Honda CB 750?

Zorro

I'm researching 1969-1978 Honda CB 750. Anyone got any first hand information on these? I can google :)

Anyway, I came across a 1977 CB 754...yeah...a 754. Not sure if it was a typo or not, but the first page of the google search showed a few results...mostly forum stuff and cb 750 stuff.

Any info on these machines would be great. Thanks!

I'm researching 1969-1978 Honda CB 750. Anyone got any first hand information on these? I can google :)

Anyway, I came across a 1977 CB 754...yeah...a 754. Not sure if it was a typo or not, but the first page of the google search showed a few results...mostly forum stuff and cb 750 stuff.

Any info on these machines would be great. Thanks!

typo, it means 750-4 (denoting an inline 4 cylinder engine.)

I have been dealing with these for quite a while, so any specific questions i'd be glad to try and help.

Edited by magley64

there is a 77 in my shed with a 79, if you come up with a decent offer i bet dad would let them go and reclaim some shed space.

I'm looking for a bike to build a cafe racer. Hopefully these are in running condition but not immaculate. i'd hate to modify one in original condition...these seem to carry some demand.

what's the condition and what are you looking to get out of them?

the 79...is this a DOHC?

as for the 77, this isnt one of those rare permanent cast moldings? I think they only did those the first year or so.

I have a '71 (I'm pretty sure) CB 750 frame in decent shape I'd sell cheap.

We also have a rack of carbs (in decent shape) and an engine (seized, but the bottom end is good), plus a fair bit of odds and ends.

Just lemme know if you're interested in any of it.

I have a '71 (I'm pretty sure) CB 750 frame in decent shape I'd sell cheap.

We also have a rack of carbs (in decent shape) and an engine (seized, but the bottom end is good), plus a fair bit of odds and ends.

Just lemme know if you're interested in any of it.

Is it a rolling frame?

As for the engine...man, I'm clueless when it comes to engine work. Not sure i wanna get involved with that.

Is it a rolling frame?

As for the engine...man, I'm clueless when it comes to engine work. Not sure i wanna get involved with that.

When we got it, I think we decided that the front end, shocks, and front wheel were pretty crappy. The forks would need a rebuild, the front wheel was just cruddy and rusty. We basically got the cb750 and two Yamaha Secas from a guy at a garage sale, and it had all been sitting for a while.

It's all here, though-- if you wanted the frame, we'd probably just throw most of that stuff in in case you could find a use for some of it.

yeah, 79 - 81 is dohc, and has bigger carbs.

I was thinking of sticking to SOHC...

convince me otherwise? I'm at the tip of the iceberg with this model bike. I've been throwing around the idea of a cafe racer...saw one at the track...cb 400. Guy told me to stick with the SOHC...easier to maintain. Hell if I know. I'm not doing engine work...at least I dont think I am. So, should I go with the later model DOHC?

why did honda switch from sohc to dohc?

I wouldn't try to convince you either way, they are both solid engines.

DOHC is going to be cheaper and easier to find, because the sohc engines are in the real collectible ones (for some reason the early 70's go for a kings ransom on ebay)

Edited by magley64

why did honda switch from sohc to dohc?

I wouldn't try to convince you either way, they are both solid engines.

DOHC is going to be cheaper and easier to find, because the sohc engines are in the real collectible ones (for some reason the early 70's go for a kings ransom on ebay)

I think the reason they are so desired is if you have an older Honda frame the SOHC 750 engine is the only big motor that will fit. The newer DOHC engine you will have alignment issues with the sprockets. So i've been told.

Zorro: Why did you go with the cl 450 with a 750 motor? It looks like you're making a bobber out of it?

As for years and models, how compatible are the parts? How easily/difficult are parts to obtain?

Thanks for the info.

Instead of PMing each other someone else may be able to school us both:D

But anyways the CL had that motor in it when i got it. Got it in a Craigslist trade. Also got another motor parts bike and other random parts. The look im going for is the Bobber/Rat look. As far as compatablility of the parts im not to sure.

Parts seem to be easy to obtain. There are plenty of parts bikes out there. I do know that the mechanical voltage regulators and rectifiers are obsolete. You can only by a used 35 yr old parts or switch to newer electronic ones from a newer bike. And if you cant find what you looking for just wing it. The taillights im using are actually beehive marker lights. With about 3 buck in electronic components you can turn a single filament bulb into a running/stop lamp. I may do a write up on it and put it into the How-to section.

Like i said before just dive right in, learn as you go and have fun with it!