The Official "Best and Worst places to get service done" thread.

warhols_

and see which shop gives you the best feeling

Every shop will try to give and give you a good "feeling". The whole point of this thread is to share experiences with service department X so one can make an informed decision when needed.

I think that's the most frustrating thing about moto service or any other type of customer service for that matter-they will say anything to get your $$$ but in the end it's all about who can deliver on a promise.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every shop will try to give and give you a good "feeling". The whole point of this thread is to share experiences with service department X so one can make an informed decision when needed.

I think that's the most frustrating thing about moto service or any other type of customer service for that matter-they will say anything to get your $$$ but in the end it's all about who can deliver on a promise.

I understand your point, but if you walked into every shop around town and asked competent questions, there's no way you'd think they were all the same. You're going to come up with similar "feelings" when asking people opinions. Some will be good, some will be bad, most in the middle. You need to take all the info and make your own best informed decision.

About the only thing we can agree on in this thread is to never ever ever take your bike to Ask to get worked on :)

according to lazyk.blogspot.com ASK in grove city is the worst.

that dude is a bull shitter he just called there a week ago asking for his job back.......and me and mike-famous nobody- as that flake called him seen him at bike night 1 night he said he was mad at ask not mike and didnt mean anything about mike and said he was sorry he was going to get beat up with his dude that was with him

p.s ask in grove city does all my work and gets a A++++

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
What needs done? You cant do any of it yourself.

I bought it used and I don't think it has been professionally serviced beyond the initial 500 miles. Currently has 8000 miles. It is my first bike and I'm not even sure what needs checked/replaced.

What kind of bike do you have?

2006 Suzuki SV650

I suppose I do know what needs checked/replaced because I do have the manual, but I don't know how to do all of it. For instance it says replace engine coolant and brake fluid and inspect throttle valve sync. I suppose everything else, I could figure out with time and maybe some trial and error.

I think there are enough people on this forum that can talk you through those. Those are pretty easy to do. A lot of people here have a strong mechanical background, myself included. If you are uncomfortable doing any of them there's probably someone that would be willing to even help you. If you want to drive to the Dayton area I have a shop and can do the work as well.

Don't go to a shop just because you don't know, you can find the information to do it or find someone that can help you. Or as I said if you really are unsure find someone, other than a shop, that can do it with you.

Ok, that sounds like a plan. HNW wants $350 and that sounds like a lot for a regular service interval. I'll start by talking to the guy who put my new tires on for me. He seems to know a lot and charges reasonable rates. Thanks for the input.

Just a final comment on HNW. I worked there as a tech for 6 months and the techs they currently have there now are all good techs. You can expect good honest work from them. So despite the money, know that you will be getting excellent work done. Combined they've got over 50-60 years of experience working on motorcycles. Currently, since it's winter, there is only one working. Come spring time they'll have at least 3. Those 3 are the most experienced.

Bill is an EXCELLENT tech, he and I worked together at ASK in the 80's but when we left they replaced us with an MMI guy. His first day was my last, they brought him in 5.00 hr above me and his first problem was trying to figure out why the brake light was staying on on a Ninja. I finished loading my boxes while this dipshit tore the bike apart and scattered it all over the shop. My final wonton act was to pull the lens off and put the freakin bulb in right.

My end call is Bill B on Jap stuff, and of course myself on the Harleys...www.hh-maintenance.com

Brad at HNW is killer, great guy, hooked me up a few times thanks to Angrish :D

Best: My garage

Worst: My garage, the owner eats on the job, watches tv inbetween jobs, looks out the window a lot, and has tools and parts layin everywhere :)

Edited by exSRAaron

One of the best places I have dealt with is in Geneva, Ohio. Give North Ridge Yamaha Suzuki a try. They are a small dealer but rely on there service. There staff is very knowledgable. They will talk to you about every option available instead of the usual cookie cutter answer you get at most dealerships. State 8 is a great place to buy a bike but not have dealt with their service department. I am not at all impressed with Lake County Motorsports in Mentor. Lastly I have no complaints about an independant mechanic shop in Willoughby called Bad Omen.

If you just want to know a place to have it done, Mid-Ohio in Mount Vernon used to be pretty good. They have some decent service techs. Otherwise, no place in Columbus is referred to from what I ever hear. Especially street bikes.

+1

I can only speak for Mid-Ohio and another place that rhymes with finds, and blinds...

I will go back to Mid-Ohio for anything I need help with. Those guys know what their doing.

I will never go back to the other place for service, ever. Myself and 2 other friends had horrible service work done there. 1 friend had his carbs synced there and to this day has never run right...

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if its already been mentioned, but I've gone to Cycle Pro on East Broad several times, for everything from winterizing to valve adjustment. Solid owner/operator that knows his stuff and is cheaper than the other shops I scoped out. I even text him with problems and he walks me through how to fix it myself. Now thats service...

Just my .02