Landing gear install!! I need well equipped garage and helping hands!!

Bkizz

All right, this is GOING TO HAPPEN! I officially have almost all the parts to my landing gear kit. All I am waiting for now is the actual kick stand itself which will be shipped out today. I have the shifter, actuator and all aluminum hardware to make the kit work.

My goal is to have the bike DONE for my benefit on June 19th!!

Todd (1000rrrider) is going to give me a hand with transporting the bike to get this stuff installed. We talked about doing it out at his place but I wanted to see if there was anyone local who would be willing to help with this project in their garage.

The kit is actually pretty simple to install but there will be some fab work required since it is not built bike-specific. I need access to a drill press and someone who can tig weld aluminum. I will also need to cut and re-weld an exhaust hanger to mount the shifter where I want it.

It would be cool to get this stuff powdercoated once it is done so it is not bare metal...but I may just have it painted. Anyone know someone who could handle this?

Paul from paintworks has my plastics right now. I have not taked to him in a couple weeks but I really hope I can have them back late next week.

Please let me know if you are willing to help! I really want to see this come together by the 19th. I will not be doing the 150 mile ride but how cool would it be for you guys to see my first ride at the benefit?! That would be bad ass!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the drill press won't really be all that necessary. After looking things over, there won't be many holes to make anyway. A regular drill will do the job. A saws-all or cut off wheel would be helpful.

Edited by Bkizz

We don't have the welder or a saws-all (we use a lot of duct tape and a dremel around here), otherwise I'd offer to come pick it up myself. However, we can be available to help, and I have a truck + ramps if you need help getting it transported.

Dont need oxy when you have plasma.

And my offer still stands to do it at my place Brian. I've got everything needed as well.

If the bike comes out to your place I will come out providing I do not have any appointments that day.

I have a Tig, Mig, Arc, and Plasma.

BAD ASS!! Brian, is there anyway it can be done at your shop?? The bike is not rideable right now so I still have to figure out how to get it over there.

As far as tools are concerned, it won't take much. The kit is very simple to put together. There is a plate that gets bolted under the seat that will need to have some holes drilled in it. Basically, the kit itself is made to be bolted on but I may want to have the actuator bracket welded for strength. You will have to see it to know what I am talking about. The designer of the kit is also sending me a how-to video.

We will need to cut and re-weld an unused exhaust hanger to mount the electric shifter. The actuator is controlled by a switch on the right control just above the starter button. That will need to be wired up and soldered...I already have the switch mounted in the handle bar controls. The last thing would be to find some flat metal plating to weld to the foot pegs. You can see in this video how he has his set up with grip tape on top. I bet a band saw could be useful for that but we could get away with using something else. A vice is also a must but I assume you have that covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwB7I92BXCM

PS: My kit is basically exactly like his but mine is a little more refined.

And my offer still stands to do it at my place Brian. I've got everything needed as well.

Thanks Todd, you're the man! I'm thinking if Brian can do it at his shop, that would be nice b/c it's closer. I would like to have the bike in town if at all possible. I may still need a hand moving it though.

Edited by Bkizz