Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring

max power

Sure, you are right in certain regards, but understand that for under $12k, we can get a machine that takes a car that costs 10x that do beat... And even at that, not many can pull it off...

This case? Sure. But one, the cost is substantial. Cage lovers hate the idea that we can buy such performance for such little cost...

Ok, previous question answered ... "zero cars" I'm not currently driving a CTSV (which I can afford, and would most likely choose).

The bike defender almost always throws the money card out ... Sure I agree that $12K buys a huge performance vehicle ... but why the need to dodge the question with a money issue. My statement was based on contact patch only, 4 vs. 2.

If you want to involve money in the equation, lets say you take a base performance car vs. a base performance bike ... and then spend a normal amount of cash to upgrade them. Compare those vehicles and what is there?

Say, a Dodge Charger vs. a Yamaha R6S.

With the normal vehicles upgraded and compared, I'd agree the R6S would most likely perform better.

Without the money equation, allowing ultimate engineering and technology, I'm betting on 4 wheels to reign supreme.

When is money ever OUT of the equation though? Never.

Besides, the "ultimate engineering and technology" vehicle wouldn't even have wheels. Wheels limit travel to a two-dimensional plane (more or less). See: Space shuttles, rockets, jets.

The ultimate in "wheeled engineering and technology" always seem to take after motorcycles regarding their relative width and aero principles- they just add more rubber for additional contact patch. See LSR holding vehicles, streamliners, and Top Fuel dragsters. I would bet you there's more money and engineering involved in making a car go 400+mph in a straight line than an F1 car turn around a course.

Edited by JRMMiii

Ok, previous question answered ... "zero cars" I'm not currently driving a CTSV (which I can afford, and would most likely choose).

The bike defender almost always throws the money card out ... Sure I agree that $12K buys a huge performance vehicle ... but why the need to dodge the question with a money issue. My statement was based on contact patch only, 4 vs. 2.

If you want to involve money in the equation, lets say you take a base performance car vs. a base performance bike ... and then spend a normal amount of cash to upgrade them. Compare those vehicles and what is there?

With the normal vehicles upgraded and compared, I'd agree the R6S would most likely perform better.

Without the money equation, allowing ultimate engineering and technology, I'm betting on 4 wheels to reign supreme.

I'm not a bike defender, but a realist. Why do you believe money isn't an objective arguement? You can afford a Ferrari like this? Nope.

Can you afford a GSXR1000? Yup. Getting the performance found within the motorcycle is amazing. It's relatively cheap and what you get is amazing power to weight ratio which isn't going to be found in a car until you spend 6 digits... and more...

Point is that you can use the Ferrari as your choice. But realize just how amazing these bikes are for the money.

Relax killer... You can priase the cages on some tuner forums and be in wonderland.

By the way, a CTSV? Really?

Ok then MY bike is faster than YOUR car. :) congrats on being able to afford a CTS-V, when you get one then we can talk. I can afford a CTS-V too but I dont have one so I guess it really doesn't matter.

Congrats on being able to afford a CTS-V, when you get one then we can talk. I can afford a CTS-V too but I dont have one so I guess it really doesn't matter.

I can afford your mom, but her price to performance figures aren't that stellar. It's really a buyers' market.

:D:D:p:p

Ok then MY bike is faster than YOUR car. :)

I know, I know, you couldn't wait to post that.

Sure you and your bike may be really fast.

Can the world's best bike outperform the world's best car?

the car/bike debate will rage on long after any of us are still around to argue it.

The fact is that different tracks play to the strengths of different vehicles. Bikes accelerate like nobody's business, but can't maintain the same corner speed as properly balanced sports cars.

a course with a bunch of sweeping turns and few acceleration zones would clearly favor a car, because it maintains more speed through turns. A course with a bunch of relatively low-speed turns that are all followed by a monster-acceleration straight would see the bike making up any time it loses in the corners, and ultimately pulling away from the car.

how many people actually know how to ride/drive their bike or car to its potential anyway? Most people only know how to accelerate hard, and they think that makes them a good driver or rider. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think it would actually be an interesting experiment to put an 'average' driver behind the wheel of a 599 and an average rider on a liter bike, and see who turns the faster lap. That would at least start to show which vehicle is easier for the masses to lap quickly.

The fact is that different tracks play to the strengths of different vehicles.

Excellent point.

The following is a quote from "TOP GEAR" UK...

"So if the bike is better on the straights because of its quicker acceleration and the car is better in corners because of its superior mechanical grip and aerodynamics, does that mean it comes down to the track layout?"