My New Shop Security System

Todd#43

the XD is an AWESOME shooter. speedy let me shoot his XD9 full size and compact, and they are amazing.

i'm going to go shoot an HK USP to compare, but I can't see how much better any gun can shoot than that (minus a full size 1911).

congrats on the buy!

I finally shot it yesterday - only about 100 rounds - but I have some observations:

1. Fits nice in my hand as is comfortable to shoot with either magazine. Recoil wasnt any more noticeable in this pistol than any other 40's I've shot.
  2. I need to run some more rounds through it to totally acclimate myself to the idiosyncrasies of this particular pistol. Most shots were slightly low and to the right.
  3. Getting used to the long trigger pull will take some time. The trigger does break crisp though - no real "creep" past the take up.
  4. Getting 12 rounds in the high capacity mag (or 9 in the little mag) is a BITCH

Overall, I'm not totally impressed, nor am I disappointed. I think I just need some additional time to "bond" with it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people put the XD break-in around 300-500 rounds

A couple hundred rounds for break-in would seem normal to me, but 300-500 seems a bit excessive.

twin glock fortys

I tried to buy that 40 from your boy, but I got this NEW for less than he wanted for his Glock USED.

Mags will break in with use. mine did. Trigger also will get smoother with use. as for the shooting low and right? I am gonna assume shooter error? could be the way you are gripping it OR you could be a great shot and the sights might be slightly off from the factory?

I'm hoping the mags get a little easier to load. I did manage to load both of them to full capacity today, but what a pain in the ass. I'm going to assume shooter error as well. Like I said, its going to take a little more time for me to bond with this pistol.

Hey Todd, if you don't already know and you plan to keep a magazine loaded all the time, make sure you rotate magazines so the springs don't wear out prematurely. That why I like having 3 mags, two are always loaded. Rotated the first couple days of each month.

Hey Todd, if you don't already know and you plan to keep a magazine loaded all the time, make sure you rotate magazines so the springs don't wear out prematurely. That why I like having 3 mags, two are always loaded. Rotated the first couple days of each month.

I've heard this for YEARS (decades, actually) and have never, ever, "rotated" my magazines. I've also never, ever (not even once) had a magazine take a shit.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

I've heard this for YEARS (decades, actually) and have never, ever, "rotated" my magazines. I've also never, ever (not even once) had a magazine take a shit.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

I have a Bersa .32 that has one mag. When I got it, the spring was pretty good. After being left loaded for about 4 months I could tell that it didn't spring back like it should. Granted it is an older gun so I don't know. I'd rather be safe and rotate them since I am able to with my .45.

I have a Bersa .32 that has one mag. When I got it, the spring was pretty good. After being left loaded for about 4 months I could tell that it didn't spring back like it should. Granted it is an older gun so I don't know. I'd rather be safe and rotate them since I am able to with my .45.

To each his own. I'm sure on an older piece, magazine springs may be suspect. However, I believe it takes a LONG time before they go shiddy. I don't have any facts to back that up, just my decades of experience with semi-auto pistols.

Bottom line? If it makes you feel better, rotate them. I'm lazy. I wont be rotating mine.

I've HEARD that you should recycle your mags. but the thing is, it's loading and unloading that wears out springs, not a single state... lots of people have posted that information before.

Now, I HAVE noticed a green moldish/residue on my jackets, but from everything I see that's normal, I rotated that round to the bottom of the magazine and that was it.

springs just dont go bad. maybe over years of being loaded to the max and never touched

That's what I have always heard. I have nothing to back that claim up. I figure since I have three magazines for my .45, it's too easy to rotate them. Two loaded, one unloaded next to a box of JHPs.

Even unloaded the spring is under load right? does it wear it out, no. I leave my carry guns mag loaded all the time. the only motion it gets is range use, or when I put it in the safe I drop the mag clear the chamber and put the round back in the mag before I put it away. The spring has plenty of force to work as it was ment to.

Howdy.... I'm new to the forum but i thought i would throw my 2 cents in.... I usually carry one of my KAHR's, i'm pretty fond of the P-40, its light small and really accurate... i did pick up a new Ruger SR9 for the range a couple of days ago and it shoots like a dream and holds 17 rounds.... nice. I have always kept my mags fully loaded, i've never had a problem with them, although a couple of my buddies got the green stuff overseas, they got a shot and it went away...... yuck

Green eh? You may want to have that checked out.

YOU were the one with the green residue on your jackets, not me.

BTW, Wednesday won't work for me this week. My son has a wrestling meet.

Possibly Thursday or Friday though. I'll have to see what happens though.