Need a new truck

asian900ss

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that those tests aren't "real", but like f4 said -- they're biased, I'm sure they chose those specific tests that play to Ford's strengths.

That being said, I've traveled around the block as a green engineer looking at how things are made and corporate cultures... the Tundra may very well be weaker than the Chevy or Ford, likely it is, but much of the Far East manufacturing is done to "right size" the product.

For instance, if you look at a die to stamp panels for a US automotive OE manufacturer, a lot of them are built to handle multiple millions of hits with relatively little maintenance. They are just beefy. I bet there's US tooling out there that you could put into a press and still stamp out parts for an '82 Cutlass.

Compare that to a Japanese tool - it's built to handle 1 to 2 million hits and if it totally crumbles into metal ashes at the 2M+1 hit - so be it, that's how it was designed.

That philosophy and culture filters all the way down through the organization - the US "beefy/robust" vs. the Japanese "Right size, Right Spec, No waste". So, I'd bet that the US trucks are "tougher", but how important is that under the given circumstances?

I don't use a flamethrower to light a candle when a match will do. But, then again, there's something to be said for having a tool WAY more than capable of handling the job you ask it to do.

:rant:

Like using a 5 pound sledge hammer to drive a finish nail.

I personally know someone that bought a 2001 F-250 Super Duty 4X4 power stroke and has highway tread tires on it, and rarely hauls more than himself in it. Why did he buy such a truck? Beacuse it' sbig and heavy duty, so it should hold up better and last longer, and diesel fuel was cheaper, and better fuel economy at the time. Is that the case? Not at all!!!! He's considering a small truck, such as the OP is talking about when he decides to replace it.

Ive got a colorado. If you are going for fuel mileage, id have to say the 5 cyl isnt going to be your friend.I get about 18-20 in the city. As for looks i feel the colly wins hands down, and it has 1/2 ton towing capability, but as i stated the fuel mileage is going to be about the same as a full size.

DSCN2029.jpg

Only 1/2 ton towing??? I think you mean hauling as in the bed and most likely the colorado is realistically 1/4-1/2 ton hauling. Towing is probably closer to 2500-3000 lbs.

Hauling and Towing are completely different.

Edited by flounder

HAHA the newb called me a moron basing his facts off of youtube videos. So anyone wanna make a video and post it on youtube stating the Delorean can actually time travel? Obviously if it's on youtube its a fact. We can use images from a top secret test I know of codenamed "back to the future".

I was stating my opinions, if you don't like them.....sorry???

yup, i have to have "street" cred for the interwebz right...i'm sorry i ain't fly for ya lol. I'm basing this off of previous ownership of a tundra as well as friends experiences with these trucks. Biggest reason i got rid of it was because of the shitty frame, lack of durability in the drive train etc. Its a pretty truck with a nice engine but thats about it.

Better bases for facts Meanie?

To the OP, how heavy do you plan on towing?

yup, i have to have "street" cred for the interwebz right...i'm sorry i ain't fly for ya lol. I'm basing this off of previous ownership of a tundra as well as friends experiences with these trucks. Biggest reason i got rid of it was because of the shitty frame, lack of durability in the drive train etc. Its a pretty truck with a nice engine but thats about it.

Eh prolly the occasional 4 bike trailer and a 3500lb boat... And when Yota wants to bring home a fat chick I kinda need at least a 1/2 ton :lol: he's the best wing man FYI

I'm pretty biased on Chevy trucks. Based on the trucks our company owns (close to 70 I think now) It is probably 50% Chevy, 40% Ford and 10% Dodge. I have worked on all brands and it just seemed like the Chevy trucks held up better to the abuse they take.

The older Fords were absolutely awesome but we bought 4 new F350's in 08 and every single one has been back to the dealership for extended periods of time for warranty work so I cannot stand them

The dodges are ok, pretty standard trans issues with almost all of them but sturdy trucks nonetheless. I don't really have any personal experience on the foreign trucks but my buddy has had a Tundra crew cab for about 5 years now and absolutely loves it

what was wrong with the frame? What was wrong with the drive train? Just curious as to what made it "shitty".

