Tires for track and road

Cbosman

So I checked my tire pressure, 34psi front and 38psi in the back. My understanding is that the front should run higher not the back.

Well I changed it to 31/31. Slight adjustment on the rear suspension and we have a world of difference. Still gonna have a pro set up the suspension come next month or so. Thanks again guys.

I also run Qualifiers (although I did 2 seasons on Pilot Powers). I feel the Qualifiers are kind of in between the regular PP's and the 2CT's.

at a mid "I" pace, my next set of tires might be Dunlop 209's, but i have to burn through another Qualifier rear before my front is anywhere near gone.

30/30 is just a starting point for TRACK use. I keep pressures more like 34/36 on the street, and sometimes higher (with sport touring tires)

Wider or taller? A taller tire will effectively raise the rear ride height and make for quicker turn in. I just ordered a 190/55 to replace my 190/50 for this very reason

So, I keep reading in Motorcyclist and such that they'll put on a wider tire than factory to get a higher peak and quicker turn-in...any thoughts on this practice?

Wider or taller? A taller tire will effectively raise the rear ride height and make for quicker turn in. I just ordered a 190/55 to replace my 190/50 for this very reason

Not necessarily... On the newer crop of bikes, you raise the fronts and lower the rears adding trail...

The idea behind wider tires is due to power put on the ground. AMA guys are running 60-65 sidewalls with a Dunlop 190 rear...

There are no two tire types or sizes that are always the same. No industry standard if you will... A 190 from one company may be more narrow that another...

Not sure on your RC, but if you raise the rear (old school idea) on a newer generation bike, you're making things tougher on yourself.

Not necessarily... On the newer crop of bikes, you raise the fronts and lower the rears adding trail...

my brain is not quite wrapping around this idea. I need to think on this one for a bit. I need to do some googling to find an explanation ....

FYI, garysol1...I checked myself making sure I wasn't crazy....pg. 94 of the most recent motorcyclist "I first swapped the stock rubber for fresh Dunlop D211 GPs: a 120/70ZR-17 front and 200/55ZR-17 rear. The fat rear is 1.25 inches taller than the original-equipment skin". A little googling tells me the stock size for the 2009 R1 is a 190/55ZR-17 rear. So, I guess my original question was accurate...

my brain is not quite wrapping around this idea. I need to think on this one for a bit. I need to do some googling to find an explanation ....

Trust me... Ask me how we know this stuff...;)

Your bike may be different, but a modern R6, GSXR anything, etc are going to need to add trail to turn better and be ridden harder through turns.

As for wider tires, until you can get through a turn fast enough to warrant extra meat, you're simply wasting money and making the bike work harder. Again, AMA guys running 190s on 600s are doing it since they tend to carry more corner speed than average guys do...

Most every ama superbike runs a 200/55 and the supersport/sportbike classes use 190/55's. Brian is 100% correct in case of raising the front and dropping the rear. No two tire brands sizes will carry the same suspension set up required. ie; michelin uses a triangular profile ad a pirelli or bridgestone or dunlop has a much more rounded profile