Looking for car input from the collective braintrust

Fonzie

honda pilot hands down. Talked my Aunt in to one coming from a Nissan Murano and she hasn't been happier. The Murano was nice but too many nickle and dime issues, the Pilot has been solid and shes not exactly easy on cars, she is a woman afterall

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CRV Honda has been the one car (iv had many) that has held up to everything. ie.. me beating it to shit. I love my Honda and the gas mileage doesn't hurt either.. IMO

don't go with the Mercedes, a friend of mine just bought an E class and a week later its already having MAJOR issues.

F*(k it Fonz, get a corvette.

Good idea.... Where'd the link to that totaled Z01 with some flaws go?

Myself I buy used Hondas - generally grab 'em at around 100k miles and run 'em to 200k miles. Very reliable cars.

Good luck

Thanx. Basically what I'm trying to get her to buy into. Found an '04 Pilot w/ 90k for $13.5 I'm trying to get her to look at

Edited by Fonzie

Beyond that, what's wrong with another pacifica? I've always kinda liked the look of them, and it seems it did a great job protecting your family, you get Mercedes derived engineering, and Chrysler maintenance costs and resale value, which makes finding a used one in your budget an easy endeavor.

I've been thinking that exact thing a LOT! Thankfully he just missed the front bumper for a head on, but you can see in the pix that the pillar/hinge area of the driver door took the major impact. Not sure if it was the engineering, or luck that the main impact wasn't another foot or so back. Maybe both

Rocket - I'm suprised you didn't try to push my Prez to by your over-priced, beat to shit Lexus.

:glws::D

:lol: I was thinkin' the same thing

BMW 325xi? Great AWD, comfy, entry-level luxury.

Gotta do your own maintenance to stay cheap. But other than that parts can be had easily and it's a pretty bulletproof inline 6.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=280931159&dealer_id=71739&car_year=2003&rdm=1276188642554&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=__QVdE__&engine=&keywordsrep=065087068&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=BMW&color=&keywords_display=AWD&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&position=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=mileageASC&address=45409&advanced=y&end_year=2011&transmission=&doors=&max_price=15500&cardist=225&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=280881446&dealer_id=65357781&car_year=2003&rdm=1276188642554&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&keywordsfyc=__QVdE__&engine=&keywordsrep=065087068&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=BMW&color=&keywords_display=AWD&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&position=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=mileageASC&address=45409&advanced=y&end_year=2011&transmission=&doors=&max_price=15500&cardist=198&standard=false

I distinctly recall getting handed a Nitro for one of my many rental cars and hating the shit out of it. I really can't speak for the Honda/Mercedes route, but I don't think you'll be happy in that underpowered piece of crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to test drive this little tiger tonight :D

Blindfold me, & I'd of never known that motor had 100k miles on it!

http://www.genestevensauto.com/usedinventory/19UUA56802A027111

This one too. Not as impressive as the tsi obviously, but definitely didn't feel like no 4 banger....

http://www.genestevensauto.com/usedinventory/JH4CL96936C030808

Edited by Fonzie

Got to test drive this little tiger tonight :D

Blindfold me, & I'd of never known that motor had 100k miles on it!

http://www.genestevensauto.com/usedinventory/19UUA56802A027111

This one too. Not as impressive as the tsi obviously, but definitely didn't feel like no 4 banger....

http://www.genestevensauto.com/usedinventory/JH4CL96936C030808

choice #1. Even though Honda's hold their value very well I'd try to work a deal for 10k out the door

The wife and I just bought a 03 Honda Pilot. It is super smooth to drive. We got the EX package (fully loaded) and paid 9800 for it. It had some miles 114K but it's a Honda. She loves it.

Did yours have a lot of stone chips on the hood. We're noticing that a lot of them we've looked at have a TON of stone chips on that front edge/45 degree section

Anybody know anything about the Sebring convertibles??

Seems like a well appointed, newer model can be had for around $12-15k

In fact, we found an '08 with cloth, 4 banger w/ only 29,000 miles for $12,9

Also found an '06 w/ leather & 6 cyl (not sure which one), also 30k miles for about the same price

Edited by Fonzie

Anybody know anything about the Seabring convertibles??

Seems like a well appointed, newer model can be had for around $12-15k

In fact, we found an '08 with cloth, 4 banger w/ only 29,000 miles for $12,9

Also found an '06 w/ leather & 6 cyl (not sure which one), also 30k miles for about the same price

I'm not positive if the newer generation have the same issues as the older ones but one of my good friends had one and every week she was calling me to fix something on it. Since it's a Dodge product, I don't trust those transmissions worth anything

So y'all know about my family getting hit by a drunk driver 3 weeks ago. Insurance company of the other party finally accepted responsibility last week. They want to total.... Ours wants to fix. No real clear choice for us, so we've been looking at replacement vehicles in case we decide to go that route.

