opinions on First 22 target rifle

scottb

I am starting to like the target aspect of shooting. After shooting the 308 Weatherby, I went looking for 308 model target rifles. The Remington 700 and a Savage bolt action 308 were nice, the price of $700 and up, plus the cost of 308 ammo makes a 308 not a good rifle to start off with.

So, I am looking at lower price models to learn the basics and to practice with. The 22 LR caliber seems to be a good formfactor to start off with. So, I am leanning towards the Remington 597 or the Ruger 10/22.

The Remington has a retail price of $193, and the Ruger retail price of $277. Ammo for 22 LR is crazy cheap, like 100 rounds for $6.

I would have money in the budget for a scope of some type. I am thinking of target shooting 50 - 100 yards. This will allow me to learn the basics of shooting and I could shoot at most ranges.

Does anyone have either of these? Pros and cons of either?

It seems firearms are like tattoo's, can't have just one.

Remington 597

597-prod.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff

Ruger 10/22

1151.jpg

I don't think you would go wrong with either. I've had several 10/22s. I've never had a problem with them and they are accurate as hell. Lot's of aftermarket mods available.

I have the 597. Only problem I've had was with the magazine. But They've changed them now and I think they pretty much fixed it. Shoots good enough for me. I have a 3-9x40 scope on mine. I have a Zoss scope on my 22-250 and have had no problem with it whatsoever. They are cheap scopes and everyone says they are crap, but I've shot about 40 groundhogs with it anywhere from 100-200 yards.

Thanks for the quick replies. Since I am just starting out, I am not sure what I would want to mod on the Rem 597 rifle, except maybe for the trigger. I am trying to find basic comparision info on the internet, but of course, whatever forum you are on = that model is the best. For around $500 (rifle and scope) to start a new hobby, i don't think i can go wrong with either.

I demand a range trip this weekend! I have the 597 with some mods done to it and it shoots great. I got mine from dick with scope for $140 The scope is crap hard to focus. But the gun after a few mods shoot great. Have shot the 10/22 before also a nice rifle. I got the 597 since it was almost $75 cheaper and had a scope on it already. So we going shooting on Sat? or sunday?

59722lr.jpg?t=1267672668

If you truly want to get into the target aspect and not just dumping lead downrange, I would suggest getting a bolt action.. Specifically, the Savage Mark II series (The BT series is really nice..)

10/22 are a lot of fun for fast shooting and you can spend a ton of money accurizing them. But if you liked the 308 and you want to learn precision shooting, the bolt action is the way to go to learn proper trigger control, bolt manipulation, and breathing, etc. Not to mention it will be more accurate then the semi auto will. Tons of precision shooters/competitors train with bolt action 22's.

Edited by flounder

What about the cz bolt guns I heard they are a good 22lr. If you are looking for a target semi auto get a 10/22 target model with the bull barrel. Will not be as accurate as a bolt gun but is better then the stock 10/22 is. I use my 597 for fun, and I hope to get some small game with it this year also.

It is hard to beat just about any .22 rifle built these days. I bought both of my boys Ruger 10/22's before they were big enough to hold them and last year the youngest boy said he wanted to get a bolt action .22 with his B-day money. You can get a Savage MKII rifle at Walmart for like 110 bucks and it shoots great, no problems with it here anyway.

I have a total of $500 to spend, so I figure that should cover the rifle, a scope, hard case and ammo. Shooting is one skill I want to work on. Since I cant paint or play a musical instrument, this is the next best thing. I will check out the Savage too.

When the zombies come, I have the Rem 870 for that.

I should be free for a trip to the range on Sunday.

If you truly want to get into the target aspect and not just dumping lead downrange, I would suggest getting a bolt action.. Specifically, the Savage Mark II series (The BT series is really nice..)

10/22 are a lot of fun for fast shooting and you can spend a ton of money accurizing them. But if you liked the 308 and you want to learn precision shooting, the bolt action is the way to go to learn proper trigger control, bolt manipulation, and breathing, etc. Not to mention it will be more accurate then the semi auto will. Tons of precision shooters/competitors train with bolt action 22's.

QFT bolt action is the way to go for real target shooting, but 22s are inexpensive so you could get a 10/22 and a nice ba 22 for target shooting. If you get the 10/22 watch out for the following:

1) if you shoot it alot you may have to replace the stock extractor for a hardened one, I wore mine out in under a year

2) be careful not to strip the tiny screws if you mount a scope on it very easy to do

I think I am gonna skip the show don't think it is gonna be any better then they have been in berea. The prices are way to high and if selling something no one wants to pay what is fair they all want it for cheap. I plan to go shoot I have to sight the scope in on my 597 I took the stock one off and put on a nikon prostaff I had on the mini. I also want to get some pratice in with the 9mm I have not shot it in about three weeks.