doesn't heat-up too much.

If i have any objection to such systems, it's that they seem to cost as much or more than a 4x8 trailer...

Edited by redkow97

speaking of which, i'll pay someone a $100 to install a trailer hitch (and necessary wiring) on my car. i already have a DIY and I can order the parts, i just need someone to do it.

no, seriously.

I tow ALOT. Your Saturn isn't designed to tow. It will do it I'm sure but you need to allow more time for acceleration and for braking. Center the bike as best as you can. With it fully loaded and hitched to the car, it should be absolutely level. You dont want alot of weight on the front as it will lighten the nose of your car making it more difficult to steer/brake. You dont want it towards the rear of the trailer either because it will cause problems with braking also. Keep an eye on your tranny, tire pressure and make sure you have good brakes before you start your trip.

buy a truck

With a small trailer and 1 bike you'll be fine. I have a 2006 VW GTI and pull 2 bikes with the trailer and car loaded with no issue. My car has more power than your saturn and probably a stronger transmission but you are only talking about 1 bike.

Pics.... cause it happened

IMG_0424.jpg

Picture186-1.jpg

Picture187-1.jpg

moving-day.jpg

refrideratro.jpg

ducaticlint.jpg