Kinda browsing for a new IT gig...

tachman

Just like the title says, I feel a bit stagnant at my current IT job.

I've got 3 years experience, am 22, and will have an associates degree in Network Communication technology in the fall.

Looking for entry level networking stuff, or even a run-around fix-it computer guy.

Anyone know of anyplace looking for anyone?

Consulting firms are usually taking people. Not sure what all there is in NEO, but places like ICC in Columbus will bring in lower level people on occasion, as long as you can prove you aren't a complete muppet. I've been half-assed looking for a senior-level Cisco Voice position as well, but haven't been finding much that I would be comfortable in.

Make sure you have a job already lined up before you jump.

That's what I've always done, i've been unemployed before, it sucks.

Not sure if I have much trust for staffing firms, althought it seems they always hire people, high turnover rate, im a bit apprehensive about that.

That's what I've always done, i've been unemployed before, it sucks.

Not sure if I have much trust for staffing firms, althought it seems they always hire people, high turnover rate, im a bit apprehensive about that.

There's a difference, and since you're a little new to the game you need to know what that is. Staff augmentation firms, or "staff augs", "body shops", or just plain "IT temp agencies" specialize in putting an ass in a seat until your project is done. Doesn't matter if your project is a technology refresh that's only going to last a week or implementation of a new ERP system that's going to take the rest of the year. Find a person who's got a pulse and said they put together their own PC back in 1998, and get them a seat. True consulting firms or "managed services" firms deal with companies that want to outsource branches of IT to an outside source. For instance, if they want some guy to sit down and do Tier 2 desktop support all day every day, while routing their helpdesk line to someone else who lives at the outsource firm that does Tier 1 phone support all day every day. Those are the jobs I'm talking about. Chances are once you are assigned to a certain client, to that client you stay as you become more and more familiar with their environment and they get used to having you around. Fast forward a few months/year, and chances are you get hired on there full time.

I would take tier 2 desktop support currently.

Might just take a look into those staffing companies.

I work for Keybank in their service desk, only been her 9 months and I'm kinda bored with it.....

Edited by tachman

• 2 weeks later...