HID's turn off on start up??

Jcroz91

The DDM motorcycle specifici HIDs are the bees knees man! If your bike has spec minimum wiring harness (as most sport bikes do), get the wiring harness and draw power directly from the battery. Hell, if you have any electrical know how or know someone that does, you can just create your own jumper from the battery

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm, have you tried reading the thread instead of using retarded acronyms? I'm pretty sure we covered the problem, lol.

lets not be a internet tough guy but i have not had a chance but i will just because i think it's going to make u happy ;)

DDMs ballasts have an undercurrent protection system like most HID ballasts. If they aren't getting enough juice they'll shut down. Your factory wiring harness isn't supplying enough power, you need an accessory harness that draws power directly from the battery after startup.

And I suggest you do it soon before you melt the factory harness. Otherwise you're going to have a whole different mess on your hands.

Wiring is simple for these too so it's hard to do it wrong. Two spades go into factory headlight bulb connector, if they're in the wrong way the bulb won't fire at all so that isn't it. Visually inspect the rest of the wiring in the loop for the ballast to bulb, if you don't see anything and the connectors look good then it's probably not the kit.

If all else fails and they don't fire correctly after installing the accessory harness, it's time to look at a faulty ballast. Good thing DDM has a lifetime warranty on all their ballasts they sell.

that's because they are digital, correct?

I've run them on my M3 and my 748 with NO issues at all (projector housings of course, I hate it when idiots put HIDs in reflector housings)

Auxilary wiring harness is the way to go.. When I did my HID I simply used the factory harness a swtiched power source and the controller for the Hi/Lo. All the rest of the kit went straight to the battery with an inline fuse.

And I'm one of those idiots..:p

that's because they are digital, correct?

I've run them on my M3 and my 748 with NO issues at all (projector housings of course, I hate it when idiots put HIDs in reflector housings)

Correct. And I agree with the projector FTW statement too. Unfortunately I'm in the process of blinding people right now. Testing heat output on the reflector to see if there will be any issues with running it in my fragile headlight.

My plan is to get a Ducati 999/749 projector lens and modify my factory headlight to run it. Should be fun. lol

I hate it when idiots put HIDs in reflector housings)

If you feel like giving me a hand figuring out how i can get a projector housing into a 03 600rr without spending eleventy bazillion dollars, I'm all ears.

Hopefully this doesn't get too off topic.. But I'd like to clarify.

1. slapping HIDs in cute projector eyeballs that are designed for Halogens isn't much better.. To do it right, projectors must also be designed for HIDs.

2. HIDs on standard reflector isn't efficient and the scatter of light could be a little harder on the eyes. But some cars did/do come with reflector assemblies and use OEM HIDs..(Prius, pre 2005 Lexus ES series) Then again their reflectors are tweaked for HID vs Halogens. Most people fail to realign their headlight assemblies after upgrading to HID.. I find that causes more of the "blinding" effect that just having brighter lightsource.

3. as previously mentioned, it can be prohibitively expensive to do a real retrofit.. Doesn't make them and idiot.. Now if you want to discuss light color and stuff, that's a different story.

4. Some just do it for the look. appearance mods are to each their own right?

In my case, I sport tour alot.. and often at night. My bike doesn't have the reserve juice of a typical bigger ST bike. I also have a pretty worthless cyclops light. I'm of the opinion the headlight is just there more out of legality that function. For $65 I get better light output, saves me a little extra juice for the long haul, and longer lifespan than any halogen/xenon charged equivalent/higher priced incadescant bulb. I got tired or replacing my Silverstar after 4 months. That 20Watt savings makes enough of a difference when you've got electronics and heated grips going. But I'm the minority.. I sport tour with an old school sport bike and I went HID more for function than form. That doesn't say an FX35 retrofit isn't in my future though. :D

I'm not offended or anything.. Just wanted to clarify things.

Hopefully this doesn't get too off topic.. But I'd like to clarify.

1. slapping HIDs in cute projector eyeballs that are designed for Halogens isn't much better.. To do it right, projectors must also be designed for HIDs.

Disagree to an extent. While projector lenses aren't perfect, they get rid of a lot of stray light coming from a reflector housing that's doing nothing but scattering everywhere. HID projector > Halogen projector >>>>>> Stock reflector.

2. HIDs on standard reflector isn't efficient and the scatter of light could be a little harder on the eyes. But some cars did/do come with reflector assemblies and use OEM HIDs..(Prius, pre 2005 Lexus ES series) Then again their reflectors are tweaked for HID vs Halogens. Most people fail to realign their headlight assemblies after upgrading to HID.. I find that causes more of the "blinding" effect that just having brighter lightsource.

Agreed.

3. as previously mentioned, it can be prohibitively expensive to do a real retrofit.. Doesn't make them and idiot.. Now if you want to discuss light color and stuff, that's a different story.

Agreed.

4. Some just do it for the look. appearance mods are to each their own right?

Meh. I did it for light output, the color is just a side effect. 4500-5000 K FTMFW.

