Hard lesson in the duality of man (Now w/ pix)

Fonzie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really sorry to hear your story UP, the Lord be with you and your family

Between the attempted vehicular homicide on 2 of your children and fleeing the scene, it would be very hard for me not to have God sit this one out.

Everyone, I appreciate your acknowledgements but this happened close to seventeen years ago, so I have come to terms with it. It took me about a decade though. I wanted to kill the little bastard at the time, thankfully by the time he was out of the hospital I had calmed down and was in Ohio far enough not to do anything stupid.

I posted this to reinforce Fonzies story about the depths others will go to in helping others out and to hope others will think about what they are doing before they drink and drive. I assume most people are wearing their seatbelts now since most know nothing other than wearing them their entire lives.

WOW, glad to hear everyone is safe and sound.

Still a lot of good people out there, especially when a situation becomes serious. People are willing to help.

again, glad to hear everyone came out of it well, and the perp was caught.

Geez man. I wondered why I didn't get my normal 1AM emails from you. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm really glad to hear everyone is okay. That's a shitty situation. I hope that guy gets a lot of jail time to sit and think about it.

Thanks for all the expressions of concern everybody.... Few of you had me mistin' up a bit ;)

And now the hassles begin :rolleyes:

Been on the phone with both insurance companies today. Apparently truck is titled in a woman's name, & she is claiming that our drunk stole it, so now the insurance company listed last night is holding off on paying anything, including a rental car, until she files a police report..... Or not. Apparently it can take several weeks to sort this out, & in the meantime, our insurance has to cover everything if we want repairs to begin, rental car, etc. Not even sure how all this plays out if it's totaled, as all we'd paid was interest on it so far, & still owe more than it's worth

Thanks for all the expressions of concern everybody.... Few of you had me mistin' up a bit ;)

And now the hassles begin :rolleyes:

Been on the phone with both insurance companies today. Apparently truck is titled in a woman's name, & she is claiming that our drunk stole it, so now the insurance company listed last night is holding off on paying anything, including a rental car, until she files a police report..... Or not. Apparently it can take several weeks to sort this out, & in the meantime, our insurance has to cover everything if we want repairs to begin, rental car, etc. Not even sure how all this plays out if it's totaled, as all we'd paid was interest on it so far, & still owe more than it's worth

I deal with this all the time at work and the complications are ridiculous. Whatever you do, DO NOT pay for a single thing out of pocket. If you must, go through your insurance company and then they are responsible for having to get their money back from the other company. Due to the situation most insurance companies may show some sympathy to get the truck back on the road and let their people handle the persuing of the money they are owed

If you have any questions or need assistance feel free to let me know and I will do the best to my knowledge to help you out in craziness that is insurance crap and hoops. In the last month I've dealt with 2 different crashes that were not our fault so I've got a decent handle on some of how it works

But insurance companies are like women, you never know how they will react, what the hell they are thinking or what illogical thing they will do next :D

Glad your family's ok. That will be the best part of the whole thing.

As you've already seen, the game will be played to remove the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle as well as the driver. He'll get out/off with little more than a slap on the wrist and no driver's license for a while. If he's a multiple offender they may take his license for life. Big deal, it does very little to keep him out of the driver's seat of his next girlfriend's, wife's, whatever's car.

To those of you that like to enjoy an adult beverage from time to time I hope you'll remember how many lives can be changed (if not ruined completely) by the stupid decision to drive (or ride) impaired.

Keep us posted on how the whole thing turns out.

If you must, go through your insurance company and then they are responsible for having to get their money back from the other company.

Thanx for the offer

Yeah.... That's what we're doing right now, including their ER visits last night, & the rental car we're getting

Just got off the phone with our ins co, & it sounds like they may be totaling it out. Getting ready to head out & get some pix hopefully. Also found out that the girlfriend has somehow gotten the truck out of impound, even though I swear FPD told me last night it would be there for 24 hours

Wow. So glad your family okay. Glad this asshole got caught.

About the rest; In general, most people want to do the right thing. Our society has actually made it easier and safer for the passerby to just ignore what goes on. If more people would step up and do the right thing like these folks, we would all be much better off.

Police just dropped off the accident info for us, & shared that this is the guy's FOURTH DUI/OVI!!

Got some pictures of his truck tonight.... Still waiting for the tow company to let us in their garage to get pix of our car. Ins co is leading me to believe it may be totaled

Edited by Fonzie

Sorry to read about this. I'm glad everyone is okay, though. Hopefully you, and he had a good insurance company. If it's his gf, I'm sure he had permission to be driving the truck, and I would think his gf, winner that she seems to be, would drop the "but I love him" card, and not send him to prison for stealing the truck, also. That would make it a little smoother of a situation for you.

Police just dropped off the accident info for us, & shared that this is the guy's FOURTH DUI/OVI!!

Got some pictures of his truck tonight.... Still waiting for the tow company to let us in their garage to get pix of our car. Ins co is leading me to believe it may be totaled

That's such bullshit it's his fourth. I don't understand why we allow so much leniency with driving under the influence. HOPEFULLY the legal system will make him pay severely, revoke is license for life and make everything right with you and your family. Stay up on this man, do whatever you can to make sure he doesn't get away with this atrocity.

Edited by Fonzie

Sorry to read about this. I'm glad everyone is okay, though. Hopefully you, and he had a good insurance company. If it's his gf, I'm sure he had permission to be driving the truck, and I would think his gf, winner that she seems to be, would drop the "but I love him" card, and not send him to prison for stealing the truck, also. That would make it a little smoother of a situation for you.

Ohhhh.... But wait.... It gets better yet. We went over to where the truck is & got some pix. His girlfriend, who claimed he stole the truck from her last night, must be a roofer, because truck is fitted with ladders & racks :rolleyes:

I talked with one of his/her/their neighbors, who filled me in that her boyfriend, coincidentally, is a roofer

Pictures to follow after I mow the yard

Edited by Fonzie

Ohhhh.... But wait.... It gets better yet. We went over to where the truck is & got some pix. His girlfriend, who claimed he stole the truck from her last night, must be a roofer, because truck is fitted with ladders & racks :rolleyes:

I talked with one of his/her/their neighbors, who filled me in that Michael Robbin's, coincidentally, is a roofer

Pictures to follow after I mow the yard

:lol:

and now you can start to hate people all over again!

:lol:

Ya know I find something interesting, not in this situation in particular, just in general. It seems that the courts have gotten tougher on the first time offenders, and not the repeat offenders. I know a couple people that have gotten first offenses recently, and they've had significantly stiffer penalties than I did when I got a DUI about 12 years ago.

We went through the whole insurance debacle almost 2 years ago. Not fun. The company that the guy worked for that hit the car wanted to total the car, and would not negotiate. We turned it over to my wife's insurance company (this was before we were married), they fixed it, then collected from the other company, including her deductible!

Good luck with getting this worked out!