Deals Gap May 15th

vw151

I was up at Deals gap with some friends about a month ago. I finally got around to uploading some photos and videos.

Enjoy.....

Here we are on US129 before the gap.... those of you here were there remember my severe luggage failure. I cut the video

before that. :( I guess I was going a little fast for the bungees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBbw-3QvxXM

The next 3 are some videos into the gap (tail of the dragon) and back out. In other words North, North, then South but I didn't finish the

South videos all the way back to the deals gap resort cause rain starts towards the end and it's pretty boring slow riding.

I really enjoy the duc because I don't have to shift for the most part. I think I sort of exadurated this a little though by staying in 2nd for almost the whole thing. But hey, it's not a race track That road is really fun.

Look for a nice whoolie at the beginning of part 3 and I think a few of the Coshocton guys having an off track experience a few minutes in. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq4c9vP3nqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvY3Gxx-t8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccoa0_XNxcc

OK, now for the pictures. I'll put some explanations through out.

pat's awesome bus. We rode down in this thing. Total luxury ride. Played PS3 most of the way down while laying on a couch

IMG_0337.jpg

here is a scenic air hump session. I dunno.

IMG_8421.jpg

IMG_8420.jpg

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8422.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

Shortly after that we rolled up on the Coshocton guys. Apparently a guy on a Kawi Concourse went left of center spooked Seth on his CBR who was hauling ass and he locked the front wheel and they collided. Anyway, Cops came and Seth was hauled off in an ambulance. This was on the cherohala skyway on the way down to US129.

You can see Seth's skidmark from his front wheel on this one. Leading up to the big wet spot from all of the coolant and oil that was dumped from the bike's that colided. I hate to see this.

IMG_8431.jpg

Damaged Kawi just to the left of the picture above.

IMG_8430.jpg

One of Seth's Forks and some random exploded CBR debris.

IMG_8429.jpg

Seth is way over there I'm standing in front of the coolant on this one. Apparently he went airborne to the grass and then tumbled all the way to that wall. He's lucky to be alive.

IMG_8428.jpg

Back up a little and you can see where it looks like Seth's knee's hit the grass. Ouch!!!

IMG_8427.jpg

IMG_8426.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

super totaled

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8424.jpg

He's OK!!!

IMG_8434.jpg

So, funny thing. The turn Seth crashed on was a pull off spot, that some fund raising group had set up at to sell North Carolina Style BBQ. Well that worked out well cause fat boy needs to eat.

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Did someone invite Keanu Reeves?

IMG_0083.jpg

So on the way to the Gap I had a bit of a luggage problem. My camera bag got stuck in my rear wheel. Yes I ruined a 35mm F2.0 lens and a lost some other small stuff. What a pain in the ass. Anyway, I donated the destroyed Camera bag to the tree of shame and Pat and John helped me Duc tape the rest of my stuff to my bike. :(

So here I am at the tree of shame with my destroyed Camera Bag

IMG_0339.jpg

Here I am on the gap with my improvised duct tape luggage. :)

us129photo.jpg

Yep, Seth may not have made it to the Gap, but his windshield did.

IMG_0338.jpg

So on the way home we got rained on. A lot.

GOPR0104.jpg

GOPR0154.jpg

By the time we were about 45 minutes from where we were staying Pat's R1

decided the battery was done. We all stood around and watched for awhile while him and John tried to fix it.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Eventually, we realized we were unable to fix the problem. So we decided we'd head back. The coshocton guys decided to leave while I was still putting my helmet on which was more or less the way they rode all day. Not like I had any idea where I was going but why bother waiting on the whole group, it's a race right? but I still made it back in the pooring rain after John caught up to me.

We left Pat at the gas station for about 2.5 hours while we went and got the bus to come pick him up. He proceeded to buy an underage kid some booze and drink with him for awhile until we got there. Apparently the area was dry but still sold Beer and supplied cups for said beer but said to hide it. I love the country.

I'll tell you what. There was a lot of mishap. I had never met the coshocton people in my life and I really hate to see two bikes get in an accident together but I had a hell of a lot of fun riding down there even in spite of damaging some of my gear and getting rained on a hell of a lot.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures and videos.

Edited by vw151

Glad to hear Seth is home. How did he get transported back to Ohio?

I was there that weekend but the road block and rain kept us separated most of the time.

I never shifted out of first gear the whole time north of the store and back you must be flying going all the way to second gear.

The guy riding the KTM690 pissed me off. (Not really.) He followed me from the overlook to the store right on my ass, what pissed me off was when we got home and I saw the pictures on Killboy it looked like he could have been drinking a cup of coffee behind me, like it was a walk in the park. I need me a supermoto or to learn how to ride faster.

The tree of shame has zip ties on it from the baby's pack. The baby seems to leave zip ties all over the country.

Glad to hear Seth is home. How did he get transported back to Ohio?

I was there that weekend but the road block and rain kept us separated most of the time.

I never shifted out of first gear the whole time north of the store and back you must be flying going all the way to second gear.

The guy riding the KTM690 pissed me off. (Not really.) He followed me from the overlook to the store right on my ass, what pissed me off was when we got home and I saw the pictures on Killboy it looked like he could have been drinking a cup of coffee behind me, like it was a walk in the park. I need me a supermoto or to learn how to ride faster.

The tree of shame has zip ties on it from the baby's pack. The baby seems to leave zip ties all over the country.

What were you riding. I don't remember seeing the 690 up anyone's ass, at least not for long. I was generally behind him.

