Ohio Riders got a "bad ride review"

Casper

I was also on that ride. We never got over 60MPH untill 30mins into the ride. Any time you ride in a group the back of the pack has to ride faster than the front.Its the accordian or slinky effect or something like that Satan knows what I'm talking about.I don't think that it is good to be know as "badasses".I have ridden with most of the groups in central ohio at one point or anouther and this is defently not the fast group. some poeple are but as a whole this site is pretty conservative in their riding. On a side note that older guy on the ZX14 was scary. Everyone on the ride knows what I'm talking about 100 in the straits and 15 in the curves while leaning the wrong way. I had fun though.VFRs are for old men so anything over 50 was probably to fast for him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy should never go to Hocking Hills or on our Zanesville trip (Flounder and Putty know what I'm talking about!)

Ah yes, the zainsville trips.. never would I have though there was a place to reach and maintain 175+mph for an extended period of time. I remember coming back after the first trip and putty called me as soon as he got home and told me my headers were glowing orange after a nice long stretch. gotta love Ti..

my headers were glowing orange

That's awesome! You have more than one header!! How did you get that!? You must have a super duper special bike!!! You got like, a vtwin 1000!?!?

Sorry. It is cool you got it to glow though. I haven't seen that on a n/a bike before. You're probably running lean.

actually glowing headers is usually from not having enough timing in the motor. The fuel is still burning and heating up as it comes out past the valve and into the exhaust instead of cooling as it hits the pipe, it's still heating and expanding, thus making the pipes hotter and glow. And it's not cool, it sucks and is a good way to burn up exhaust valves and seats. If you've got a PC3 on it try putting more timing into it, should solve the problem

Let me lead that guy on the VFR and he'll really be whining. The CORE group got upset with me as well for going consistently too fast all day, but that's what sportbikes are for. I haven't ridden with them since, but certainly harbor no ill will. They got mad because I smoked you-know-what and they thought I would be dangerous, but me and one other guy got through a particular corner on 555 that all the rest of them ran off on, and one crashed, so who's dangerous now? My Gixxer had only dead bugs on it at the end of the day, not mud like the rest of them!

I am careful, as anyone who's ever ridden with me knows. One can go relatively fast, and Rocky knows what I'm talking about, while still being conservative. We do it all day long.

Sounds like that group just has a different agenda, that's all, and they're welcome to and supposed to ride at whatever pace they wish. I just wish I had been on that ride cause they would've probably bailed partially into the trip, since they couldn't keep up, or a some of us would have gotten tired of waiting for them continually and eventually disappeared.

It has happened many times before, so now I'm selective on whom I call to go riding, for their conveinence as well as ours. Stevan and many others of you know whom I'm talking about, you're welcome anytime. I'm not the fastest on here by any means but I like to ride pretty hard all day long since it's how I grew up and some get tired of it after a while simply because they're not used to it, that's all.

I hope I don't sound like an elitist prick. I'm really not. Anyone who's been on a ride with me knows we always wait for everyone, and truthfully I spend just as much time looking in my mirrors as ahead continually just to ensure everyone is together and no one gets lost since I lead people so far away from home.

So bashers, I guess that's why we ride at different paces, because there are different paces. Call us what you will, but please YELL LOUD because I won't be able to hear you very long from so far behind us! And never ride too far over your head and wreck, because it certainly can and will change your life dramatically in a heartbeat. And that's not good.

That's awesome! You have more than one header!! How did you get that!? You must have a super duper special bike!!! You got like, a vtwin 1000!?!?

Sorry. It is cool you got it to glow though. I haven't seen that on a n/a bike before. You're probably running lean.

Wow.. redicoulous comment but hey whatever..

1 header = 4 pipes = headers as in a pipe for each exhaust port.

It was night, which is the only reason you could see them glow.

actually glowing headers is usually from not having enough timing in the motor. The fuel is still burning and heating up as it comes out past the valve and into the exhaust instead of cooling as it hits the pipe, it's still heating and expanding, thus making the pipes hotter and glow. And it's not cool, it sucks and is a good way to burn up exhaust valves and seats. If you've got a PC3 on it try putting more timing into it, should solve the problem

Im waiting for Bazzaz to release their Fi unit and I will be getting that. Then I can control all 8 injectors instead of just the 4 primary like the PC does.

The reason you could see them glow was due to the fact that it was pitch black out, they are Ti, and the fact that we were running the bikes pretty hard for an extended period of time. basically WOT. You could just tell they were hot. Not like I had neons or some shit under there.

