ohio's new $20 late fee for registrations

serpentracer

I too think this fee is ridiculous the way they have it set up.....BUT.....

Not renewing your paltes is lazy.

In the state of Ohio..If you have a vehicle registered to your name.....Regardless of whether its in use or not, its supposed to be tagged. And for the guys that don't regitser there bikes until after winter....Not sure how you are saving money.

Last two time I did that long ago...Since the bike was already registered...I didnt get any proration on the tags at all, so I still paid for a full year regardless of when I renewed it.

Those trying to get over Crack me up personally. I don't agree with the GOV racking us up with un-neccessary charges to supplement their income, but I also dont agree with the guys trying to get over on the system.

Quit being Cheap bastards and renew your plates on time.

Problem Solved.

In the state of Ohio..If you have a vehicle registered to your name.....Regardless of whether its in use or not, its supposed to be tagged.

Supposed to be registered is different than REQUIRED. It is REQUIRED to have a vehicle registered to operate a vehicle on a public roadway. If a vehicle is not being driven, the is no REQUIREMENT to register it. Vehicle registration is primarily a way to collect taxes for the USE of the vehicle on the roads. If it's not neing USED on the roads, what's the point?

It would be quite expensive for me to register the car that I don't drive at this time, because then I would be REQUIRED to carry insurance on it, just to let it sit.

If the vehicle is one that you drive on the roads, get the stupid registration renewed on time. You can renew up to a few months EARLY, or even a couple years at a time.

I too think this fee is ridiculous the way they have it set up.....BUT.....

Not renewing your paltes is lazy.

In the state of Ohio..If you have a vehicle registered to your name.....Regardless of whether its in use or not, its supposed to be tagged. And for the guys that don't regitser there bikes until after winter....Not sure how you are saving money.

well for one, I don't want to pay for something that's not in use. second, they pro rate the cost. third, I just can't afford to get them at the same time as my other vehicles.

winter is our slow time at work so my hours are always cut back.

They dont Prorate them in my county...Or at least they didnt.

If its not a "New" registration...You should be paying the Full price regardless of when its registered.

Regardless...If you cant afford the tags whe they are due...Odds are you shouldn't be able to afford the bike either.

$50 is Chump change if you own a multi-Thousand dollar toy.

Seriously.

seriously, my finances are none of your business. matt. I can afford my bike and track addiction just fine.

plus I don't ride the street that often to really care about getting the registration on time.

it's not really about the cost. it's about having to get them when I don't want to. now that I know I don't "have to" I'm happy.

Edited by serpentracer

It would only NOT be legal if the vehicle is operated on the street. There is no REQUIREMENT to register a vehicle, unless it is operated on the street.

This is what I am referring to, not a Fee for Motorcycles.

And I do beleive this is correct, IF, you have never registered the vehicle after ownership.

Once its registered and used on a public highway, I think you may have to continue to register it or you may be in violation.

Now I really don't care personally, as I have said I have registered late myself before. I just was looking to find the real answer to this question just for knowledge.

I just don't do it anymore. I did that shit when I was a Broke kid who had toys he couldn't really afford. Now I have more toys than I should have..but I get them all registered.

The problems that "Could" rrise from not playing their game is not worth my time, money or headache in court.

My days of trying to beat the system are over (which is essentially what your trying to do by registering late)...I play their game and live happy.