my new handgun

jermattak

Im getting my ccw next week, i was planning on getting a xd40 subcompact, but I decided against it, because it is pretty thick, along with the glocks and alot of other polymer auto's. Im a pretty skinny dude as most of you know, so I felt a single stack auto would be best. I also like having an external hammer and a manual safety (for peace of mind when I'm handling it, I still have not decided how I am going to carry it)

pretty thin gun, but it has a 3.6" barrel, it's pretty accurate, I was impressed. It comes with a little walther tool that you have to use to strip it (which sucks, but after you turn the little knob with it, the gun is simple to take apart after that) the tool can also be used to lock the trigger. I cant think of any situations where I would use it, but maybe some of you guys with kids would like to have that. Also has a little opening where you can see if there is a round in the chamber.t he laser to the p22 fits on this as well. There are some downsides though, its a 8+1, and Walther doesnt make shit for it yet, I cant even buy another magazine! But they will be selling them soon.

I bought it for $339 at a gun show, and I am very happy with it, i put 100 rounds through it today, and it shot great! would highly recommend it.

2009shotshow-day1-2009shotshow-01152009-019.jpg

uh oh, you posted how a manual thumb safety and DA/SA firearm is safer...

prepare for the flames :)

But regardless, congrats on your new piece, and +1 to CCW. Carry often, carry safe.

i didnt really say that, i would feel perfectly safe carrying something like a glock or xd, but if im teaching someone else how to shoot, etc... it doesnt hurt to have it on the gun if i feel that i need it.

but thanks, i will :cheers:

i picked one of those up the last day of january when vance's had them on sale for $299. you wont regret it, unless you have a hard time finding ammo. otherwise it shoots great. the only downside anyone's noticed with it thus far is there's a rough edge on the slide by the end of the barrel that wears the bluing on the barrel for the first 50 or so rounds so the barrel will get a bit scuffed up, but normal use wears the ridge down and it should be no problem. I've got 300 rounds through mine so far and I love it. really easy to shoot well, no recoil, no muzzle flash, good firearm. if you're using it for ccw, buffalo bore makes some quality higher powered .380 ammo that has some good stats.

and i concur, it feels right in your hands. the grip is excellent. glad to see these are catching on. a lot of the "pre-reviews" ppl thought they wouldnt sell at all. maybe if enough ppl buy them they'll start making .380 ammo... :-(

Edited by smashweights

i picked one of those up the last day of january when vance's had them on sale for $299. you wont regret it, unless you have a hard time finding ammo. otherwise it shoots great. the only downside anyone's noticed with it thus far is there's a rough edge on the slide by the end of the barrel that wears the bluing on the barrel for the first 50 or so rounds so the barrel will get a bit scuffed up, but normal use wears the ridge down and it should be no problem. I've got 300 rounds through mine so far and I love it. really easy to shoot well, no recoil, no muzzle flash, good firearm. if you're using it for ccw, buffalo bore makes some quality higher powered .380 ammo that has some good stats.

and i concur, it feels right in your hands. the grip is excellent. glad to see these are catching on. a lot of the "pre-reviews" ppl thought they wouldnt sell at all. maybe if enough ppl buy them they'll start making .380 ammo... :-(

yeah, ammo is a little pricier than 9mm and 40, but so far i havent had problems getting my hands on it, like i said in the other thread, i found a place really close with great prices and a good supplier, and if they ever have problems, the bill goodman show comes to town once a month it seems like

Stab a buddy, shoot a friend? that bill goodman's? :p have you tried putting the slide spring back in yet?

I struggled with it for a minute, but I found it's easy if I put the spring in the hole, then put the back end of the pin in the slot, and lastly, slide the barrel in. Once I figured that out, it only took a second

I personally really dislike the mag release on the walther's... but to each their own.

Let us know which CCW class you take and what you think.

Will do, me and a few others are doing it all in one day, haha

Thats not a bad looking firearm, sort of like a mini P99.

