SOOO who here uses Shell Rotella T Oil in their bikes?

Dubguy85

I engineer also and worked for a chemical additive company testing gear oil. A friend of mine still works there and swears by rotella t. He uses it in his 65' mustang drag car. Diesel spec oils go thru more stringent certifying tests than "gasoline oils" before they can hit the market. I only change my oil once a year using repsol full synthetic but now that rotella has a JASO spec I might look into it because my only concern was the wet clutch. The worry is some oils have a lot if friction modifiers which isn't the best for wet clutches.

I engineer also and worked for a chemical additive company testing gear oil. A friend of mine still works there and swears by rotella t. He uses it in his 65' mustang drag car. Diesel spec oils go thru more stringent certifying tests than "gasoline oils" before they can hit the market. I only change my oil once a year using repsol full synthetic but now that rotella has a JASO spec I might look into it because my only concern was the wet clutch. The worry is some oils have a lot if friction modifiers which isn't the best for wet clutches.

The other worry/scare story is that some of the Rotella diesel oils have a low amount of anti-foaming agent. Or did in the past. Hard to say what has what, but I'd bet the JASO-MA qualified oils aren't going to foam up and over heat.

I feel like being a :postwhore:

So, I just wanted to give a +1 to Tom and Pauly. For me, the JASO-MA cert is the most important -- the rest is just brand preference, especially with the frequency most people on here change their oil. I rarely get over 3000 miles on mine before it comes out. I looked at those TLS teardown pics and wasn't moved. Anyone that changes oil every 1500 miles could run almost anything and it'll come out fine, especially if they're drag racing. Drag racing isn't exactly that hard on the engine or clutch if it's a relatively stock engine.

Just FTR, I use M1 10w40 4T Racing and Purolator filters on both my bikes.

Edited by JRMMiii

some of you might like this article,

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

excerpts from article,

One common claim is that motorcycle oils have specific additives that are more suited for motorcycle engines. Based on an average of the three automotive oils we tested, the bike oils do in fact contain more of everything except calcium and boron. Note that the average moly content, which is often the friction modifier of choice, is higher in the motorcycle oils than the car oils mainly due to the three bike oils that use an extremely high moly content.

We did, however, unequivocally answer a few questions. For one, most name-brand motorcycle-specific oils are indeed different than common automotive oils, even within the same brand, debunking a common myth. Mobil One automotive oil is definitely different than its motorcycle-specific version. The same is true for the three oils provided by Castrol, showing that both companies have different goals when formulating their automotive and motorcycle products

Edited by serpentracer

some of you might like this article,

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

excerpts from article,

One common claim is that motorcycle oils have specific additives that are more suited for motorcycle engines. Based on an average of the three automotive oils we tested, the bike oils do in fact contain more of everything except calcium and boron. Note that the average moly content, which is often the friction modifier of choice, is higher in the motorcycle oils than the car oils mainly due to the three bike oils that use an extremely high moly content.

We did, however, unequivocally answer a few questions. For one, most name-brand motorcycle-specific oils are indeed different than common automotive oils, even within the same brand, debunking a common myth. Mobil One automotive oil is definitely different than its motorcycle-specific version. The same is true for the three oils provided by Castrol, showing that both companies have different goals when formulating their automotive and motorcycle products

I went back and reread that article and its still good as there is actual test data. I think that's how I decided to go with the MX4t M1 in my bikes. I think what would be interesting is if the Rotella oils were run on the same tests as an apples to apples comparison.

I went back and reread that article and its still good as there is actual test data. I think that's how I decided to go with the MX4t M1 in my bikes. I think what would be interesting is if the Rotella oils were run on the same tests as an apples to apples comparison.

I would use any car oil before I would rotella for the fact it's made for engines that do not generate a lot of heat and reach high rpms.

most bikes aren't begining to make any power at what a diesel red lines at.

I'm just a firm believer in using the proper equipment for the job. I don't use pliers to tighten fasteners and I don't buy cruiser tires for a track day.

likewise I don't use just anything on a shelf for a engine that generates 15k rpm and really high combustion chamber temps.

it just doesn't make any sense.

Edited by serpentracer