Top end tapping, Rhonda needs surgery....

NeverEnough

Anyone going to be near Carrollton Ohio this weekend? My bike 900rr is making some tapping noises. I thought it was CCT, so I replaced the factory one with a manual one, and that didn't make the problem go away:(

Originally the noise JUST came from the right hand side (reason for the CCT "fix") and now I believe I am hearing it on the left hand side also.

The motor can rev up high into the rpms just fine but only if you really "roll" on the throttle, but any quick JABS at the throttle and I hear a nasty rap.

HELP!?

The bike has 9k miles on it, I bought it with 6k...... I've never done one.

Hmmm... shouldn't be an issue, but could be if the previous owner never took proper care of it. A chain is tougher than checking the valves. I'd check first and then see. However, if you need to replace shims, it is a bit of a hassle on that bike. Not tough, but time consuming...

Also when this problem came up, I checked the oil and it was more than half a quart low. So I'm thinking lack of lubrication as I was also beating the SH!T out of it on some backroads when this happend, and maybe I've got camshaft issues/cylinder head issues?

900RR + missing bodywork + tapping noise = too many wheelies.
Bodywork ...eh-hemm' date=' plastic wrapping is gone because I prefer the streetfighter look (not done with it yet). Bikes are just so much sexier naked.[/quote']

Didnt you buy it that way? The PO might have been a wheelie king. :dunno:

Gump lives in Carrollton, but I dont know how many bike motors he has had apart.

I have seen broken retainers cause that. Might want to pop off the valve cover and cams to take a look. If you drop a valve, you won't be a happy camper. If you just have to replace a couple shattered retainers you will be ok. My 10 had 2 of them broken and was doing exactly what you are saying.

Ok, so screw this.... My dad took the bike to I think it was Andrews Cycle. They called me and the service guy said he'd get a estimate for me...3days later no estimate he "didn't have a chance to look up the price of pats". He then later REFERRED me to another shop "Cycle Therapy" and he also said that I would probably be better off buying a new motor.

FAWK ALL THAT! I am pretty sure a new motor is going to cost me in $1,000something range. I blew atv/dirtbike motors and it was ALWAYS cheaper to rebuild those things... And right now the motor that is in my bike starts FINE and runs at idle fine, it just makes a horrid noise when abrupt on the throttle. Hell I drove the bike home 10some miles the way it is as long as I was under 4k rpm it was fine.

Anyone suggest who else I could take this bike to?

I am now getting tempted into tearing into it and doing it myself, I JUST DONT HAVE THE TIME TOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo ARGHHH!!!11!!one!!

I NEED a motorcycle, the weather is beautiful out!

2project motorcycles and no rideable motorcycle SUCKS!

900RR + missing bodywork + tapping noise = too many wheelies.

Uhm, this ^^^ ! I had a 98 900rr, I did said wheelies, it made said noise.

The 900rr was notorious for that if you didn't overfill the oil before copious amounts of freeway wheelies, which they excel at.