new from cleveland area and need some advice

frank1000rr

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3rd.....To those of you who are saying the CBR1000RR is not suited for road riding...WTF are you guys talking about? The CBR is the most road oriented and best mannered of all the litre bikes. Quit being such a bunch of pussies.

owning a liter I-4 for street use is like buying an Xbox 360 and only playing Tetris.

owning a liter I-4 for street use is like buying an Xbox 360 and only playing Tetris.

have you PLAYED the xbox 360 tetris? it's fuckin baller

gawd you're being such a pussay

oh and welcome to the board OP

get something not so retarded for the street (and maybe more comfy?) unless you're gonna take the beast to the track. there are plenty of rides to get on during the riding season so unless you absolutely dont have time and don't really like riding all that much, keep the bike or get something better suited for your riding style.

Edited by jbot

Commute! I'm married with three as well. Hence, I'm not allowed to ride for fun either. The key is.... sell your story to the wife that it is a safe, economical way to get to and from work. You will save hundreds of dollars in gas and get some enjoyment every day as well. I just hope she doesn't catch on that I seem to pull more weekend-duties when the sun is out. Don't tell! Keep the bike, enjoy it, and be safe!

do you really have to go to all that trouble to ride?

? I've got a 1000, best street bike I've ever had and I've had alot.

you have a bike that's capable of 190mph, so you're using about 1/3 of its potential then, right?

a 1000RR is a streetable race bike - If i said it was a 'bad' street bike, that might have been harsh, but there are absolutely better choices that make more sense. Even if you go to the track on a regular basis, a liter bike is only fully utilized by the most skilled riders, and most tracks still don't have a long enough straight for a 1000 to really stretch its legs. (maybe Barber and VIR?)

liter I4 riders rave about how much torque they have. if that's what you want, a liter twin does things just as well, and will cost you a lot less to buy, and insure.

Call it a difference of opinion. if we disagree, we disagree, but the thought of a cherry '07 1000RR sitting in the garage 25 days a month, and never even scratching the surface of its performance potential makes me a little sad. Man, i guess i AM a pussy.

Edited by redkow97

I don't understand your logic... because you're not using something to it's fullest potential, it's not suited for the application?

So we should all be riding around on Ruckus's or mopeds on the street?

Hell, we should all be driving Geo Metros too, and save only the ballsiest ballers to drive something like a Malibu or Civic on the street

you have a bike that's capable of 190mph, so you're using about 1/3 of its potential then, right?

a 1000RR is a streetable race bike - If i said it was a 'bad' street bike, that might have been harsh, but there are absolutely better choices.

Actually 1/3 would be what 63mph, it's well into the 100's everytime we ride I dont use it as a work commuter its used for the twisties I've got a truck to go to work in. It's far more comfortable than a 600, has plenty of power so I dont have to shift every 10 seconds on a good set off twisties, on long stretches between good twisties I dont have to listen to the 13000 rpm revs that a 600 does, if the wife want to go its not luged down from 2up like a 600, and no its not capable of 190 anymore because I went -1 +1 on the sprockets. I've had a 500, every 600 out there, a 750, a 900 and a 954 and this is by far the best street bike I've ever had. I would rather take one of the 600's to the track though instead of the 1000.

I dont know what youve had in the past, just what youve got now so if youve never had a 1000 as your street bike youre not really in a positon to judge are you? Ive had your street bike and your track bike and have experinced the difference, have you ?

I don't understand your logic... because you're not using something to it's fullest potential, it's not suited for the application?

So we should all be riding around on Ruckus's or mopeds on the street?

Hell, we should all be driving Geo Metros too, and save only the ballsiest ballers to drive something like a Malibu or Civic on the street

a 1000RR isn't a "malibu" or a "civic," it's a Ferrari Enzo. Sure you can, but why?

I see you edited now and added ins comment and track comments. My ins is 200 a year I dont think thats bad your odviously still young and getting nailed with high ins. Mine doesnt sit either it goes out every weekend and usually twice during the week as I'm surrounded by awsome roads. And I do take it to the track, but I would rather a 600 for the track.

do you really have to go to all that trouble to ride?

For the most part. My wife stays home with the kids. So for me to wake up on Saturday and say "have a good day, I'm going riding" isn't going to cut it. That turns her 5-day week into a 6-day week. I'm sure if I really wanted to go, it's not a matter of permission. It's a matter of conscience. But that commute gets me to work with a smile and relieves the stress of the day on the way home. I already have May 22nd carved out.

Actually 1/3 would be what 63mph, it's well into the 100's everytime we ride I dont use it as a work commuter its used for the twisties I've got a truck to go to work in. It's far more comfortable than a 600, has plenty of power so I dont have to shift every 10 seconds on a good set off twisties, on long stretches between good twisties I dont have to listen to the 13000 rpm revs that a 600 does, if the wife want to go its not luged down from 2up like a 600, and no its not capable of 190 anymore because I went -1 +1 on the sprockets. I've had a 500, every 600 out there, a 750, a 900 and a 954 and this is by far the best street bike I've ever had. I would rather take one of the 600's to the track though instead of the 1000.