Ive seen yota double up on fat chicks before.. Remember the night we ditched him Rob.. hahahahahhahaha yota was the cream filling between to huge fatties.

OMG Bro! I forgot all about that night! we ditched his ass and he showed back up at your place fuckin 4 hrs later smelling like sweaty vag! ha ha oops...:lol:

Mahindra diesel.

mahindra_diesel_truck_US.jpg

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/taj-mahauler-we-drive-the-mahindra-diesel-pik-up.html

http://www.dfwmahindra.com/

Exact details of the hybrids are currently scarce, but DFW Mahindra says the diesel-electric variants should be here by 2011 (diesel-only variants may arrive as soon as Spring of 2010). The diesel motor that will be used is Mahindra's new mHawk motor, a 2.2-liter I-4 turbodiesel, which delivers around 150 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque, 5000lb. towing capacity, 2,765lb. carrying capacity.

DFW Mahindra will sell the Mahindra Pickup Truck, also called the Mahindra Diesel, Mahindra Diesel Hybrid, Mahindra Hybrid, Mahindra Truck, Mahindra Trucks or Mahindra Diesel SUV, imported from India, in Dallas, Texas and surrounding areas.

Mahindra’s mid-size trucks and SUVs offer a blend of ruggedness, performance and affordability. They have the largest payload of any compact pickup truck (2,765 pounds)* and an estimated 5,000 pound towing capacity*.

Top it off with a 4-year 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and you’ll find that these babies are even more cost-efficient than the best hybrids and are brimming with uncompromising features.

30 MPG* • 4-WHEEL ABS BRAKES • UNIQUE SYYLING • EXTRA LONG CARGO BED • ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL • TRACTION CONTROL • ROLL-OVER MITIGATION • 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION • AM/FM/CD/USB AUDIO SYSTEM

Forget everything you thought you knew about diesel engines.

Edited by Benyen Soljax

what was wrong with the frame? What was wrong with the drive train? Just curious as to what made it "shitty".

axles wouldnt last, rear axle mainly. When towing anything of remote heaviness the frame would flex so much you would think that it was about to taco itself.

axles wouldnt last, rear axle mainly. When towing anything of remote heaviness the frame would flex so much you would think that it was about to taco itself.

I had a long reply typed up for your last post and realized I don't really care....

Anyway what year Tundra did you have?

i have a hard time believing a toyota 8 inch wouldnt last. did you measure the frame to conmfirm the frame was flexing. i towe my 89 toyota with a 01 dodge cummins 6pd 4wd 1 ton, then two weeks later towed it with my 2wd 4.7 tundra and it felt about the same. unless my truck isnt enough weight to flex the frame

i have a hard time believing a toyota 8 inch wouldnt last. did you measure the frame to conmfirm the frame was flexing. i towe my 89 toyota with a 01 dodge cummins 6pd 4wd 1 ton, then two weeks later towed it with my 2wd 4.7 tundra and it felt about the same. unless my truck isnt enough weight to flex the frame

The only flexing I remember is the bed would flex if there was too much weight on the tailgate. However, I believe that issue has been resolved. I've never heard of the frame flexing, but then again I don't hang out on the Tundra forums. I have visited a few, just to see current complaints/issues and that wasn't one I remember seeing.

F4isvt - does yours have the 7year/100k warranty? Seems to me if there was a drive train or frame issue it would be covered under the warranty unless you were trying to tow/haul something that was above the rated tow/hauling weight.

Um meanie. Im asain no worries on the height issue. But thanks for the concern on that one. Redracer how much did that 04 run you? that kinda sounds like what im looking for...
back in 04 i financed 17K new and 4 years later with 111,000 miles on it when it was totaled i got 4800 back from insurance. what really sucks was that i was going to put my summer rims and tires on the next morning after work. i still have the rims a kn intake and a jet chip module for it in the shed.