So which one is a better starter gun?

speedytriple

Those are three of the best out there. As stated above, you can't go wrong with the 700. My 700vs 22-250 is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot out of the box. I've been looking at getting a .308 my self and am considering the Savage, mainly due to the adjustable trigger...I believe it's the only one with a factory adjustable trigger. An I personally would not go with the Tactical model, probably one of the Varmint models. Better ballistics with the longer barrel.

So is it better then the savage out of the box? I am not looking to buy a gun then throw tons of money into it right away. Pretty much would like to buy one out the box that is pretty good, add a nice scope and bipod and be done.

honestly, i think the gap between the rem and the savage is pretty small. they are both fine rifles. the savage has the "accutrigger" which may or may not mean anything to you... it also has a removable magazine IIRC, whereas the remington has a internal box.

id say get which ever one you think is cooler haha.

Edited by John

I like the ruger alot due to the system they use to mount scopes. No little screws to strip out on top of the gun. They use molded notches on the gun to mount the rings to, and they are included with there rifles. I love my mini 14 target, but would still like a good bolt gun. Not looking to do any matches or anything just target shoot for fun.

I have had Remington, Winchester, Ruger and Savages and have had no problems with any of then. Although I don't have a Savage right now I certainly wouldn't rule one out, they are hard to beat for the money.

This might not count since I am new, but i did look at the Rem 700. Great out of the box. I decided that one would be a bit much for my first rifle, the cost of the rifle plus the cost of ammo.........and you know what I ended up with to start small.I did like the Rem 700 with the stainless barrel at Dick's. If I continue and enjoy target / marksmanship, I will probably get a Bennili or Weatherby.

I'm sure they will all shoot better than most of us are capable of shooting them. I used to have a 700 BDL in .243. Great gun, but I don't think it would necessarily be any better than the others listed.

My current .308 is an 90 year-old Mauser conversion with a Mojo site. Actually, really accurate for such a cheap gun.

I'm not a gun expert but I really like the trigger in Isaac's Savage. It's pretty trick' date=' especially since you said you didn't want to spend any money upgrading. I also liked my 700, because it was black.. and nasty looking. :)[/quote']

im still trying to adjust mine

I've been doing some bolt gun research and just had a conversation with flounder on starter long range guns.

Of the ones you posted, get the savage. The barreled action is going to be about the same quality between the savage and the rem, and both are pretty decent out of the box. However, the stock is the weak link on the sps. The savage model you posted is the one with the HS precision stock. That stock will provide a better platform for accuracy.

Another option would be to buy the non HS model of the savage (or the sps varmint) and try to find a used HS take off stock. You might be able to save a few bucks that way.

Savage also sells a version with a mcmillan stock, but it will be priced more than the models you listed.

In terms of the ruger, the molded in scope mounts are going to be useless to you if you intend to reach longer distances unless its built with a 15-20 moa cant.

Rem 700 or Savage 10 series will do you just fine.. What is your budget because there are multiple versions of each and the prices will range from around 550-1200.. I can explain the differences between them Pros/Cons of the different barrel lenghts, twist rates, stocks (Alum bedding block, no bedding, flexible polymer, more ridged mold, etc), and triggers. YES these will make a difference depending on what your looking to do. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more and I will send you my phone number and we can discuss on the phone since there are so many variables.

I would stay away from the Ruger

Edited by flounder

my self and am considering the Savage, mainly due to the adjustable trigger...I believe it's the only one with a factory adjustable trigger. An I personally would not go with the Tactical model, probably one of the Varmint models. Better ballistics with the longer barrel.

Neither of these statements are true..

I am looking to spend maybe $1000 for the gun and the scope. I just plan on using it for target pratice right now. Not doing any real shooting for now. Once I get my teeth cut and learn alittle I might try one of Flounders meets he shoots at. So the savage is so far looking like it would be good to start off with out of the box and could get better later as I do. Who has the best prices on long guns? Vances?

I am looking to spend maybe $1000 for the gun and the scope. I just plan on using it for target pratice right now. Not doing any real shooting for now. Once I get my teeth cut and learn alittle I might try one of Flounders meets he shoots at. So the savage is so far looking like it would be good to start off with out of the box and could get better later as I do. Who has the best prices on long guns? Vances?

Plan for $400 minimum for a scope, base, and rings.. So now you need to adjust your budget accordingly.. Not to mention you will want a Harris bipod ($100)

Just as an FYI, I would suggest not listening to anyone regarding scopes, etc unless they have actually done LR shooting and know what it takes otherwise your going to spend money on a scope that wont meet your future needs.

So would this gun be a good start? Buds has it listed at $674 delivered. That would leave me almost $400 left for the scope rings and base. I already have a bipod I could put on it. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/78352

or they have this one for $597 which would leave me more for a better scope? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/78301

Edited by speedytriple