I dont know what youve had in the past, just what youve got now so if youve never had a 1000 as your street bike youre not really in a positon to judge are you? Ive had your street bike and your track bike and have experinced the difference, have you ?

so you routinely go 100mph on public roads? I'm starting to see why our opinions differ.

As for riding in the twisties, i enjoy shifting gears. Putting it in 3rd and lugging it around is boring to me. may as well be an automatic at that point.

and how fast are you riding through these twisty roads? unless it's over 120, an SV650 takes turns just as well as a 1000RR; arguably better.

the only twin on your list is the 500. Do you have opinions on something like an SV650 or SV1000?

I don't think any supersport is ideal for street riding, so I wouldn't ride a 600 on the street either. i think i'll always have a twin as a street bike, or an older 600 modified for a more upright ride. I've ridden an R1 on the street, and it was very civilized - but I'd just feel like it was a waste of the power. If you disagree, and can afford the difference, to each their own - i just don't think it's worth it to own a 1000 purely for the acceleration. my 500 will do well over 100mph and is a hoot when the road curves. bigger bikes certainly pull away in a straight line, but it rarely matters to me.

so you routinely go 100mph on public roads? I'm starting to see why our opinions differ.

As for riding in the twisties, i enjoy shifting gears. Putting it in 3rd and lugging it around is boring to me. may as well be an automatic at that point.

and how fast are you riding through these twisty roads? unless it's over 120, an SV650 takes turns just as well as a 1000RR; arguably better.

the only twin on your list is the 500. Do you have opinions on something like an SV650 or SV1000?

I don't think any supersport is ideal for street riding, so I wouldn't ride a 600 on the street either. i think i'll always have a twin as a street bike, or an older 600 modified for a more upright ride. I've ridden an R1 on the street, and it was very civilized - but I'd just feel like it was a waste of the power. If you disagree, and can afford the difference, to each their own - i just don't think it's worth it to own a 1000 purely for the acceleration. my 500 will do well over 100mph and is a hoot when the road curves. bigger bikes certainly pull away in a straight line, but it rarely matters to me.

As for the speed on public roads, youve never ridin out here with us our twisties are boonie county roads with little to no traffic its not the city. As far as the sv opinons yes I do, the 1000 not a fan the 650 I am somewhat cosidering that as a track bike though not as much as an r6 I'm not a real big fan of twins....... unless theyre redheads about 5'7 110# 36c.

a 1000RR isn't a "malibu" or a "civic," it's a Ferrari Enzo. Sure you can, but why?

Does it make either less desirable to have for you own personal use? :wtf:

I still don't understand. There are pro-cons to each type of bike for each person and tastes vary depending on what THEY value, personally in whatever niche they're trying to ride in.

A liter bike for the street may not make sense to YOU, but I dunno how you can hate on someone else's choice for a street bike when you don't know where their priorities lie or what they feel the bike 'optimizes' for them.

I mean, any bike that's street legal is applicable for use on the street. We're not talking about a complete misapplication like taking a supersport onto an Arenacross course, nor taking a 450R onto Putnam. And even if we were... whatever, if someone wants to take a R1 over a tabletop...far be it from me to stop them.

Bikes are built to ride on the street - and they're capable, so I think that makes them pretty good for their application.

unless theyre redheads about 5'7 110# 36c.

finally, we agree on something!

it sounds like we just have different preferences when it comes to riding. I'd never utter a bad word about an SV650 as a track bike, but I absolutely prefer an I4 for track riding. the engine-braking of twins is less comfortable for me than an I4. My fault, not the bike's.

A liter bike for the street may not make sense to YOU, but I dunno how you can hate on someone else's choice for a street bike when you don't know where their priorities lie or what they feel the bike 'optimizes' for them.

I don't believe i 'hated' on anyone's choice; i just disagreed.

my bike is for cheap thrills, emphasis on cheap. Perhaps I should have said that up front.

the 'line' where street performance becomes overkill is different for everyone as well. i guess my threshold is lower than most. I like that my 500 feels fast compared to my econobox, and I like that my 600 feels fast compared to my 500. If i had a 1000 to ride around whenever I liked, I'd be afraid of getting used to it. Then I'd be out of cheap thrills completely...

I don't believe i 'hated' on anyone's choice; i just disagreed.

my bike is for cheap thrills, emphasis on cheap. Perhaps I should have said that up front.

the 'line' where street performance becomes overkill is different for everyone as well. i guess my threshold is lower than most. I like that my 500 feels fast compared to my econobox, and I like that my 600 feels fast compared to my 500. If i had a 1000 to ride around whenever I liked, I'd be afraid of getting used to it. Then I'd be out of cheap thrills completely...

I have a cheap thrills bike, and commuterish bike and my adrenaline bike you dont get used to one and lose the cheap thrills you just ride what your mood tells you too, my supermoto is nowhere near the power of the 1000 but there are times that I dont even consider the 1000 and go straight to the sumo and have just as much fun. And I kinda want to take the sumo to putnam once this year.