Riding like that causes the pipes to get a bit warm. If it was day time, you would have never noticed. I guarantee that anyone that goes for a ride like that will most likely notice the same thing to some extent. You should also note that like I said, I have Ti header(s) "is that better satan" Most bikes come with Stainless although more and more are coming with Ti. (aka all the GSXR1K now)There is a substantial difference in the way the materials heat up and dissipate heat. Also there is generally a difference in wall thickness between the 2.

ah, being Ti and at night, yeah you prob don't have much of an issue, but controling injectors doesn't have much to do with it, it's a timing issue. Adding fuel to a vehicle with glowing headers will make the headers stop glowing, but it's just a bandaid not a fix. Adding extra fuel acts to cool the charge since there will be unburnt fuel at the end of the combustion cycle, it absorbs the heat and vaporizes. This costs you power and wastes fuel. Advancing the timing makes the ignition event occur earlier in the cycle giving the fuel more time to burn, and subsequently cool, before the exhaust valve opens.

Glowing headers being a sign of an engine running lean is an internet myth.

But i doubt you have a problem anyway.

ah, being Ti and at night, yeah you prob don't have much of an issue, but controling injectors doesn't have much to do with it, it's a timing issue. Adding fuel to a vehicle with glowing headers will make the headers stop glowing, but it's just a bandaid not a fix. Adding extra fuel acts to cool the charge since there will be unburnt fuel at the end of the combustion cycle, it absorbs the heat and vaporizes. This costs you power and wastes fuel. Advancing the timing makes the ignition event occur earlier in the cycle giving the fuel more time to burn, and subsequently cool, before the exhaust valve opens.

Glowing headers being a sign of an engine running lean is an internet myth.

But i doubt you have a problem anyway.

the bazza unit will have the ability to control more then just the injectors. Its really going to put a hurtin on the PC once its released. Supposed to be Jan as of now.

Any bike will make the header glow .............riding a wheelie for a while will make it glow ...then blow up!!!!!!Why is this? Does it have anything to do with fuel.....I was only going 60 to 70 most of the time.I ask because I have read that all of the bikes made w/ fuel injection tend to ware out fuel pumps ...Is this true?I have replaced a bad fuel pump but it had a lot of miles!!Or is the motor having a hard time oiling the motor itself or at the top of the head...? Does that even matter?

Any bike will make the header glow .............riding a wheelie for a while will make it glow ...then blow up!!!!!!Why is this? Does it have anything to do with fuel.....I was only going 60 to 70 most of the time.I ask because I have read that all of the bikes made w/ fuel injection tend to ware out fuel pumps ...Is this true?I have replaced a bad fuel pump but it had a lot of miles!!Or is the motor having a hard time oiling the motor itself or at the top of the head...? Does that even matter?

Super long wheelies can definitely heat your motor up due to the possibility of oil starvation as the oil pickup is generally in the front and does not get as much if any oil when on 1. Ive heard both sides of this argument but they make an oil pickup relocation kit which locates the pickup at the back for a reason. If its at the back, you always will get oil pickup on 1 wheel.

Super long wheelies can definitely heat your motor up due to the possibility of oil starvation as the oil pickup is generally in the front and does not get as much if any oil when on 1. Ive heard both sides of this argument but they make an oil pickup relocation kit which locates the pickup at the back for a reason. If its at the back, you always will get oil pickup on 1 wheel.

True story :stupid: Thats how I got my bike, guy was a "stunter" so he was mad cool yo, rode a wheelie for over 1/2 a mile, oil starved motor decided to spit out a con rod bearing. I bought the frame and plastic, threw a new motor in it. Not a bad deal on my end. Sucked for him.

True story :stupid: Thats how I got my bike, guy was a "stunter" so he was mad cool yo, rode a wheelie for over 1/2 a mile, oil starved motor decided to spit out a con rod bearing. I bought the frame and plastic, threw a new motor in it. Not a bad deal on my end. Sucked for him.

and you got rid of the 100 tooth rear sprocket :lol:

A lean condition WILL make the header glow.

Under normal conditions an engine will stall from a lean condition thats producing hot enough temps to make a stainless pipe glow red in daylight, unless your going stupid lean on N20, and if thats the case, headers are the least of your worries, you should start looking at pistons and combustion chambers for holes.

Any newer bike ridden hard at night will have even glowing headers even a stock one. This glowing is not a good way to diagnois any problems.Bikes usually don't have timing problems but it is possible.

Yes, We've already covered that. Along with materials used, the insanely high speed of a sport bike engine lends it's self to inefficiencies. spinning at 14+k rpms doesn't give the fuel enough time to fully burn in the exceptionally short combustion stroke so it will still be burning as it goes out the exhaust, even if it's timed and fueled perfectly.

Its true.. you can get almost all of them to glow under the right conditions.

aka night and running the piss out of them.

By 'right conditions', do you mean doing roll-ons from Zanesville to Columbus on a hot summer evening, with the trip lasting about 35 minutes?!;)