Anybody know what gun this is????

Casper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1937-1946 era

Toward the end of production, materials were in short supply.

I don't think it would have been unusual to find a short barrel, or a short stock, etc.

some of the last models were probably dangerous to fire in the first place.

Cool!! Lets shoot it!!

Looks like an Arisaka model 99 that has been sporterized by removing the front sight and shortening the forend of the stock. What I am going by is the safety knob on the rear of the bolt, the 99's have the same dimple in the edge of the knob as yours and the model 38's have an ear that sticks out of the knob like a small lever. The model 99's are 7.7x58 caliber and the model 38's are 6.5x50 caliber. JMO

Looks like an Arisaka model 99 that has been sporterized by removing the front sight and shortening the forend of the stock. What I am going by is the safety knob on the rear of the bolt, the 99's have the same dimple in the edge of the knob as yours and the model 38's have an ear that sticks out of the knob like a small lever. The model 99's are 7.7x58 caliber and the model 38's are 6.5x50 caliber. JMO

If a 7.62x39 wont fit in the chamber, Im pretty sure the 7.7x58 wont fit. :)

Of course thats assuming the 7.7 has the same or larger case diameter.

It's an Arisaka Type 38 training rifle. The stock has been cut down and the bolt has been heated and bent. The trainers had a hardwood stock, no chrysanthemum or Type 38 marking on the top of the receiver and usually did not have any rifling in the barrel. Real type 38 battle rifles had a two piece butt stock that you usually see on Arisaka rifles and had a chrysanthemum and Japanese characters that translate to "38 Type" on the top of the receiver. These rifles were chambered to fire the 6.5X50 Jap round.

T38 trainer receiver:

is.php?i=298552

Type 38 receiver:

pix987455031.jpg

Trainer stock:

is.php?i=298565

Type 38 two piece stock:

pix663549115.jpg

Unlike the actual Type 38 battle rifle that had the strongest receiver of any bolt action rifle made during the time, the Type 38 training rifle is extremely dangerous to shoot live ammo through. These were designed to be dry fired or to shoot blank ammo. Shoot a live round of 6.5X50 through it and the guys at the morgue will have a hell of a time trying to make you look good enough for an open casket ceremony. the receiver (which is made of cast iron) could explode or the bolt could recoil back into the shooter's face.

Why someone would have "sporterized" a trainer is beyond me. Better a $100.00 training rifle than a $2500.00 paratrooper rifle though.