Need some Bike advice.

KL9 F4i

Hey guys need a little help. My buddy just picked up an '82 Harley Sportster Ironhead and it is having a few problems. We picked it up last week and it kept dying and running like crap[ended up putting it in a truck to get it home]... This weekend he replaced plugs and battery and she was running really good. However, today we were riding and and when I was behind him the bike was making a Popping sound every so often and a small flame could be seen in the exhaust when it would pop. Also, the bike has issues starting up every once in awhile [not too frequently though] Hopefully someone can shoot me back some advice to give him. I dont really i know what to tell him because I ride a sportbike and no nothing about a carburated bikes, much less harley's. Maybe someone on here might be able to help out. Thanks.

magley snark aside, it sounds like the carbs need to be completely stripped and cleaned. Not too sure on the bike's history, but if it's been sitting around for a while (years, not months) these things happen. Before you expend the time and effort to rip everything apart, try running some Seafoam mixed with the gas and see what that does.

+1 on carb cleaning. But first get some Seafoam, and not some imitation. Seafoam only FTW. Put it in the gas per the directions then go out and drive it like you stole it for a tankful.

Edit Oh, poster above me also mentioned Seafoam. He is a very astute poster...so +1 on his Seafoam idea.

+1 on carb cleaning. But first get some Seafoam, and not some imitation. Seafoam only FTW. Put it in the gas per the directions then go out and drive it like you stole it for a tankful.

Edit Oh, poster above me also mentioned Seafoam. He is a very astute poster...so +1 on his Seafoam idea.

aw, shucks.

Hey guys need a little help. My buddy just picked up an '82 Harley Sportster Ironhead and it is having a few problems. We picked it up last week and it kept dying and running like crap[ended up putting it in a truck to get it home]... This weekend he replaced plugs and battery and she was running really good. However, today we were riding and and when I was behind him the bike was making a Popping sound every so often and a small flame could be seen in the exhaust when it would pop. Also, the bike has issues starting up every once in awhile [not too frequently though] Hopefully someone can shoot me back some advice to give him. I dont really i know what to tell him because I ride a sportbike and no nothing about a carburated bikes, much less harley's. Maybe someone on here might be able to help out. Thanks.

the fire and poping could just be a back fire when he lets off the gas or down shifts. Harley's never idle good thats part of the fun they dont get in sink till higher rpm's. Just run it till it stops running thats what I would do. then you will know that you really have a problem. Dont let the 4 banger nut huger's get on you to much for asking for a friend.

With a HD of that era you could have a variety of issues. A tuneup is a good start. Then maybe check the seals on the air intake and the exhaust. If that doesn't do the trick, I would say it's time to pull the heads and check the valve seals.

Oh, and what color are the plugs when you take them out now? Sounds like it might be just a bit lean on the idle circuit the way you describe the decel popping. That might be all you are up against right now.

wait, what? geez, check the spark timing first. To make it worse, some Harleys were known for bad timing marks. A few have to be top dead centered and have new marks put on. It's worth a look in the sparkplug hole when rotating, to see if it even looks like it's at top dead center when rotating to the timing mark. Best to use two people sometimes. But if it's stopped at the top of piston lift, it should be right on the TDC mark.

It sounds to me that it is a combo is dirty carbs and dirty valves. Timing might be a issue as well, but I would start with the dirt issue. Good gas, and drive it like ya stole it to blow much of it out as you can.

:plus1: on the seafoam. Good stuff!

Oh, and I don't know about Cheech being an astute poster, maybe more of an ASS TOOT poster! :lol:

:plus1: on the seafoam. Good stuff!

Oh, and I don't know about Cheech being an astute poster, maybe more of an ASS TOOT poster! :lol:

that's it, next time I come to your shop I'm doing a burnout in your garage. :)