In my case, I sport tour alot.. and often at night. My bike doesn't have the reserve juice of a typical bigger ST bike. I also have a pretty worthless cyclops light. I'm of the opinion the headlight is just there more out of legality that function. For $65 I get better light output, saves me a little extra juice for the long haul, and longer lifespan than any halogen/xenon charged equivalent/higher priced incadescant bulb. I got tired or replacing my Silverstar after 4 months. That 20Watt savings makes enough of a difference when you've got electronics and heated grips going. But I'm the minority.. I sport tour with an old school sport bike and I went HID more for function than form. That doesn't say an FX35 retrofit isn't in my future though. :D

I'm not offended or anything.. Just wanted to clarify things.

I am enormously offended at your clear and concise write up.

doh!!!:)

Too bad I can't get rep for my first offensive post..haha

If you wish I could edit it in a more vague and short sighted way..:p

2nd Gen R6 FTW if you want HIDs ;) no seriously it's great to already have projectors in your bike. and just as a side note for you guys, the DDM HIDs seem to drop in color temp over time. My 6000k bulbs were icy/very light blue to start and are now almost purely crisp white after a few months of use. still my favorite upgrade to the bike thus far.

Edited by smashweights

ok so listen to this... today went riding for about 40 min and when i got home and turned the bike off the battery was whining really loud. so i took the seat off and the battery was smoking. I disconected the battery right away and it didnt stop the whistle. This is a brand new battery. literally got it a week ago. it was smoking and whistling and the seem that it was smoking out of looked moist. Im not sure it the plastic was melting or what but i knew it wasnt good. then i noticed the sides of the battery looked to have bowed out like the thing was about to blow up. i just took the battery out and set it on the floor. it eventually stopped steaming and whistling but im not sure whats going on. im going to take that battery to get it replaced soon.

do you think all this could be from the HID's?

ok so listen to this... today went riding for about 40 min and when i got home and turned the bike off the battery was whining really loud. so i took the seat off and the battery was smoking. I disconected the battery right away and it didnt stop the whistle. This is a brand new battery. literally got it a week ago. it was smoking and whistling and the seem that it was smoking out of looked moist. Im not sure it the plastic was melting or what but i knew it wasnt good. then i noticed the sides of the battery looked to have bowed out like the thing was about to blow up. i just took the battery out and set it on the floor. it eventually stopped steaming and whistling but im not sure whats going on. im going to take that battery to get it replaced soon.

So was it a whistling or a whining? You're talking about two completely different pitches, two completely different sounds. If you want us to help you, you have to be as precise as you can. If it was a whistling, I'm pretty sure that's something escaping out of the battery and that thing is now fuckered.

As Don said, you've got bigger issues and unfortunately it's time to invest in a multimeter and start tearing apart the wiring harness, looking for frayed wires, shorted wires, something that shouldn't be connected to something else, something that shouldn't be touching something else, melted harnesses, disfigured harnesses, any of that. My best advice for you is to get an account on gixxer.com. get a service manual, and start reading. If you have something that's really stumping you (and us), ask the gixxer.com people since there are a hell of a lot more of them that have your model bike then there are here.

Are you really as stupid as you portray yourself to be? I find it hard to believe. If you're REALLY that stupid, you'd be on meds or something by now. :nono:

So was it a whistling or a whining? You're talking about two completely different pitches, two completely different sounds. If you want us to help you, you have to be as precise as you can. If it was a whistling, I'm pretty sure that's something escaping out of the battery and that thing is now fuckered.

As Don said, you've got bigger issues and unfortunately it's time to invest in a multimeter and start tearing apart the wiring harness, looking for frayed wires, shorted wires, something that shouldn't be connected to something else, something that shouldn't be touching something else, melted harnesses, disfigured harnesses, any of that. My best advice for you is to get an account on gixxer.com. get a service manual, and start reading. If you have something that's really stumping you (and us), ask the gixxer.com people since there are a hell of a lot more of them that have your model bike then there are here.

i have a multimeter. it looks like my altinator is putting out 19 volts! possibly over-charging the battery? i dont have much time to tear into it working and school both full time.

yeah i have an account on gsxr.com and gixxer.com. I just havnt been on bike forums much lately. completely forgot i even had accounts on there.

i have a multimeter. it looks like my altinator is putting out 19 volts! possibly over-charging the battery? i dont have much time to tear into it working and school both full time.

yeah i have an account on gsxr.com and gixxer.com. I just havnt been on bike forums much lately. completely forgot i even had accounts on there.

Yeah, 19V sounds just a little high to me. When I put the probes on the terminals when the bike is on and at idle I get about 13.8/13.9.

My first guess was a short or bad ground involving the HID harness.. But I figured it would have been fused which should have popped by now.. Then with whistling and poofted battery talk my next guess was voltage regulator or stator going bad.

19V seems pretty high and can certainly fry stuff.. I suggest checking out the charging system and as previously stated, start checking for pinched or frayed wiring.

That whistling/whining is your bikes electrical system being boiled like a lobster..:D

Good luck!

"altinator" <-----------:lol:

Rectifier

Rectifier

thats exactly what GSXR.com is saying it prob is. i went and took my battery back to the pony today and they swaped it out for me. i need to get a new rectifier now... any ideas as to where to get one?

i mean i found this one but im not sure how expensive they should be. is bike bandit a good site to order from?

http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-suzuki-gsxr750-rectifiers-regulators/c/a669901?mg=3852&t=1