Landing gear install!! I need well equipped garage and helping hands!!

Bkizz

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about Brian's shop but I can get this whole job done at my shop. I have material for spacers and a complete machine shop at my disposal. The only thing I would need to work out is getting my welder in to do the welding because that is a skill that eludes me. (Won't be a problem getting him in.) I am very far away in Grafton but am certain I could get this done and done well for you. With the right kind of machining magic welding might not be required. I have stands for the bike and could even contact the local powder coater to see how fast he can turn around a job for me.

Brian,

I am pretty sure I will have most of what you are looking for. As far as welding goes I have a good friend who does a killer job welding. I can see about getting him to come over to handle the welding. I just need to give him plenty of notice. I figure if I dyno his car from him he will be up for some welding. What days are you thinking? I think you mentioned you want to have this done by the 19th. Just let me know so I can plan as needed. Even if I have a full schedule people are still welcome to come over and use the shop. All that I ask is to help me make look the way it was before we started.

BAD ASS!! Brian, is there anyway it can be done at your shop?? The bike is not rideable right now so I still have to figure out how to get it over there.

As far as tools are concerned, it won't take much. The kit is very simple to put together. There is a plate that gets bolted under the seat that will need to have some holes drilled in it. Basically, the kit itself is made to be bolted on but I may want to have the actuator bracket welded for strength. You will have to see it to know what I am talking about. The designer of the kit is also sending me a how-to video.

We will need to cut and re-weld an unused exhaust hanger to mount the electric shifter. The actuator is controlled by a switch on the right control just above the starter button. That will need to be wired up and soldered...I already have the switch mounted in the handle bar controls. The last thing would be to find some flat metal plating to weld to the foot pegs. You can see in this video how he has his set up with grip tape on top. I bet a band saw could be useful for that but we could get away with using something else. A vice is also a must but I assume you have that covered.

PS: My kit is basically exactly like his but mine is a little more refined.

Thanks Todd, you're the man! I'm thinking if Brian can do it at his shop, that would be nice b/c it's closer. I would like to have the bike in town if at all possible. I may still need a hand moving it though.

I could talk to the owner of the shop where I work. We have most of what would be needed including TIG welder, although someone else would probably want to do the aluminum welding, as I am WAY out of practice on that! We're talking about Johnstown, and I would have to do some asking first. We also have a machine shop just down the road that I could probably got to do something if needed.

Brian,

I have an enclosed trailer and pickup truck so just say the word and I can come down with it to help you move the bike.

Thanks! Are you busy on Saturday??

Brian,

I am pretty sure I will have most of what you are looking for. As far as welding goes I have a good friend who does a killer job welding. I can see about getting him to come over to handle the welding. I just need to give him plenty of notice. I figure if I dyno his car from him he will be up for some welding. What days are you thinking? I think you mentioned you want to have this done by the 19th. Just let me know so I can plan as needed. Even if I have a full schedule people are still welcome to come over and use the shop. All that I ask is to help me make look the way it was before we started.

Thanks again Brian. As I said above, I am hoping to have the bike in the shop this weekend if that works for you. In the event that I get the kickstand later than Saturday, we can still start on the shifter and get that squared away.

I am still looking into getting the leg strap material figured out. I want to get something that is slightly padded and then I can sew a piece of velcro for it to attach with. Any ideas?

^ ok not to sound like a dick...lol just curious though why youre looking for a padded material for the leg strap? can you still feel stuff on your legs (serious question...not sure how it works not being able to move them)?

and perhaps you can have an old bookbag laying around? the shoulder straps on them are padded and if you cut them off you could make them into leg straps fairly easily, the padding will be long enough to cover your legs completely...something simple and cheap

Because he cant feel them. Wont know when rough stuff is causing abrasion.

Yep, you nailed it. If I can't feel pain then I am hurting myself and don't know it.

and perhaps you can have an old bookbag laying around? the shoulder straps on them are padded and if you cut them off you could make them into leg straps fairly easily, the padding will be long enough to cover your legs completely...something simple and cheap

That is actually a great idea! I still have the bookbag I was wearing in the accident that they cut off me. The padded straps would work great.

You might want to look into some breakaway buckles rather than velcro similar to what they use on neck lanyards but bigger http://www.lanyardsupply.com/lanyards/hardware/safety/swingable-safety-breakaway-buckle-lycc507-sw.htm

Thanks! I really like this idea and it seems safer than velcro that may hold too much.

I have my first tuning appointment at noon on saturday. I can get there as early as 10am. I also have a couple appointments in the evening.

So to answer your question Brian I can be at the shop as early as 10am on saturday.

Brian, I talked to John Mathis and he said he can help me trailor the bike over on Saturday. The only catch is we would have to shoot for being there around 9:00 or a little after because he is hosting the Tech day out in Pickerington at 10am. I have no problem sitting in your parking lot for an hour if that's cool with you. Maybe that will give me time to grab some breakfast before the fun begins.

That leads me to this question...who wants to give us a hand on Saturday morning? We will be messing with the shifter first...I may not have the landing gear kickstand untill later in the day. I also need to get the wiring for the landing gear sorted out and soldered up. I need to get ahold of Lee and figure out if he was able to ship it out yesterday.

I'm getting more and more excited as this gets closer! :D

Bkizz, this is awesome to hear about... I may meet up with you there Saturday morning (depending on how my Friday night goes :D ) I'll help out with what I can, I'm pretty good with electronics, but otherwise it'd be cool to watch. maybe bring some beers and chill out?

If need be I can get the doors open at 9am sat. Welder says he is willing to come out.

What I need to stress Brian is that I know that I will be busy saturday with the dynos. I am every saturday. I am more then willing to give a hand in between appointments. So it is important that people are willing to come over and give a hand. If it is just you and me I am afraid we will not get much done. I have been wanting to do something for awhile now for you and offering shop space is what I can do. I will call you here in a few.

So what exactly needs to be done on sat? Can we get a breakdown of what needs to be installed? Electronics? Welding? etc..

i wanna help out, but not sure how much i'd be able to contribute. I mean i can turn a wrench and am ok with electronics...but beyond that i wouldn't be able to fabricate or weld anything...

Not to sound like a dick or anything really I mean well.... But its been my experience that when a bunch of people get envolved that are offering nothing but moral support it really gets in the way of progress. I understand everyone wants to help and support a good cause but what 2 or 3 experienced guys could knock out in 3 hrs becomes 10hrs when 8 or 10 others show up just to watch or pretend to help.

That and Brian will also be open and trying to run a business as well so having 15 people there to do a 2 man job would also interfer with his business.

Just my 2 pennies carry on, hopefully that doesnt get anyones panties in a bunch as I'm pretty sure all understand what I'm saying.

^+1

no i agree...i want to help, but i also don't want to get in the way so if we had an idea of what jobs needed to be done on sat it would make figuring out who would be doing what and how many ppl would be needed easier.