dyna beads balancing

oldschoolsdime92

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you guys read my edit on my very first post, I attempted to fix it. I was unable to edit the title.

Yeah, I hate that you can'T go edit the title. I guess that keeps people from changing it to something totally different? :dunno:

Edited by chevysoldier
Forgot 'T

I can understand an engineer saying that objects would go to the lowest point in the tire, and perhaps make it worse. But I've done enough engineering, (and known enough engineers), to disagree. At first I thought that would be the obvious truth. But then realized that this is a dynamic situation, not a static condition. So if the little objects intending to balance are round, they will be constantly in motion inside the tire (when the tire is turning). And I'm guessing they will settle on a dynamic equilibrium inside the tire. This kinda explains why the darn things work. Dynamic imbalances will settle out and go away on their own, if free to move to a state of equilibrium. But I still can't explain exactly why it would work. I had a clue at one time, but can't remember now. A liquid inside the tire should work just as well.

Or... it's magic...

But seriously, balancing a tire is more than simple rotational correction. There is a side to side imbalance that should be checked and fixed on a high speed tire also. More likely on wide car tires than on motorcycle tires. Different methods exist, but there are standards for mounting and balancing a tire.

If your tire is bad enough that 25-35 is too rough without being static balanced, I'd be getting a new one before putting another mile on it!

The point is not how how of balance a tire is. The point is that I want my tire balanced 100% of the time and not 80% of the time for wear and safety issues.

The point is not how how of balance a tire is. The point is that I want my tire balanced 100% of the time and not 80% of the time for wear and safety issues.

I'm saying that the time that tire is turning slow enough that the beads don't work is slower than a minor out of balance will effect anything, when considering wear or safety. The tire would have to be total crap to be out of balance enough to matter at that low of a speed.

still no one has ever proven they work. you can't always feel a unbalanced tire. hell I seen a guy riding down the highway one day with his front tire bouncing off the ground. he just happen to exit at the same exit as I. so I mentioned it to him and he was shocked that it was doing so and said he couldn't feel it. that just proves you can't feel it. but your suspension can.

put a tire on a balancing machine with them in there and video tape it balancing itself.

it's that simple. then post it all over the internet to prove they work. why hasn't anyone especially innovative balancing.com done this?

until then, I still call it snake oil.

Edited by serpentracer

There are lots of videos with bearings and other bs... I still find the original postings hilarious.

"This works on the physics principle"

That's a lot like saying motorcycles run thanks to the gravity effect. Sure it may apply in some aspect it's still an absurd jump to make.

still no one has ever proven they work. you can't always feel a unbalanced tire. hell I seen a guy riding down the highway one day with his front tire bouncing off the ground. he just happen to exit at the same exit as I. so I mentioned it to him and he was shocked that it was doing so and said he couldn't feel it. that just proves you can't feel it. but your suspension can.

put a tire on a balancing machine with them in there and video tape it balancing itself.

it's that simple. then post it all over the internet to prove they work. why hasn't anyone especially innovative balancing.com done this?

until then, I still call it snake oil.

I don't think I've ever seen a spin balancer that spins fast enough for them to work. Also, the tire hitting the road has more to so with it than a spin balancer can simulate.

This thread makes me LOL.. Ive come to the conclusion that no one is going to change their mind no matter how much the laws of physics explain things. So, Ive decided Im going to let everyone be right and just laugh and enjoy my statically balanced tires and let them enjoy those beads rolling, bouncing, and doing god knows what inside their tires until someone can 100% show that it works and no more of this "they feel better to me" type answers....

So with that said.. GLWS....

Edited by flounder

Since someone mentioned tires bouncing happily up and down when they felt smooth like no problem... it makes me wonder if dynabeads are a complete balancing. It might be just smoothly out of balance... I will stick with tire weights also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skY6qvzpNXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg&feature=PlayList&p=16ED3821AC02A14F&playnext_from=PL&index=2

Edited by ReconRat

niether of those prove anything. a plastic bottle? really? that proves your tire is balanced? it still looks all jacked up anyway.

the first video, that shows a tire spining on a fucking home made rack of some kind.

that's not a tire balancer.

I want to see a video of a real balancing machine showing in a display if the tire is balanced. stop the tire, put a weight on it in any spot and spin it again and lets see the display say it's balanced.

not a home made spinning machine a real tire balancer.

http://www.ammcoats.com/products_wheel.aspx?id=169

Edited by serpentracer

I don't think I've ever seen a spin balancer that spins fast enough for them to work. Also, the tire hitting the road has more to so with it than a spin balancer can simulate.

so you're saying a real balancer doesn't spin a tire fast enough to properly balance it?

then I guess you should notify all the balancer companies they are doing it wrong.:D

you know what I just might do it myself.

my uncle works at a muffler shop and they have those high dollar balancers with the computer screens etc.

I just might buy a damn bag of those beads and find out myself. I'll have to see if his employer is down with it first.

to be honest I want them to work. for one no ugly weights stuck to my rims. two, it's a hell of a lot easier. and 3 if it stays balanced over the life of the tire

Edited by serpentracer

Anybody remember those old tire balancers that spun the tire on the car? The instructions said not to, but we used to run them up to 100-120 to get a smooth high speed balance. After a first pass at balancing, at a lower speed, of course.

edit: I've seen the newer balancers at the tire shops spinning at a very slow speed. I can't figure how it's doing anything worth while...

Anybody remember those old tire balancers that spun the tire on the car? The instructions said not to, but we used to run them up to 100-120 to get a smooth high speed balance. After a first pass at balancing, at a lower speed, of course.

We had one of those in Auto Shop at Westerville North. It looked like it was from the 60's but yer right, it balanced the hell out of a wheel.

you know what I just might do it myself.

my uncle works at a muffler shop and they have those high dollar balancers with the computer screens etc.

I just might buy a damn bag of those beads and find out myself. I'll have to see if his employer is down with it first.

to be honest I want them to work. for one no ugly weights stuck to my rims. two, it's a hell of a lot easier. and 3 if it stays balanced over the life of the tire

I want to see them work with a really crappy rim, and a really crappy tire...

I got dyna beads along with a tire change from CSS... And I have mixed feelings. The beads seem to keep the tire in balance most of the time, but bumps in the road can throw the tire out of balance.

Being on of those "enginerds", my somewhat educated guess is that the beads stick to the tire carcass until some tire oscillation throw them off. Of coure if the tire is balanced, then the beads stay put. If the tire is not balanced they would tend to stick on the side closest to center (the "light" side). When I hit a bump they must be thrown off the carcass and bounce around until another equilibrium is met.

Enginerdiness aside, my educated butt tells me wheel weights would be better. Next tire change I will be using stick on weights.