Vintage bikes

jmwildi

Anyone know of any vintage bikes for sale? I'm looking for a project so a bike that needs work and attention is a plus. Make and model is not a huge issue so long as it's more cruiser than sportbike. Looking for mid 70's and earlier. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... so long as it's more cruiser than sportbike. Looking for mid 70's and earlier.

Since sportbikes didn't come into being until the 80's.... I think you're safe there ;)

We have a ton of stuff-- how complete are you looking for? We've got frames and engines and such for a couple of different models.

I'm not looking to build a bike from scratch, that'll come later. Looking for something closer to a restoration project. Something to fix up and possibly bob out, depending on the bike. You'll have to forgive me but when you say "We have a ton of stuff" who is "We"?

Large Man with Dead Body: Who's that then? The Dead Collector: I dunno, must be a king. Large Man with Dead Body: Why? The Dead Collector: He hasn't got shit all over him.

Edited by jmwildi

Large Man with Dead Body: Who's that then? The Dead Collector: I dunno, must be a king. Large Man with Dead Body: Why? The Dead Collector: He hasn't got shit all over him.

Here.... This one seems perfect for today....

"Help, HELP!!.... I'm being repressed!"

violence-inherent.png

Sorry, 'we' in this case refers to myself and my roommate, Hob13-- we're acquiring a fairly large pile of old and/ or dead bikes, either for us to work on or to part out. Sounds like none of what we have would interest you right now, since the only one that is a more or less ready-to-go bike is the one we're currently restoring ourselves :p

Here.... This one seems perfect for today....

"Help, HELP!!.... I'm being repressed!"

violence-inherent.png

Come see the violence inherent in the system! Come see the violence inherent in the system!

Also, check out http://classicjapanesemotorcycles.com/ they've got some ready to go.

Sorry, 'we' in this case refers to myself and my roommate, Hob13-- we're acquiring a fairly large pile of old and/ or dead bikes, either for us to work on or to part out. Sounds like none of what we have would interest you right now, since the only one that is a more or less ready-to-go bike is the one we're currently restoring ourselves :p

Actually I don't care if it runs or not, non-running would be better in fact. I'm trying to improve / sharpen my mechanical skills and it may sound strange but the best way I know how to learn anything is to dive in head first and figure it out as I go along. Since I don't want to experiment with the bike I ride everyday, I figured an old non-running bike that I can work on is just the ticket. So actually you might have something along the lines of what I'm looking for.

I apreciate the info on the ready-to-go bikes but that's the opposite direction from what I'm looking for. My fault for not being more clear in my original post. ;)

Edited by jmwildi

I apreciate the info on the ready-to-go bikes but that's the opposite direction from what I'm looking for. My fault for not being more clear in my original post. ;)

You were clear, I just keep finding nice cheap clean old bikes. My bad. :D

Actually I don't care if it runs or not, non-running would be better in fact. I'm trying to improve / sharpen my mechanical skills and it may sound strange but the best way I know how to learn anything is to dive in head first and figure it out as I go along. Since I don't want to experiment with the bike I ride everyday, I figured an old non-running bike that I can work on is just the ticket. So actually you might have something along the lines of what I'm looking for.

What I meant is that with anything we have (besides our active project), you'd be looking at a frame-up build, instead of just fixing an otherwise complete bike. You'll probably have a more pleasant start if you watch craigslist for one like we just found: We got a 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 that a guy had started moving from an untitled whole bike onto a titled frame for $200. Needed carb work, some cosmetic stuff, and a little electrical babysitting- everything else was just unbolt, move, bolt on.

The CB 550 I have needs a little cosmetic work, but it has that classic cafe racer potential and that awesome four into four megaphone exhaust. needs some mechanical work but runs, sunfaded original tank with the orange striping and no dents at all. I am reasonable on price, and the bike just oozes classic, that's why I couldn't say no when I bought it myself.

The CB 550 I have needs a little cosmetic work, but it has that classic cafe racer potential and that awesome four into four megaphone exhaust. needs some mechanical work but runs, sunfaded original tank with the orange striping and no dents at all. I am reasonable on price, and the bike just oozes classic, that's why I couldn't say no when I bought it myself.

Those little bastards were damned near indestructible, too. Keep some kind of oil in them and they'll pretty much toddle along happily forever.