Officially offering photography

Likwid

If you have a track day and you want someone covering your races I'm officially offering to be your press coverage :)

Just PM me with the date and track. Then we'll meet up before the race so I can introduce myself and go over the shot list. We can discuss monies, it's all negotiable and I'll trade for anything MC, guns, or camera related.

Scheduled Shoots:

Track Day: April 26th - Mid Ohio (Orange day)

Location shoot: Mid March - Cleveland downtown (secret project)

Edited by Likwid

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i can see how this would be awesome for a group of people going to the track.

good luck, and I'm sure I'll see you snapping shots of people passing me at least a couple times this season

Not to rain on you parade or anything, but have you shot at the track before? What sort of equipment do you have? I think I read about you looking for Canon lenses. I wouldn't mess with much less than a 70-200 f/2.8 IS on a 40D or better (or newer counterparts.) The 6.5 FPS I can click off on the 40D is gonna be cool fo rthe track. I didn't make it there this year, and I just got the 40D almost a year ago.

I've been up to mid-ohio for the Indycars, and it is VERY difficult to even get a car in your shot when they're at speed.

Not to rain on you parade or anything, but have you shot at the track before? What sort of equipment do you have? I think I read about you looking for Canon lenses. I wouldn't mess with much less than a 70-200 f/2.8 IS on a 40D or better (or newer counterparts.) The 6.5 FPS I can click off on the 40D is gonna be cool fo rthe track. I didn't make it there this year, and I just got the 40D almost a year ago.

I've been up to mid-ohio for the Indycars, and it is VERY difficult to even get a car in your shot when they're at speed.

75-300 lens. I'll be good, I do what I need to to get shots

75-300 lens. I'll be good, I do what I need to to get shots

Looking back at my last trip to Mid-Ohio, I was primarily using my 70-200 f/2.8 (Sigma, can't afford the Canon IS model) with a 1.4 TC on it. I was intentionally underexposing a little, to help get rid of some of the weird reflections off the nice shiny paint jobs. I was looking at about f/11 and about 1/1000 shutter, @ ISO 100. I probably shoulda opened up the aperature a little and dragged the shutter a bit more to motion blur the tires, to get the sense of motion a little more.

All i know is i need a day with someone to teach me camera stuff. Jporter i understand the numbers and setting you said,but i have no idea how to set it all. I cant wait to play at the track! I have sat in the drive way on my 40mph road and played with the settings. I deff need to understand it all a little better.likwid if u r ever at a track i'm a i need to learn some tricks.

Only three variables to really master. Set the baseline ISO, and then it's two. Shutter speed and aperture. Nothing else...

I can help out too. I'm sure I'll catch you all out at the track. :)

Only three variables to really master. Set the baseline ISO, and then it's two. Shutter speed and aperture. Nothing else...

i deff want ur help! IDK how to mess with ISO at all. By the end of 2010 i want to be a little more camera savy.

i usually use Tv mode aka shutter priority for the track it ends up being real nice that way :D

Glass matters too; sharpness, clarity, IQ, AF speed. Can also make a difference for shutter speeds especially if you're talking an overcast day at the track.

You don't have a single action shot in your portfolio.

Edited by fusion

I can see the advantage of having someone dedicate all of their time to you as apposed to the standard track photographer. I could even see it working out for a group of 4 or 5 people pretty well.

Gixxie, if you have an SLR come grab me next time we are at the track together and I'll walk you through some stuff, I'm sure any of these guys could be a big help too. It's pretty easy but is a bit overwhelming at first. Just a bunch of variables to manipulate.

People have been posting stuff about photography on a lot of forums lately.

Because dSLR's are cheap and everyone wants to be a photographer. Even worse is the number of them that actually believe they are good enough to charge. Photography has become 80% marketing, 18% gear, and 2% skill.

People don't give a shit about quality anymore as long as it's cheap/free and good enough.

If anyone needs some help I can answer sports photography questions as well. I shot professionally traveling with NASCAR for most of my career. On my days off I would shoot Steelers Football and Indians baseball for various wire services. I am here if I can help.

If you have a track day and you want someone covering your races I'm officially offering to be your press coverage :)

Just PM me with the date and track. Then we'll meet up before the race so I can introduce myself and go over the shot list. We can discuss monies, it's all negotiable and I'll trade for anything MC, guns, or camera related.

inb4 trolling ...

hopefully SOMEONE is interested

Just an FYI. If you plan on shooting pics and selling for money at an event like STT, you need to contact them first as they hire specific photogs for the event. Not to mention that all pictures taken of said event are the property of the event organizer unless otherwise stated and permission is granted.

Not to mention that all pictures taken of said event are the property of the event organizer unless otherwise stated and permission is granted.

They might be able to ask someone to stop shooting or leave but they can't take ownership of any photo's taken. Transfer of copyright even under work for hire agreements has to be a specific written agreement with a photographer.

They might be able to ask someone to stop shooting or leave but they can't take ownership of any photo's taken. Transfer of copyright even under work for hire agreements has to be a specific written agreement with a photographer.

Wrong.. Any event merchandise which includes pics of said event is considered owned by the event. This is not a public event and therefore the pics are not public domain. If you come in and take pics, you are effectively trespassing and stealing.