Which Brake lines are the best  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Brake lines are the best

• OEM
    • Venhill
    • Galfer
    • Hel
    • Speigler

I got these on eBay and actually bought directly from the company's website. I got front and rear for $75 if I remember correctly. Some people on here commented they would be hesitant to use them being generic 'n' all, but my buddy and I slapped em on, and sure as shit, they worked. Obviously longevity is important, but so far so good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-GSXR600-Stainless-steel-brake-line-kit-04-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0f77c6b6QQitemZ120518592182QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Edit to add: That's $75 shipped

Edited by Goldie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok then what about the ones that upgrade to SS lines because of "brake fade" when they track ride or agressive street... and notice a dullness or lessing of the initial bite so on so forth

I'm not trying to insult you, but that's exactly the kool-ade that is prevalent in the industry.

Yes, SS lines offer good performance, but it's their longevity and consistency that's their forte.

so you are saying that there is no such thing as brake fade... yes i understand its the point for better consistancy and lasting long.. but as i state one more time... there is no such thing as fade in your mind?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Good rubber lines do not cause brake fade.

Sure there may be a tiny percentage better heat transfer in a SS line, but it's negligible.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

Good rubber lines do not cause brake fade.

Sure there may be a tiny percentage better heat transfer in a SS line, but it's negligible.

So why would a racer put SS brake lines on thier bikes if they only use them for 1 season and change brake fluid often? :popcorn:

So why would a racer put SS brake lines on thier bikes if they only use them for 1 season and change brake fluid often? :popcorn:

Stainless lines are easier to inspect for damage and wear. Rubber lines can hide internal failure of the teflon liner.

Stainless lines are often easier to bleed. Many oem lines use a single line from the master and then a distribution block to each of the calipers. Every junction can be a place for air to get trapped. 2 line systems can be bled quicker. (This may also play into the brake fade argument too. The dual lines hold more fluid than OEM and this is what probably leads to quicker heat dissipation. This is just conjecture, I don't have any thermodynamic research to back it up.)

Don't forget this little thing called advertising, too. Companies that make motorcycle accessories have to sell them. Give a racer a couple sets of $100 lines and slap a sticker on his fairings, sell hundreds of sets.

I have yet to see an independent test that numerically proves any significant performance gains for SS lines. Cars included.

its the bling factor dude, bling gets the ladies (or dudes if you're into that).

on a serious note:

i never got SS lines for performance gains, when i bought mine most of the research was towards the life of the line.

OEM rubber needs to be replaced x amount of years, whereas SS lines last much much longer (pays for itself in this aspect).

also from before with rubber lines at the track, and after with SS lines at the same track, there was a much noticeable difference in feel of braking mostly towards the end of the day when the fluid/lines had been abused via heat. oem had serious fade, ss lines felt as solid as they did in the morning.

Edited by natedogg624

its the bling factor dude, bling gets the ladies (or dudes if you're into that).

on a serious note:

i never got SS lines for performance gains, when i bought mine most of the research was towards the life of the line.

OEM rubber needs to be replaced x amount of years, whereas SS lines last much much longer (pays for itself in this aspect).

also from before with rubber lines at the track, and after with SS lines at the same track, there was a much noticeable difference in feel of braking mostly towards the end of the day when the fluid/lines had been abused via heat. oem had serious fade, ss lines felt as solid as they did in the morning.

Exactly... that's what we've been saying this whole time!!!

ZACH... Have u EVER been on a track? :popcorn:

Were both bled immediately before the track day?

Were both the same age?

While this may sound like a supporting argument for SS lines, I wager that there is another factor here.

Were both bled immediately before the track day?

Were both the same age?

While this may sound like a supporting argument for SS lines, I wager that there is another factor here.

actually yes, i prepare my bikes the same way for all trackdays.

with respect to our topic:

same fresh/new motul 5.1 fluid and vesrah rjl's before the trackday. bled/changed before in preparation for the trackday and not ridden again until at the track.

actually yes, i prepare my bikes the same way for all trackdays.

with respect to our topic:

same fresh/new motul 5.1 fluid and vesrah rjl's before the trackday. bled/changed before in preparation for the trackday and not ridden again until at the track.

I want to be clear; I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to have a productive discussion.

How old were the rubber lines? the SS?

yes.

i will say this though.

IMO i believe fade to directly related to the fluid, not the line. i think zach has already mentioned this before, but with properly maintained fluid (new/fresh bleed) it should perform the same as having the fluid in a ss line. age of rubber vs ss lines being the same. the reason i had such bad fade at the end was because of the rubber lines being old. however, someone with new rubber lines may have a counter to me.

this is prob a very dumb question but iv gotta ask or ill never know... why do people talk so much about upgrading brake lines? are stock break lines really that bad? or do they break a lot or something? i really dont feel like my stock breaks need upgraded as far as performance...