Big Mileage Riders look here!

Ziggy

I'm going on vacation next week to Northern Va to spend some time with family and friends. I'm taking the bike, the wife and kids will follow in the car. So the question is this... Knowing that the bulk of the luggage will be in the car with the rest of the family, what would you pack on your bike? Rain gear, phone, mp3 players are already considered standard/daily items.

I ride a slightly modified VStar 650 Classic, and have a pair of saddlebags and a tank bag for luggage. I don't have a sissy bar bag or a "driver's" backrest, but I'm going to be keeping an eye out for something to lean on.

The route I have mapped out takes me northeast on OH22 to Lancaster before dropping onto 33 toward Athens, then on to 32/50 and eventually 50 east all the way to VA. Mileage is 432 each way, Google Maps says 8.5 hours to go straight through.

400 miles is nothing, especially on easy roads. Some of the rides here are that long with all of the twisty roads. On my sport bike I am able to fill a tank bad with some of my clothes and then lean on it. The boredom is the biggest issue I have ever faced on a long ride

I've done several 200+ mile days, and racked up 300 during the scavenger hunt last year, but this'll be the first time I've put up a 400+ mile day, and for all of those miles to be going away from home is totally new to me. I think I might not be so concerned if my wife didn't keep asking if I'm sure I want to do this... :roll:

. The boredom is the biggest issue I have ever faced on a long ride

Especially 50 in W.Va , it all looks alike , from Pburg to Clarksburg anyway , it will get boring .

But as far as for packing on the bike , I'd say what you mentioned would be enough for just a 1 day trip , wouldn't want to take more than you will need .

Have a safe trip !:D

I should have mentioned, part of the reason for riding is that I intend to do an Iron Butt later this summer or fall, and I'm kinda looking at this as an opportunity to fine tune packing options, I suppose it's mostly to figure out how comfortable I can make the ride, you know?

Edited by Ziggy

things in NEED on the bike:

- sun screen

- cell phone

- directions (I assume the 'chase vehicle' has GPS, but if you're separated...)

- rain gear, so your chase vehicle can keep moving if you have to stop.

- MEANS OF HYDRATION. Putting a "camel back" in my tank bag is one of the smartest things i've ever done. Allows you to drink w/o stopping.

I might be riding from Cleveland to Charleston in July. Like you, I'll be chasing a car (except they'll have left a day earlier), so light packing, but it's still good to plan.

things in NEED on the bike:

- sun screen

- cell phone

- directions (I assume the 'chase vehicle' has GPS, but if you're separated...)

- rain gear, so your chase vehicle can keep moving if you have to stop.

- MEANS OF HYDRATION. Putting a "camel back" in my tank bag is one of the smartest things i've ever done. Allows you to drink w/o stopping.

I might be riding from Cleveland to Charleston in July. Like you, I'll be chasing a car (except they'll have left a day earlier), so light packing, but it's still good to plan.

I have ridden with my camel back and all that it did for me was make me have to pee. With a range of 150 miles per tank a stop every two hours is sufficient. Dont carry bottles of gasoline there are more than enough gas stations

if you've got a car going the same place, don't pack a damn thing on the bike, just ride it.

pack everything you might need in the car.

Pretty much what I would do as well.

400 miles should be fairly easy, just stop every 100 or so for fuel and rest, you'll be fine. Not as if you can really get to anything while you are riding anyway, if it's in the car it shouldn't matter.

We all did 450-550 miles this past Saturday on the West Virginia ride.... You'll be fine. Last year's "daytrip" to Niagara Falls was 700 miles for me. That one was a bit rough.... mostly 'cause we did a lot of sightseeing up there, which led to us getting home verrrry late

That said.... All I usually take is the tank bag & a backpack strapped to the rear seat. The "iffier" the weather is, the more I usually pack. Wide temp fluctuations or high chances of rain involve more gear, just to "be safe"

Since I'm staying off the Interstate, I figure fuel should be pretty easy to come by. I usually top off the tank at around 120 miles, so as long as I stop for a snack, drink, stretch, and fuel every couple of hours, I shouldn't have any problems that way. I am putting all of my clothes and other stuff in the car. Everything except the motorcycle specific stuff. Space in the cage is going to be somewhat limited though, as it is a Saturn Vue, and the wife is going to have both kids, the dog, and all of the stuff for 2 weeks out of town.

IBW: I had never considered carrying an extra clutch cable... I do need to add zip ties, hose clamps, wire, and electrical tape to the tool bag. Thanks for that!