Best Place to do the CCW?

Supernova Mafia

Ohio Valley in Lancaster has a one day course. Its pretty expensive but you get to shoot in the DARK:eek:. Pretty cool. Also the Fairfield County Sheriff's office is easy to work with. (As far as CCW goes anyway. )

Aim Hi Shooting Range in New Albany has a CHL class. I have heard it is pretty thorough and very well done but I don't know that from first hand experience.

+1. I completed my class here. Very thorough one day class. Probably pricey compared to others though. I think it was around $125 back in 2004.

Cincinnaticcw.com

The ccw and chl classes are are tought by advanced shooting

Only $70 for the class

Just went through this class myself and had a great time!!!

No rental fees, they let you use their guns for free if you dont have one

Its a 12 hour program, 10 in class and 2hrs of range time.

Tell them Anderw Sent you

Thanks I will check it out, Question though:whats the difference between the CCW and CHL?

Same permit, different name. Concealed Carry Weapon... permit or Concealed Handgun License. If I'm wrong, Chevy will correct me. He done learned it good.

Same permit, different name. Concealed Carry Weapon... permit or Concealed Handgun License. If I'm wrong, Chevy will correct me. He done learned it good.

lol, I don't know about that. They get interchanged alot like you said, I tend to use them as what they literally stand for.

CCW is Concealed Carry Weapon, CHL is Concealed Hangun Licence. CCW is used in place of CHL quite a bit though but they are not really the same thing. I use CHL since I am referring to my permit and not my sidearm.

Looking at my license it does state: "License to Carry a Concealed Handgun", so I guess it really isn't a CCW. In fact, I argued with the guy at Buckeye Outdoors when he wouldn't sell me an auto-assist knife. "So I can carry around a loaded gun, but you are telling me that that knife would be illegal in my possession?".... "yep".

Back to the OP though, just find a place that is convenient and within your price-range. I really don't think you'll get anything more out of one than another. They have certain criteria to which they must adhere. Good luck! Any time we can add a gun to one more good guy, the world is a little safer.

Thanks,So in the end wether it's a CCW, CHL, CCP, CWP it's all the same,no differences in where I can carry or criteria for obtaining?

Usually they are interchanged, and some states refer to them as different names. But in the state of Ohio you will get a "Ohio License to carry a concealed handgun" That is what is says on the card. You apply for one at your county or adjacent county sheriff's office. Visit their site for information.

Places off limits:

- Police stations.

- Sheriffs’ offices.

- Highway Patrol posts.

- Premises controlled by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation.

- Correctional institutions or other detention facilities.

- Airport terminals or commercial airplanes.

- Institutions for the care of mentally ill persons.

- Courthouses or buildings in which a courtroom is located.

- Universities, unless locked in a motor vehicle or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.

- Places of worship, unless the place of worship permits otherwise.

- Child day-care centers.

- Licensed D-Liquor Permit premises in which any person is consuming liquor. Concealed firearms are banned in premises for which a D permit has been issued or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued. There are some exceptions to this prohibition. The prohibition does not apply to principal holder of D permit as long as principal holder is not consuming liquor. The prohibition does not apply to an agent or employee of the principal holder who is also a peace officer who is also off duty. Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as concealed carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, be certain of the type of permit and whether liquor is being consumed before you enter with a concealed handgun.

- Government facilities at which government employees are regularly present in the performance of their duties that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom is located.

- School safety zones, unless you are immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child and you do not exit the vehicle.

- Any private business which posts a sign prohibiting firearms or makes you aware of a policy prohibiting firearms.

Supernova:

http://morrowcountysheriff.com/ccw_and_background_checks.htm

All from their site:

To view a copy of the CCW booklet from the Attorney General:

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/2009_ccw_book.pdf

Effective July 18, 2009, the fees to obtain a CCW license/renewal will increase:

If you have lived in Ohio for five years or more:

New application: $67.00

Renewal application: $50.00

Emergency, temporary license: $37.00

If you have not lived in Ohio for five years, the fees are as follows:

New application: $91.00

Renewal application: $74.00

Emergency, temporary license: $61.00

Replacement license fee: $15.00

Please bring exact change - we do need keep cash on premises.

Items to bring with you to the Sheriff's Office:

1. Completed application - application must be the most current application, revision date of 09/09

2. Copy of certificate - for new applicants only

3. 2x2 passport type picture - for new applicants only

4. Payment - we accept cash, money orders and personal checks.

It is the policy of the Morrow County Sheriff's Office to ensure that a clear procedure for the issuance or denial of a concealed handgun license is established. Thereby ensuring the safety of our citizens in keeping unauthorized persons from trying to legally carry a concealed handgun and those lawful citizens in our community the ability to carry a concealed handgun, which is their constitutional right.

In order for Ohio residents to obtain a concealed carry license they must meet the following requirements, in accordance with Ohio Revised Code Section 2923.125(A):

1. At least 21 years of age

2. An Ohio resident at least 45 days and a resident of the county of application

(or an adjacent county) for at least 30 days.

3. Must have received a Certificate of Competency within 3 years prior to date

of application for new CCW application or within 6 years for a renewal application,

covering the training requirements

<or>

Produce a document that evidences the applicant with 6 years immediately

preceding the application date:

A. Is a retired law enforcement officer

B. Is an active or reserve member of the US Military

C. Has been honorably discharged from the US Military

D. And through participation in above employment the applicant

acquired experience in handling handguns and that experience

is equivalent to Training Requirements.

4. Applicant is not disqualified pursuant to criminal background check or mental

competency check, or retired as a result of a mental disability. Also, the

applicant is not prohibited by "Having Weapon While Under Disability"

5. Must have a color photo taken within 30 days of application

6. Attest that applicant has read pamphlet provided by OPOTC as specified and

also attest the handgun shall be carried for a lawful purpose.

7. Non-refundable fee at the time of application.

Anyone wishing to obtain a CCW license, must complete an application which can be picked up at the Morrow County Sheriff's Office along with the "Ohio's Concealed Carry Law" handbook.

CCW Prohibited Places of Carry

1. Police Station, Sheriff's Office or State Highway Patrol Post

2. Premises controlled by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation

3. Correctional institutions or other detention facilities

4. Airport terminals or commercial airplanes

5. Institutions for the care of mentally ill persons

6. Courthouses or buildings in which a courtroom is located

7. Universities, unless locked or in the process of being locked in a motor vehicle.

8. Places of worship, unless the place of worship permits otherwise.

9. Child daycare centers

10. Premises that dispense liquor. Concealed firearms are also banned in a room or arena in which liquor is dispensed for which a class D permit has been issued. A class D permit is generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. Be certain of the type of permit and whether liquor is being dispensed before you enter with a concealed handgun.

11. Buildings owned by the state or any political subdivision. Buildings under the control of the state or any of its political subdivisions, such as counties, cities and the like also prohibit concealed firearms. This prohibition also extends to all portions of any building that is leased by the state government. For example, it would extend to the floor of a private building that is leased by the government. Additionally, libraries, which are often funded through a consortium of governmental bodies, are covered by the statute.

12. School safety zones. Concealed handgun license holders must be especially cautious when entering school safety zones. A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to the property boundary. Under the law, an offense is within the vicinity of a school if it is committed within the property boundary or within 1,000 feet of the boundaries of any school premises.

13. Any place with a No Carry sign posted

I called the local sheriff department to find out who offered the classes here in Ross County. Turns out the guy I chose was my old Elementary School Principal. It cost $100 for the class. Then wife and father in law are taking his class next month. I was pleased with everything he covered.