dyna beads balancing

oldschoolsdime92

I'm not as interested as why the big companies don't adopt it, but more interested in why the tire makers are voiding warranties for the usage...

Maybe the companies with multi million/billion dollar research teams know something the DynaBeads research team doesn't.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not as interested as why the big companies don't adopt it, but more interested in why the tire makers are voiding warranties for the usage...

Maybe the companies with multi million/billion dollar research teams know something the DynaBeads research team doesn't.

I think people are confusing the liquid balancing stuff with the dynabeads.

metzeler's site clearly says "liquid balancer".

it's all in Theory. which sounds wonderful. of course it does when the seller tells you about them. lol

but I want to see a tire on a balance machine balance itself.

I think people are confusing the liquid balancing stuff with the dynabeads.

metzeler's site clearly says "liquid balancer".

it's all in Theory. which sounds wonderful. of course it does when the seller tells you about them. lol

but I want to see a tire on a balance machine balance itself.

I didn't read the tire warranty stuff too in depth. I worked at Goodyear for a stint... I know they do a LOT of testing on their tires... not surprising... but still, it's an insane amount of testing.

well, all I can say is that it worked well for me, so far for the 45 miles I have ridden. I have never had a motorcycle tire that wore evenly and did not cup for whatever reason, on a few different motorcycles. I had a slight vibration after installation of new tires, and did not have the ability to balence my single sided swing arm wheel. Had the beads, figured what the hell. They worked for me. I feel this has turned into an "oil" thread. I was just asking if anyone else used them and what PERSONAL experience was had around here. Although I enjoyed reading the arguments, on them I suppose I will keep you guys up to date and do my own "research project" and see how they work over the long run.

All I have left to say is that I have ridden my bike without them, gone home, put the beads in the same tires without removing the tires (so they were in the same spot on the rim) and then rode on the same road at about the same speed and the difference is what sold me on them.

Some states have banned the use of lead wheel weights so do they not warranty tires sold in those states?

Bismuth can be used, same as "no lead" shotgun shells. It's heavy, and isn't toxic like lead. You could use silver, gold or platinum, of course, but other than the high cost, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't stay on your wheel very long...

Why don't you have a chart for regular passenger cars?

We don't market to cars and SUV's due to the high performance style of those tires, which are low and wide.

Dynabeads is not the only brand out there! The brand we have at the shop is specifically for cars and trucks. I think the beads might larger diameter.

here's one good question I think we should all be asking,

if it truly worked, why doesn't Ford or Chevy or Honda or BMW come with Dynabeads? If they could get rid of all the cost of balancing tires and wheels in an assembly plant, and replace it with a squirt or two of these magic beads don't you think they would?

Cost. Why put 3 or 4 ounces of beads in a tire, when they can balance them conventionally and use 1.5 ounces of cheaper lead.

here's another person claiming he's a engineer. and pretty much said what I was saying.

I'm a mechanical engineer and here's what I know about the physics involved. As the wheel spins, the beads are going to be propelled outwards via centrifugal force. If there is any one spot on the inside of the tire that is further away from the center (axle in this case), that is where the beads would end up. Given the modern tire manufacturing makes for are very uniform tire, I don't think there is such a spot, unless it's a really cheap, crappy tire. (On a side note, modern tires are so well made that when you change a tire, you can typically leave the wheel weights on and it'll be very well balanced as the wheels are more out of balance than the rubber. It's been discussed at length here. Do a search). Now, if there is indeed an out of balance situation, the heavy spot on the tire is going to cause that spot to be pulled a little further away from the axle via the same centrifugal force and the beads will want to settle there thus increasing the out of balance situation. The physics of the system dictate that the beads should make the balance situation worse. On bigger vehicles, like trucks, the insanely huge mass of the tires is such that the beads have little noticable effect. I think that those who swear by them are suffering from the placebo effect. On a motorcycle, where the rotational mass is less and if the tires are perfectly (or very nearly so) round, my guess is that the beads distribute themselves pretty evenly as the tire gets up to speed and provide virtually no effect one way or the other.

From working on cars, and mounting and balancing tires is part of that, I can tell you that it is RARE that you'll need the same weight on new tires. That little thing discredits the whole post. If someone is that delusional, I have no reason to listen to them.

Speaking of which, what kind of oil do you use? :p

The cheapest stuff on the shelf at Walmart. :rolleyes:

How often do you ride any long distance at those speeds? My guess would be never so does it really make any difference if your tires are out a couple ounces from being perfect at those low speeds?

Uhm.. unless your always jumping on a highway, I would say your riding at 25-35mph at least 40% of the time.

Uhm.. unless your always jumping on a highway, I would say your riding at 25-35mph at least 40% of the time.

If your tire is bad enough that 25-35 is too rough without being static balanced, I'd be getting a new one before putting another mile on it!

Where were they out of balance from the weight added?

No they were out of balance from normal wear.

I worked at Goodyear for a while. We had customers that would religiously come in for a tire rotation and balance every 3,000 or 6,000 miles. Very rarely will the tires not need to be rebalanced after 3 or 6k.

Edited by chevysoldier

Go read my post....since no one reads...that will tell you what happened with mine...they snowballed into bigger ceramic beads on my front tire but worked fine in the rear

That's what happens when crap gets in your tires. Water=crap as well, when it comes to tires. I can't tell you how many car tires I've removed to find the wheels corroded BADLY around the bead. A lot of this moisture comes from the INSIDE, from compressed air that's not been run through a drier.

I absolutely despise riding on the highway because it bores me. I stick to 10-15 over the posted limit and say fuck school zones.