Apple keynote today, announcing iPhone 4G

Casper

Primarily free Android Market vs Apple pay for everything, no skype amongst other things. Opinions of course and everyone's will be different.

and i'll actually completely agree with those, I'm just saying 'tech-wise' i still think the iphone 4 has an edge over the EVO.

The supporting market and application framework is another thing entirely - and don't think for a second that my plan hasn't always been to keep a weather eye on the developing maturity of the Android platform as a whole, and pounce once I think it's gotten to the point where it's taken over Apple as the techno-niche weapon of choice. They have the potential, but that kind of thing takes time.

I just like where Apple sits for now, so I contently play in that pool until construction across the street has finished...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have skype on my iphone right now, whats this no skype talk?

battery life estimates by apple are very close to accurate, the iphone battery estimate and macbook pro battery estimate are pretty spot on to the advertised life.

jailbreak = get everything for free, its already on its way for 4.0

@jarvis

evo > iphone 4

why? apple's proprietary kernel, evo (droid) can be overclocked (and underclocked to preserve battery life) at will probably to 1.5 or higher stable. iphone: no overclock

iphone was the shiznit when it came out, but it's been bested over and over and over.

magz,

we can't get into a real debate over why a chip is better simply because they might be able to overclock it later. The point is, the A4 is better than the snapdragon right now. I can't possibly type out the explanations of why having your main system operating memory flip-chip wire-bonded to the silicon of your main CPU is incredibly awesome for high-speed memory stability, but i assure you it is. Just because they will probably overclock the snapdragon doesn't give it any clout right now. Plus who says they won't over drive the system clock in the A4 later. It's just as easy as it sounds, and with the memory bus directly attached to the silicon substrate of the CPU, I'd give more credence to that system than the snapdragon anyway.

Also, to say the iphone was great when it came out, but it's been bested seems like a silly argument. Are you comparing the original iphone to the new EVO? If you are, then hells yea it sucks. But if not, then the new iphone is nothing like the old one. As everyone else has gotten better, so has the iphone, so I don't completely follow that argument. I fully admit, maybe I misunderstand what you mean, so my bad if so, but I think if we're comparing the new iphone to the EVO, it's a better overall device.

hollywood - i'm preordered as well. Here's to fighting the crowds at 7am next thursday morning...

What's the plan with existing I phone users. Wondering if Incan get the new phone for the price new users and upgrades are paying

Dial #NEW from your iphone or check online. It will send you a text message that tells you of your eligibility. It takes a couple different things into account. Technically my upgrade date isn't until 01312011 but I can buy the new iphone for the same price as new customers.

magz,

we can't get into a real debate over why a chip is better simply because they might be able to overclock it later. The point is, the A4 is better than the snapdragon right now. I can't possibly type out the explanations of why having your main system operating memory flip-chip wire-bonded to the silicon of your main CPU is incredibly awesome for high-speed memory stability, but i assure you it is. Just because they will probably overclock the snapdragon doesn't give it any clout right now. Plus who says they won't over drive the system clock in the A4 later. It's just as easy as it sounds, and with the memory bus directly attached to the silicon substrate of the CPU, I'd give more credence to that system than the snapdragon anyway.

Also, to say the iphone was great when it came out, but it's been bested seems like a silly argument. Are you comparing the original iphone to the new EVO? If you are, then hells yea it sucks. But if not, then the new iphone is nothing like the old one. As everyone else has gotten better, so has the iphone, so I don't completely follow that argument. I fully admit, maybe I misunderstand what you mean, so my bad if so, but I think if we're comparing the new iphone to the EVO, it's a better overall device.

hollywood - i'm preordered as well. Here's to fighting the crowds at 7am next thursday morning...

Droid X that is all. It has the OMAP3630 processor and hopefully this will be my next phone come July or August.

The original iPhone sucked and it still does. About the only thing it had/has going for it is the incredible touch screen. That I'm certainly jealous of that but not jealous enough to buy one especially with the pseudo-multi tasking BS. Not too mention it means supporting Steve Jobs shitty censorship policies.

Droid X that is all. It has the OMAP3630 processor blah blah blah

the only thing that processor has going for it is the PowerVR graphics rendering. The core is actually ARM-cortex based (same as A4), but it's actually significantly slower than the A4 - 1GHz > 720MHz. Unless they over clocked the core to 1GHz, but even then, they're stretching to even match the core speed.

Plus I have to point out the same memory-based improvement the A4 has over this thing that I said in my previous post.

Droid X out.