bike towing / travel - sportbike carrier

bigd

They are expensive, heavy and they block your license plate. I would look at a trailer if you are planning on hauling your bike anywhere. Its a good Idea, but it puts a lot of weight directly on your hitch & that doesn't help steering/ride control.

Seems to me like a trailer, or even better, a ramp with some tie downs to put the bike directly into the truck bed would be best. The thing you're thinking about reminds me of the power chair carriers I see on the back of a minivan or Lincoln Town Car.

$300? You can get a trailer for around $600 Why not go that route and have something alot more versatile?

hell I got my trailer for $300. I didn't NEED a trailer but was hard to pass up the deal

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with one of these? looking to get my bike to the track and thought this might be a good option.

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/sport-bike-hauler.htm

thanks for thoughts / help on this.

I use the Versa-haul which is similar. Seems to work pretty good and never had an issue with it toting my bike over 1000 some miles

so far. I have a 2500HD so tongue weight is

not an issue. I will say with shorter wheelbase vehicles there might be issues with tongue weight and driving issues by hanging 500 lbs off the back of the vehicle.

Yes on the Pacifica tongue weight my biggest issues with the trailer are storage and having to keep it registered all the time

Same exact reason when I bought mine. Just didn't have the space for a trailer when I lived in a small townhouse.

I have one (different brand) I should probably sell. It's a quality piece, and served its purpose well. I didn't have room for a trailer and didn't want to mess with borrowing or renting one every time I needed it. This thing is super easy to load/ unload. I won't lie, it made me nervous the first few times I used it, but I never had an issue.

Can a pacifica handle 500lbs of tongue weight?

that's my concern too.

I would go with either one of those 'trailer in a bag' things that are made to fold up, or the type that just holds the front wheel with the hitch.

This seems way better to me than carrying the full weight of the bike on the hitch. Certainly not ideal, but better. http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle_caddy.htm

rhmc1bscanb.jpg

FYI: I believe they strongly advise removing the chain for that setup.

more expensive, but probably the best idea for someone with limited storage space http://67.222.3.96/ZenWeb/motorcycle/trailerinabag.htm

single.jpg

I had PLENTY of arguments with the wife over a trailer. She wanted my truck gone and to not have to help me load though. We settled on this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90154

utf-8BSU1HMDAzOTkuanBn.jpg

it doesn't fold quite as nicely with the decking, but it folds well enough. Stores easily in front of my car.

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTMuanBn.jpg

Edited by redkow97

sounding more and more like a trailer it will be. I wanted to do that motorcycle caddy thing..but it's discontinued and the bike is supposed to "lean in the turns". That's f-ing scary to see the bike leaning this way and that towing behind. Oddly, my guess would be that's why those things are discontinued.