If you can find any Winchester 95 grain silver tips grab them, I don't know about human flesh but they will tear up a groundhog. Is that out of line here?

I struggled with it for a minute, but I found it's easy if I put the spring in the hole, then put the back end of the pin in the slot, and lastly, slide the barrel in. Once I figured that out, it only took a second

i just picked up one of these myself two weeks ago. I love it. Easy to carry, and it fits the hand well. I'll have to try this trick with the spring, i had a one hell of a time with it the first tear down. Good luck with the class, and fake rep to you for getiing a ccw.

I have a Rueger LCP that I carry almost everyday. I'm waiting on the new S&W Bodyguard .380 with Laser supposed to come out in May. Could be a good choice.

How do you like the ruger? I originally had my mind set on one of these, and after reading several reviews on both, i decided on the walther. For a couple reasons.....1) it fits my hand very well, the LCP was almost too small. 2) it has sights. Not that you really need them in a close quarters self defense situation, but i was really turned off by the lack of on the LCP. I also heard the LCP tends to jam a lot or have feed issues, have you experienced this?

So far so good! NO jams. No feed issues. Some of these problems were with earlier models. When I bought mine there was a line of people waiting to get one. It is small but then that is why I bought it. You can conceal it anywhere. Though I agree with you the hand feel is not what I prefer.

In regards to sights..Not sure about that one. It has sights thought not adjustable. However, like you said these guns are meant for close quarters and in most situations, you generally don't have time to site. (I'm sure everyone will jump in here.)

Most "self-defense" situations with a mobile attacker you will only have enough time to pull and shoot. In regards to the Walther.. I went online and heard they are not reliable and have quality control issues.

The fact both guns have somewhat shakey reputations and yet the fact we both love them goes to show you can't believe everything you hear. It would be nice if people could go to a sight and give feedback on the guns like on Amazon..

It would probably give a clearer picture.

Edited by balaormiga

Never had a Walther before recently but my new P99C has not jammed yet..I've put about 400 of the cheapest rounds i could find.

Them Walther sights are like 3 dots sights. The guns too new for target sights. I like a tight sight. Can't find any for it yet.

So far so good! NO jams. No feed issues. Some of these problems were with earlier models. When I bought mine there was a line of people waiting to get one. It is small but then that is why I bought it. You can conceal it anywhere. Though I agree with you the hand feel is not what I prefer.

In regards to sights..Not sure about that one. It has sights thought not adjustable. However, like you said these guns are meant for close quarters and in most situations, you generally don't have time to site. (I'm sure everyone will jump in here.)

Most "self-defense" situations with a mobile attacker you will only have enough time to pull and shoot. In regards to the Walther.. I went online and heard they are not reliable and have quality control issues.

The fact both guns have somewhat shakey reputations and yet the fact we both love them goes to show you can't believe everything you hear. It would be nice if people could go to a sight and give feedback on the guns like on Amazon..

It would probably give a clearer picture.

That's for sure.....the gun industry is definitely behind the times when it comes to reviews, online feedback etc.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up a pk380 today for $299 at Woodbury Outfitters in Coshocton. Planning to take ccw sometime over summer so I picked up a blackhawk iwb holster for it too. I really felt comfortable with this gun in my hand and the only other gun that I felt fit as comfortably as this was the px4 storm compact but they only had the full size px4 today. Plus I couldn't pass up the price on this one. Haven't shot it yet but I will in a few.

Just picked up a pk380 today for $299 at Woodbury Outfitters in Coshocton. Planning to take ccw sometime over summer so I picked up a blackhawk iwb holster for it too. I really felt comfortable with this gun in my hand and the only other gun that I felt fit as comfortably as this was the px4 storm compact but they only had the full size px4 today. Plus I couldn't pass up the price on this one. Haven't shot it yet but I will in a few.

you should have told me you were in the market man!! i just picked up a ruger lcp for $279 in new bedford. they have one more, and he said if i could have found someone to get the other one he would have cut a good deal.