2008 CBR1000RR with the baby on the back. He really didn't piss me off it was fun having someone to ride with down there even if it was only one pass from the lookout to the store. In the pictures he is just sitting up riding like it's no big deal while I'm leaned over trying to get the baby to touch the road. I might have been holding him up but the 1K was able to beat him to the next curve so he didn't get many chances to pass and I'm not nice enough to let him by.

2008 CBR1000RR with the baby on the back. He really didn't piss me off it was fun having someone to ride with down there even if it was only one pass from the lookout to the store. In the pictures he is just sitting up riding like it's no big deal while I'm leaned over trying to get the baby to touch the road. I might have been holding him up but the 1K was able to beat him to the next curve so he didn't get many chances to pass and I'm not nice enough to let him by.

Yah I enjoyed riding behind him cause he'd run good corner speed but since his bike was only 58hp it would limit the straight line speed so in many cases I could just stay in 1 gear. I'm not really into going 120+ down all the straights on the street so it worked out to a perfect pace. I'd really like to get a light weight single cylinder supermoto bike. They look fun as hell. Although the ducati is really fun too, lug it down to 3k rpm, rev it up to 8k, lug it at 3k again. It doesn't care.

Looks like a blast. Pat showed me his land cruiser last time I stopped his way- even mentioned that Gap trip. Too bad I'm never able to get the time.:(

Might have to Sport tour it out that way for a small get away when I have two days off in a row. The Dragon all cleared then?

Looks like a blast. Pat showed me his land cruiser last time I stopped his way- even mentioned that Gap trip. Too bad I'm never able to get the time.:(

Might have to Sport tour it out that way for a small get away when I have two days off in a row. The Dragon all cleared then?

No, I'd recommend finding a place to stay to the south of the Dragon. If you stay just to the north of it as we did you have to ride all the way around to get to it. It's open but the rock slide up on the North side is still being cleaned up. Actually I believe they are working on making the rock wall safe to drive near. Either way it's just past the Tail of the dragon but right before US129 intersects the foothills parkway. So anyway, plan accordingly.

Yah I enjoyed riding behind him cause he'd run good corner speed but since his bike was only 58hp it would limit the straight line speed so in many cases I could just stay in 1 gear. I'm not really into going 120+ down all the straights on the street so it worked out to a perfect pace. I'd really like to get a light weight single cylinder supermoto bike. They look fun as hell. Although the ducati is really fun too, lug it down to 3k rpm, rev it up to 8k, lug it at 3k again. It doesn't care.

I make the gap real simple for me, front brake and first gear only. Nothing else to think about and I don't need to go over 90 down there. Complicated confuses us old guys and speed is scary.

I make the gap real simple for me, front brake and first gear only. Nothing else to think about and I don't need to go over 90 down there. Complicated confuses us old guys and speed is scary.

Yah agreed, except 1st isn't that tall for me. 2nd to 3rd was about it on the gap for me. 3rd to 4th for the skyway.

• 6 months later...
Excessive speed, passing on the double yellow line, reckless driving. Those bikes will make good hood ornaments. Just dont kill someone else when you kill yourself

you should probably just kill yourself before they do. it's the only way to be safe from these hoodlums.

Excessive speed, passing on the double yellow line, reckless driving. Those bikes will make good hood ornaments. Just dont kill someone else when you kill yourself

Spoken like a true cruiser rider that has no idea what they are talking about.

Now, if you open the pea sized brain and discuss like a normal person, I am willing to listen. But, first post is this? Come on, dude..

Now, I agree that the folks posting ids of cars crossing lines and doing stupid shit is partially due to the fact we are a motorcycle website. However, you are right - there are a slew of idiots and low experienced riders extending themselves and doing stupid shit on bikes all the time. I am sure there are plenty of threads on car sites...

That being said, I didn't watch every minute of VW's videos, but I didn't see any riding that would make me think they are or were acting like idiots when they ride. I saw some pretty smart riding, actually.

Plus, VW is a decent rider that betters himself via track days and the like to garnish even more ability. I respect that and think a LOT more people need to take that route to better themselves out there on the street.

I am willing to lay a large sum of money that VW has a larger reserve tank of ability than you do on your happy scooter you ride. You can deny and we can bicker back and forth about it, but I know what VW rides like and know what his mentality is towards riding and I can promise you that he isn't one of the guys you are lumping together as in what you described.

As for your comment, I suspect that is from the accident that Seth was in. Listen... When things go bad, we react as humans. How much is in reserve is what will help or hurt you on the street and anywhere else. He was involved in an accident that had a guy cross the line. I think maybe Seth might have target fixed on the guy, but where his skid mark is, he wasn't on the outside edge - even though that would have been a fine enough spot to be. Looks like he was in the middle before turn in and that's perfectly fine. He was collected due to rider error on the other guy's part. But, I am willing to bet, you're one of those perfect riders that never makes mistakes, right? So, the guys that do are hoodlums and assholes and make you look bad as a biker...

Try a little harder to look at things a little more clear and then respond. Again, I am with you on the fact that there are a ton of idiots on the wrong bike doing the wrong things. But, this story that is being told is full of those people. VW's good folks and the other guys in the pics, I have met and seen ride and can say that I don't think they are hoodlums either. Maybe bad looking in terms of looks, but they can't help that!:p

Wow, great first post (roughly 4 months after you joined). I would think that a introductory post would have been nice but you chose to snipe, novel approach.

:welcome3::snarky: