Which Brake lines are the best  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Brake lines are the best

• OEM
    • Venhill
    • Galfer
    • Hel
    • Speigler

this is prob a very dumb question but iv gotta ask or ill never know... why do people talk so much about upgrading brake lines? are stock break lines really that bad? or do they break a lot or something? i really dont feel like my stock breaks need upgraded as far as performance...

Not trying to be a dick but have you read this thread at all? :confused:

But to answer your question.. NO, "U" will not need new brake lines or brakes...Stocks will be more than sufficient!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in this order: better pads will give you the best "noticeable" response. new fluid for harder/longer runs (trackdays - im not talking highway newbs) and lines for when they need replacement, its cheaper in the long run to get ss lines that last whereas oem rubber needs to be changed every x amount of years.

Just missed it by a few minutes... like the post ^^^ above says, more agressive pads will give you the most noticable difference. I have nothing against SS lines, though, I have Galfer because I got a deal on them.

Heck, I put better pads on my minivan and it stops like a rock star :metal:

And wikepedia is always credible :rolleyes:

Yeah, I didn't use wikipedia, but thanks for playing.

It would be a little more honorable for you to say, "yeah, whoops, that's not a credible source."

But hey, it's the interwebz, we don't have to admit when we're wrong. :rulez:

Yeah, I didn't use wikipedia, but thanks for playing.

It would be a little more honorable for you to say, "yeah, whoops, that's not a credible source."

But hey, it's the interwebz, we don't have to admit when we're wrong. :rulez:

Issacs papa did ... Then you said "OH NOES, we are myth bustin" BLA BLA... Thats why I wrote that

Damnit people. SS brake lines have zero to do with brake fade. You're boiling the fluid. That's your brake fade. SS lines will do no better job at removing heat from the system than regular rubber lines. Longevity and strength is the reason for SS.

And yes, I know that this is exactly what IP just posted. :p

Let's not forget that us "street" riders who don't go to the track (maybe someday) are not riding our bikes anywhere near their limits and probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference between OEM and SS.

If the OP, or any of us put SS lines on, we "know" they're better/higher performance (whether they are or not has already been debated ad nauseam).

So now we have "better" brakes. Maybe, just maybe, we can "feel" that they're better and thus will be more confident when using them, i.e. not afraid to use the front and the back at the same time, and with a firmer pull on the lever/push on the pedal, and this just might result in one less meeting between a bike's front end and a car/truck rear bumper.

The psychological part plays a large role in all of this. You think/know your brakes are "better" so you use them "better".

Is the move from OEM rubber to SS worth it? Sure, if only in the $$ saved from needing to replace rubber.

im going to go out on a limb here and say that most riders say their brakes "feel" better after a ss line install.

but did you ever consider that in order to install ss lines, you are draining out the old crappy broken down fluid and putting/bleeding in new fresh brake fluid

I didn't know I was arguing against you... I actually wasn't trying to argue at all. Guess I shouldn't have brought "feel" into it when I was attempting to emphasize the "know" part.

They will feel better with fresh fluids. Pads, too. No shit? :rolleyes:

My point was the positive psychological component that comes from knowing you have "high performance" parts on your bike, when you probably can't use, at least on the street, any advantages they might offer.

Kinda like when I put a slip-on muffler on my 85hp bike. Allegedly I gained maybe, <maybe> 5 hp at 11 or 12,000 RPM. The gain between 3 and 9,000 RPM, where I ride most of the time is neglible, but my bike sounds better, "feels" faster, and thus it <is> faster. My seat-of-the-pants dyno, connected to my brain dyno, tells me so. For my example I gained 5% hp. If I did 0-60 in 4 seconds before, I should be 5% faster, or 2/10 of a second. Can I tell the difference between 3.8 and 4 seconds without a stopwatch? No, but it felt faster.

I am not a brake line expert. I have no idea if SS is better than rubber. Seems to me it should be. Could I feel the difference? I doubt it. Can the experienced trackday guy, who's riding at 90% plus all day long feel it? I'll bet (s)he can.

what? dude i totally didn't read your post, i was just jotting down some thought w/o reading anything prior.

My e-feelings are much better now! :D

FWIW I just got back from 90 minutes on the bike and my brakes "feel" great! My hands are cold, though...

im going to go out on a limb here and say that most riders say their brakes "feel" better after a ss line install.

but did you ever consider that in order to install ss lines, you are draining out the old crappy broken down fluid and putting/bleeding in new fresh brake fluid

that was covered in post #5 :D