Dumping your bike

jmatczy

+1

i love when people say that they had to lay down the bike.. thats never even an option for me ever.. the bike can do it.. just whether the rider can. first thing i always tell new riders (on sportbikes at least) your bike can do more than you are willing, if you need to get out of a jam have faith your tires will hold

i love when people say that they had to lay down the bike.. thats never even an option for me ever.. the bike can do it.. just whether the rider can. first thing i always tell new riders (on sportbikes at least) your bike can do more than you are willing, if you need to get out of a jam have faith your tires will hold

Amen. Well...unless you're me and you're going in a straight line. Then you're fucked. :lol:

Most bikes can stop very quickly, but that ability is limited by the need to keep it upright-- locking and sliding, releasing and re-applying can definitely extend your stopping distance. This is part of why it's so important to have the best tires you can afford.

In the time that I had to make a choice dumping to me was the safest. Going left would of put me right into stopped traffic. Going left would of put me into a curb. I hit the breaks and i wasnt slowing fast enough to avoid the back of the car so i decided to lock the rear tire lean right and let it drop away from the traffic. I choose the best option for me at the time. It was a learning expierence, I will fix it up and be back on the road when I get back next year.

Yes I could of had more following distance between me and the car in front of me i totally agree with that I had a little over 1 car length going 40mph. More following distance for sure from now on and yes I will be takin the rider course next year. I havent had the time to take it in the last few years because of being over in Iraq.

In the time that I had to make a choice dumping to me was the safest. Going left would of put me right into stopped traffic. Going left would of put me into a curb. I hit the breaks and i wasnt slowing fast enough to avoid the back of the car so i decided to lock the rear tire lean right and let it drop away from the traffic. I choose the best option for me at the time. It was a learning expierence, I will fix it up and be back on the road when I get back next year.
Yes I could of had more following distance between me and the car in front of me i totally agree with that I had a little over 1 car length going 40mph. More following distance for sure from now on and yes I will be takin the rider course next year. I havent had the time to take it in the last few years because of being over in Iraq.

Glad you view it as a learning experience. Dumping your bike is never the best option but hind-sight is 20/20 ;)

At least your still here and able to learn from it.

Emergency bike braking is never any fun. But you have to practice it once in a while so you know how your ride reacts.

the tires are a big part in stopping so good tires good stopping power. i know guys who ride with belts in the tire showing and still stop a little. some tires flatten out and the front tire flattens but thats wear and tire companies know this.

Either you were following rediculously close or you have no idea how to use your brakes... your bike should be able to stop WAY quicker than any car on the road.

you're half right. following too closely, yes; but even a modern family sedan can out-brake a sportbike. It's a simple matter of the car having more rubber on the ground, and probably ABS.

A motorcycle is limited by its small contact patch and the point at which stopping power lifts the rear wheel.

But I agree that keeping the bike upright and continuing to brake is always a better way to find traction than laying the bike down. It's like Fred says at the track, "never tell me 'I had to run off into the grass' when you go down. I've never found MORE traction in the grass than on the pavement."

Emergency bike braking is never any fun. But you have to practice it once in a while so you know how your ride reacts.

This is the best advice out here IMO. every situation is different and every solution is varied. I think I'm a safe rider, but I'll there are times I haven't left a safe distance. I think we've all done that.

However, practicing emergency braking is the key to knowing the point at which your brakes start to lock up. Every spring that is one of the first drills I do to remind myself and shake out the cobwebs. Also at least once a month I practice again.

Find an out of the way parking lot and get up to about 25mph and brake both front and back with a progressively stronger pull. Keep it straight incase you do lock up. If you do lock up, just ride it out and maintain brake pressure. Now you know where the lock up point is. Do it again at 35mph and then 45 mph. If you have a buddy we usually stand to the side and then raise an arm to indicate when to emergency brake. Doing it on your own tends to have you anticipate the emergency braking start.

The more you practice, the more your muscles will remember and react in the same way when you need it. This is saved me on NUMEROUS occasions.

Also remember the 12 second scan ahead rule.

The good news is you'll remember your gear next time. Not sure about you, but I'd rather sweat than ruin this perfectly good looking Adnois-like body. I'm just too damn pretty.

This is the best advice out here IMO. every situation is different and every solution is varied. I think I'm a safe rider, but I'll there are times I haven't left a safe distance. I think we've all done that.

However, practicing emergency braking is the key to knowing the point at which your brakes start to lock up. Every spring that is one of the first drills I do to remind myself and shake out the cobwebs. Also at least once a month I practice again.

Find an out of the way parking lot and get up to about 25mph and brake both front and back with a progressively stronger pull. Keep it straight incase you do lock up. If you do lock up, just ride it out and maintain brake pressure. Now you know where the lock up point is. Do it again at 35mph and then 45 mph. If you have a buddy we usually stand to the side and then raise an arm to indicate when to emergency brake. Doing it on your own tends to have you anticipate the emergency braking start.

The more you practice, the more your muscles will remember and react in the same way when you need it. This is saved me on NUMEROUS occasions.

Also remember the 12 second scan ahead rule.

The good news is you'll remember your gear next time. Not sure about you, but I'd rather sweat than ruin this perfectly good looking Adnois-like body. I'm just too damn pretty.

very good advice, i was wondering if this hot weather affects braking? i've noticed the past couple hot days i locked up easier but i was braking a little stronger but nothing out of the ordinary. also the flat spot on worn 180 or 190 tires in the middle probably increases tire contact but how is braking affected? mine are worn in the middle and it feels like sliding right on it wearing the middle down more. what compound tires are made out of have better braking power? i have a medium compound that have good mileage use on them. 2 yrs. and the middle is just getting worn down.

That might be some of the best advice given to someone who has a sportbike. Same goes with turns... if you get in too hot, get your ass off the seat and LEAN and look through the turn. It's when you give up that you crash.

That might be some of the best advice given to someone who has a sportbike. Same goes with turns... if you get in too hot, get your ass off the seat and LEAN and look through the turn. It's when you give up that you crash.

+1

2007 Toyota Camry published 60 mph braking distance = 173 feet w/ ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution

I found a study done regarding braking distances for motorcycles done by a Quebec safety council. The stopping distance was 200 ft from 60 mph for non-ABD and 193 feet for ABS bikes. Looking for the test bike they used for this.

Interesting, my 1980 KZ lists it at 152 feet from 60mph in the book.

Guess that would mean your Camry would hit a bump about 20 feet or so before it stopped. Yikes! :eek: