Who wants to help me wrench on my new bike?

Ryan_c_F

:D

V65 Crew?

EDIT - Now with pics!

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

There are some pretty serious cosmetic details to sort out. This turn signal fixture is about the worst of them, but the rears are held up by a bungee cord? lol. I'll epoxy this broken one together (front left), and then I'm gonna tap out a new location for them on the license plate frame I think.

IMG_0419.jpg

Edited by Ryan_c_F

It was dark by the time I decided I had to have it.

Soooon.

Blackandsilversabre.jpg

cosmetically it's rough but the engine feels fine. No sputtering, no noises when there shouldn't be.

Needs the brakes handled up. Front feels spongy.

No head work though, haha.

I have never worked on a V65 sabre but have been all over my V65 Magna and my buddies V45 Sabre.

To start on the brakes I would first clean out the master cylinder and make sure the return port is clean then flush all of the old fluid out.

I wouldn't say that. I am a man yes, the man not so much. I should have work off tomorrow but might run out to Toledo with a friend to look at a bike. I say should because I should be at work right now (my wife took our daughter to the ER since here brother thought it was a good idea to hit her with a broom stick on the arm) they might call me in. I won't know till last minute

i wouldn't say that. I am a man yes, the man not so much. I should have work off tomorrow but might run out to toledo with a friend to look at a bike. I say should because i should be at work right now (my wife took our daughter to the er since here brother thought it was a good idea to hit her with a broom stick on the arm) they might call me in. I won't know till last minute

the

The engine's downfall was premature camshaft wear in some early models; both V45, 1000 and V65. In retrospect, the wear was caused by inadequate oil flow to the heads/cams driving for a long time on low rpm (under 3000) and at cold start /engine warmup procedure, non-accurate valve adjustment, and sometimes insufficient maintenance. Owners have often modified their oiling systems and successfully eliminated the wear problem, and some companies, like DRP, sell kits / oilmods to do this modification.

fyi

The engine's downfall was premature camshaft wear in some early models; both V45, 1000 and V65. In retrospect, the wear was caused by inadequate oil flow to the heads/cams driving for a long time on low rpm (under 3000) and at cold start /engine warmup procedure, non-accurate valve adjustment, and sometimes insufficient maintenance. Owners have often modified their oiling systems and successfully eliminated the wear problem, and some companies, like DRP, sell kits / oilmods to do this modification.

fyi

mine's got one, apparently. :cool:

need brake pads, fork seals, and perhaps a master cylinder in the rear. that's not even $100 worth of parts.

fyi

The 500 also had this issue, although from what I've been finding, dropped valves are more common with the 500.

If you were closer, I know how to do some of the stuff, but I have not done fork seals before, although I'm sure I could figure it out!

The 500 also had this issue, although from what I've been finding, dropped valves are more common with the 500.

If you were closer, I know how to do some of the stuff, but I have not done fork seals before, although I'm sure I could figure it out!

Actually I heard the 500s were immune.

Weird.

pics yet?

patience, young padawan. tomorrow morning i'm going to get it.

I can help you with the brakes. Let me know your schedule. I work 3rd shift Sunday night through Thursday night. And the dealership usually Friday and Saturday during the day.

Sweet, we have diametrically opposed schedules.

8-5 at the bank during the week. weekend might have a saturday morning shift and i work a second job in the evenings on saturday, sunday and thursday nights.

:cheers:

Actually I heard the 500s were immune.

Weird.

Nope! The 500's have weak valve springs and usually die from a dropped valve before the cam wear issue shows up! I have the original engine off my 500 here, and it has the cam wear issue REALLY bad! Both engines have valve problems, from a lack of maintenance, frequent over-revving, or both.