FYI: Franklin University is closing early

Casper

That surely doesn't mean you get go home early. :p

I didn't go in today. :p

I worked until almost 4a last night. I wasn't going to go in until noon or 1p today, but the snow was coming down and I said f it. I have a bunch to do this weekend anyways.

Really is it that bad in Columbus?
We have 3-4" in Pickerington already. They've upped the forecast to 12".
Dude it's Franklin University... the goat probably laid down so they decided to send out the carrier pigeons to notify the folks to stay in their barns.

HAH!

You obviously don't know what Franklin University is. :lol:

We have 3-4" in Pickerington already. They've upped the forecast to 12".

School me please. I hear folks talking about it all the time on here..but since I'm NEO'er and not from Ohio originally...I have no clue.

I heard you guys are in the top 20 online universities...just under classics like ITT and the California University of Pennsylvania.

i keed i keed, I just figured any university with you working in the IT department was still using roosters as alarm clocks :D

FYI: Franklin University is closing early today. Afternoon/evening classes canceled. Campus will be closed at 3p.

Sissy's. When I went to Michigan State we walked 10 miles to class in the Blizzard of 77. Up hill. Both ways.

School me please. I hear folks talking about it all the time on here..but since I'm NEO'er and not from Ohio originally...I have no clue.

Franklin University and Capital University used to be combined. They split sometime in the late 1800s, early 1900s. The law school went to Capital and the business school went to Franklin. Franklin is a private, non-profit college, officially founded in 1902. Their target clientele are adults going back to finish degrees, get Masters degrees, etc. They have one of the best MBA programs in the area. Most of their degrees are business related (marketing, MIS, accounting, etc). Almost every class has the option to be taken face to face or online. Franklin has been the focus of several case studies on integrating technology and education. I can't tell you how many times I hear from students how great our online teaching software is. It's a homegrown java based LMS. Franklin makes it very easy for people to go back to school. You aren't sitting in a classroom with a bunch of 18-24 yr olds. Even in the face to face classes, the majority of students are adults finishing their education. Most of the face to face classes are offered in the evenings, so you can work your schooling in around working.

Franklin's website: http://www.franklin.edu

Franklin's LMS (MyFranklin): http://my.franklin.edu

Guest account for LMS: https://my.franklin.edu/coursesystem/login?username=guest

I have to say I'm proud to work there. We really have some of the most talented employees I've ever worked with.

I heard you guys are in the top 20 online universities...just under classics like ITT and the California University of Pennsylvania.

The difference is we're the ONLY non-profit college on that list. We're not a business out to make money off the students.

Sissy's. When I went to Michigan State we walked 10 miles to class in the Blizzard of 77. Up hill. Both ways.

My mom and dad tell me about the blizzard in Columbus in the 70s... I guess it was so bad if you HAD to go out you pretty much had to tie a rope to your group so you could make it to the destination.

The difference is we're the ONLY non-profit college on that list. We're not a business out to make money off the students.

LOL easy killer easy! I'm just fucking with you. We know the only colleges still using pigeons are in Cinci.

Franklin University and Capital University used to be combined. They split sometime in the late 1800s, early 1900s. The law school went to Capital and the business school went to Franklin. Franklin is a private, non-profit college, officially founded in 1902. Their target clientele are adults going back to finish degrees, get Masters degrees, etc. They have one of the best MBA programs in the area. Most of their degrees are business related (marketing, MIS, accounting, etc). Almost every class has the option to be taken face to face or online. Franklin has been the focus of several case studies on integrating technology and education. I can't tell you how many times I hear from students how great our online teaching software is. It's a homegrown java based LMS. Franklin makes it very easy for people to go back to school. You aren't sitting in a classroom with a bunch of 18-24 yr olds. Even in the face to face classes, the majority of students are adults finishing their education. Most of the face to face classes are offered in the evenings, so you can work your schooling in around working.

Franklin's website: http://www.franklin.edu

Franklin's LMS (MyFranklin): http://my.franklin.edu

Guest account for LMS: https://my.franklin.edu/coursesystem/login?username=guest

I have to say I'm proud to work there. We really have some of the most talented employees I've ever worked with.

I didn't realize until now you worked there. I ran into Franklin while doing some research on adults going back for degrees. I was impressed with a few of the IT related degrees...but the tuition is +++. But, in defense, I haven't found an online institution that doesn't have crazy tuition. Gotta pay the bills I guess.

Thanks for the edumacation.

I didn't realize until now you worked there. I ran into Franklin while doing some research on adults going back for degrees. I was impressed with a few of the IT related degrees...but the tuition is +++. But, in defense, I haven't found an online institution that doesn't have crazy tuition. Gotta pay the bills I guess.

Thanks for the edumacation.

I can't bring myself to go to any online university for the fear of stigma... *shrug* I still plan on going back for my MBA, it's just a matter of when... given the current job market it might be better to do it now while the jobs are so thin.

My mom and dad tell me about the blizzard in Columbus in the 70s... I guess it was so bad if you HAD to go out you pretty much had to tie a rope to your group so you could make it to the destination.

It was two events, one in 1977 (deep drifting snow) and one in 1978 (really thick ice). I was lucky enough to be stuck in both of them. The one in Northern Ohio had martial law declared in most areas, to keep people from going outside and dying. Which, of course, is what people tried to do. Have you ever seen snow that was more than 15 to 20 feet deep? People panic and do ignorant or weird stuff that's dangerous.

I watched a full size work van drive into a ditch full of snow and vanish from sight. Completely buried. Even stranger, I watched him drive out...

Snowmobiles got out and raced around to help people, but were hitting power lines/phone lines at 15 to 20 feet off the ground, when going over drifts of snow.

People would have their power go out, and they would try to walk to a nearby farmhouse. Later they would be found frozen in the fields, from the extreme wind chill. One guy went out and sat on his front porch. That's where they found him, frozen stiff.

The only vehicles that moved, were trains and APCs (Armored personnel carriers on tracks, from the National Guard.)

Yeah, that wasn't much fun. In less than two days, temperatures shot up to 70 degrees for a couple of days, and a lot of the snow melted. But even then, I watched a backhoe work on a short stretch of road for a week. The snow was taller than the backhoe could reach.

Edited by ReconRat

That was my first year here. We brought a Land Rover 88 from England, and cruised in style. I remember drifts on US 42 that were 3 times at least the height of the car...