Know we've got some mechanics on here. Also looking for input from anybody that may have owned anything I throw in here as a buying possibility for us, as I value most of you guys' opinions ;)

Wife drives a lot for work.... She's put about 50k miles on in last 2 years, & the Pacifica was hers. Looking primarily in the $10-15K range, as she may end up with negative equity if they keep lowballin' her offers. Also, mostly at '04-06's. Probably only have week or two left w/ rental, if that, so we need to get the ball rollin'....

Honda Pilot.... Decent mileage, seats 8, but hard finding low mile one in our price

Honda CRV.... Seats less, but still a little roomy, & still a Honda to drive the snot out of

2000 Mercedes S class 430v w/ 110k miles.... Ordinarily wouldn't be crazy about taking a loan on a 10 y/o car with that many miles.... But looks in pristine shape, & after all.... It's a Mercedes. Should be able to drive the snot out of it as well, without worrying about miles, right??

'08 Dodge Nitro.... Seems like it gets solid mileage, sharp, 4wd, ~45k miles

Experiences/firsthand feedback? :dunno:

i work at a car dealership and unfortunately , we do not go over 10,000 $ range on cars we sell.however , on the mercedes s430, id say don't do it.for a couple thousands more , you can get a newer model and less miles.

i had a 2003 mercedes cl500 for about 5 years.it is the coupe of the s class and they have the same engine. as a matter of fact most mercedes of the same generation use the same engines ( ie .the engine in the cl500 is the same in the e500, s500...etc) .i have nothing but the best to say about them. i had virtually no problem and maintenance is the same as any other car. the expensive part about benz is the mercedes dealership.but if you know a good mechanic , then you are probably set. the only thing that s really hard to figure out on mercedes is some weird sensors and the worst is the abc system ( suspension ) on some of them. if you like it, go with an 03 and up . as far as maintenance goes, most of it is the same services(mostly ) repeating themselves. anyways i recommend it, good car, lasts ,reliable and very very comfy :)

Two words Fonz, Toyota 4Runner. Reliable as hell and nice.

An 04-05 can be had in your price range.

Yeah.... I've thought the same thing Shawn, & I've always thought they were sharp

2 things that concern me though.... I'd have to look more into their gas mileage. I suppose it wouldn't be any worse that the Pilots, but for some reason, I always consider the 4Runner more of a 4x4

Other is the whole runaway car/accelerator issues Toyota's having lately. Mostly because my son will be driving this some, & him being a new driver, wouldn't be as experienced should something happen. I haven't looked into the specific models/years affected lately, but then again, they still don't even know what is causing it, so not sure I'd even trust a "comprehensive" list at this point, 'til they can definitively say they KNOW what the cause is

Yeah.... I've thought the same thing Shawn, & I've always thought they were sharp

2 things that concern me though.... I'd have to look more into their gas mileage. I suppose it wouldn't be any worse that the Pilots, but for some reason, I always consider the 4Runner more of a 4x4

Other is the whole runaway car/accelerator issues Toyota's having lately. Mostly because my son will be driving this some, & him being a new driver, wouldn't be as experienced should something happen

It is a real 4x4. It has a frame and everything making it safer and longer lasting. The gas mileage is between 20-24 MPG on our 02. The acceleration thing is overblown media nonsense. I wouldnt put my wife in an unsafe car, and I would rather take a header in a 4Runner than a Pilot anyday.

I am a Chevy guy, but on a recent work trip, I had a 2010 Subabru Legacy as a rental. I really liked the Legacy. This one was loaded with options (leather interior, sunroof, auto climate control ) i would not select if i was purchasing . It only had the 2.5 liter motor, but I traveled from Crawfordsville, In to Cleveland Ohio on about 3/4 of a tank of gas, with the AC running the whole time. And it is an all wheel drive.

Did yours have a lot of stone chips on the hood. We're noticing that a lot of them we've looked at have a TON of stone chips on that front edge/45 degree section

I can't say that it has a ton of chips. It actually pretty clean. It does have some chips, but nothing more than any other car that I've had.

picture.php?albumid=591&pictureid=11558&thumb=1

picture.php?albumid=591&pictureid=11557&thumb=1

It is amazingly clean really for the year and mileage. Yes, we did get it from KDK, but we had no problems with anyone there.