We speak English here

Sapphy

So just saw this. A guy running for Governor in Alabama is starting is campaign on the platform of "We speak English here, and if you want to live here you have to learn it" He promise that the 12 other languages that they give drivers test in will be a thing of the past and the test will only com in English.

I am mixed on this, I do get tired of needing to speak another language to place an order at a restaurant, but at the same time being politically correct has been beat into me soo much.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/alabama-gubernatorial-candidate-tim-james-this-is-alabama-we-speak-english/19456080?ncid=webmaildl1

Fuck. In Alabama they should learn English. Or at least a close proximaty.

I went to school in Luxembourg, where there are four languages actively taught and used. World's bigger than Alabama, and the days of the US as the Sole superpower are done. Should learn Mandarin Chinese too, if we're smart. :o

Fuck. In Alabama they should learn English. Or at least a close proximaty.
Why the hell are all of you speaking English anyway?

I live in America, I should speak American. Cheerio, Gov'na!

One of the things I remember hearing as a child that has always been good for a chuckle:

"Talk American , Dammit!!"

how many traffic signs do you see in any language other than english?

that would depend on where you are.

ive seen a lot of traffic signs in other languages. they are all over quebec. same in mexico too...

damn straight. if you move somewhere, god damnit you speak their language.

thats why we all speak cherokee...

er... wait a sec.

I don't even like VISITING other countries without being able to speak the language...

If Rosetta Stone didn't cost 500 fucking dollars, I would make an honest effort at Spanish and maybe French.

i just think about how irritated I used to get when old Hungarian women would shop at the grocery store I worked at in high school. Their English sucked ass, but at least they were trying! If they just showed up and expected me to be able to speak Hungarian, I would have looked at them like they were retarded.

it's a silly, ultra-conservative platform to base a campaign on, but in Alabama, it might work.

Press one for English.

I don't even like VISITING other countries without being able to speak the language...

If Rosetta Stone didn't cost 500 fucking dollars, I would make an honest effort at Spanish and maybe French.

i just think about how irritated I used to get when old Hungarian women would shop at the grocery store I worked at in high school. Their English sucked ass, but at least they were trying! If they just showed up and expected me to be able to speak Hungarian, I would have looked at them like they were retarded.

it's a silly, ultra-conservative platform to base a campaign on, but in Alabama, it might work.

Actually the best way to learn is go to where you are forced to learn it. I learned more useful spanish while I was in Socal than I did in H.S.

Press one for English.

Actually the best way to learn is go to where you are forced to learn it. I learned more useful spanish while I was in Socal than I did in H.S.

Yea when I went to Kyrgyzstan back in 2007 I pick up on Russian really quick. I forgot all of it since then but it's still a good expierence.

Good for Alabama...hope he get's in and passes it into law. Same goes for Arizona, they are setting a good example there showing illegals that they are not fuckin' around anymore. No Green Card...then GTFO. That's how it should be.

Good for Alabama...hope he get's in and passes it into law. Same goes for Arizona, they are setting a good example there showing illegals that they are not fuckin' around anymore. No Green Card...then GTFO. That's how it should be.

Because only illegals are unable to speak english. :rolleyes:

gonna call bs on this one, I have drove in multiple countries (Korea, Japan, Qatar) and did not know any of the local language. if you can tell the difference between and octagon and a triangle you are gtg

Sure red, green and octagons are pretty easy but construction signs and road hazard signs are a little bit tougher.